Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I won't often hear a word against Carra but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was disappointed with his comments reported today (on the 4th round draw for the Cup) that winning the FA Cup this year would be a "fitting tribute" to the fans that died nearly 20 years ago at the Cup Semi-Final at Hillsborough.

Not disappointed with the sentiment, per se, of course any trophy Liverpool win is a "fitting tribute" to the fans that died going to support them. But I really hope the media don't pick up on this and tie any Liverpool run to the final this year in with the (much more appropriate) 20th-anniversary commemorations that will happen regardless in April.

It's mawkish, unnecessary and isn't something I'd want to detract from the football this year. Can you imagine if it ends up - by some chance - being Liverpool v Forest in this year's semi-final, around the anniversary of the tragedy, mirroring the game that took place in 1989? Could Forest be "allowed" to win under that kind of pressure, in the circumstances, and still be seen as this year's "good guys", even though they should be, if they got that far and deservedly knocked out a Premier team in the semis?

The 96 will be remembered this year, and so will Kelvin McKenzie. Carra, and others, don't turn this year's Cup - please - into some kind of ill-intended "destiny tribute".

"scouser in inappropriately mawkish witless yabbering shocker"

Comment

Yes, we should learn from Man U, who go out of their way to make sure that every European campaign in years ending in 3 or 8 doesn't end up as a horribly contrived "anniversary tribute" to the Busby Babes.

Comment

it's so witless and mawkish that even you were sickened.

what's this 3 business?

Comment

The xtyfifth anniversary.

Personally, I think every time we take to the field in European competition we're paying tribute to the Babes.

Comment

I knew that, I just didn't remember the 45th memorial campaign for the european cup.

Comment

Of course you do, it was the one that ended up 0-0 between Juve and Milan. At Hampden. The year Fergie was first going to retire if he'd won it.

Comment

it would seem that you don't remember it very well. It was at old trafford.

Comment

Hahahaha

Comment

Well quite, I don't. Didn't. Whatever. Probably the worst European Cup Final in history. There was a hell of a lot made of it being the x-tyfifth (as EIM put it) anniversary of the Munich disaster though; the final being at OT would explain that all the more, I recall so much of that spew coming from Fergie it's no wonder I misremember it being Hampden not Salford.

Comment

no, they were making a big deal of it being in manchester. Nobody really minded that much about which anniversary it was of the munich air crash.

and anyway, isn't there a fundamental difference about a team of footballers who died while trying to win an early european cup in defiance of the FA, and the almost inevitable victims of english football's lack of concern for health and safety standards.

The munich air disaster is connected to the European cup in a very particular way, whereas the hillsborough isn't really connected to the FA cup in any direct way. It could have happened a million times at any one of a million games.

Now Heysel.... that's another european cup tragedy

Comment

Probably the worst European Cup Final in history.

The first half of normal time was decent enough. After that it jumped off a cliff.

Comment

It was definitely the worst european cup final since the end of the pass back.

Comment

Working...
                          X