The most Irish looking man in the world re-emerges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend Jim and his sons were vacationing in California when they bumped into John O'Brien. Apparently he's in full-time education and plays soccer occasionally 'just for fun'.

He's still a cool dude, apparently.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireballs/3066970109/in/set-72157610342288423/

he's a nice guy alright, but I think it would be more accurate to call him perhaps the most Irish american looking man in the world, as you need a steady supply of sunshine to create all those freckles, and you're sure as fuck not going to get that here.

Comment

And there was me thinking David O'Leary had tossed his deluded hat into one of the many vacant managerial rings when I saw the thread title. Such a disappointment.

Comment

and you're sure as fuck not going to get that here.
        "Feck." The word is "feck." Haven't you watched Father Ted?

Comment

you wouldn't use feck in that context.

Comment

Yeah. "Feck" is used like a slightly stronger "flip".

Comment

Comment

This one still hurts. The most skillful player we ever produced (until recently)- and it was injury after injury. His goal vs Portugal in WC02 is in my top 5 football moments.

Comment

It's Venice Beach, California and he's wearing a fleece jacket and a wool hat. What did he dress in during winter in Holland ?

Comment

When he was fit he was very good.

Comment

I thought the thread title referred to Wayne Rooney

Comment

Comment

I thought the thread title referred to Wayne Rooney
                          This is you:

Comment

"This one still hurts. The most skillful player we ever produced (until recently)- and it was injury after injury."

His injury problems started with a metatarsal fracture that required an insert in his boot. This insert in turn caused undue pressure on his calf muscles, and achilles. These problems were exacerbated by training on rock-hard Californian pitches, and some incompetent sports medicine at Ajax. The later resulted in John having to fly an American physiotherapist to Amsterdam at his own expense. To no avail, sadly.

His dad Bill was a friend of mine. Made his millions producing a frozen juice bar for the greater New York area, called 'FrozeJuice'. He was building luxury homes on Maui last I heard from him.

Comment

Yeah. "Feck" is used like a slightly stronger "flip".
                              you know I was joking, right?

Comment

Dynamo Kev wrote:
                                His goal vs Portugal in WC02 is in my top 5 football moments.
                                My dad's name is John O'Brien (which is fairly similar to my own name), and when that goal went in I received about 20 texts in the next couple of minutes.

Comment

Why do you think I am Jerry Sadowitz, Toro?

Comment

He was signed most recently with Chivas USA. I think he maybe made one or two appearances as a sub. Too bad.

It's been pretty cold for out here recently, Vernons. But maybe our warm Southern California Decembers explains the Celtics' loss on Christmas, eh Vernons?

Comment

diarmuid Gavin has just presented the first part of a program called the blood of the irish, where he has taken over an hour to tell us that (a) 10% of the irish population is directly descended from one man (b) that the original post ice age settlers of ireland were from the north coast of spain. (We were basques originally apparently.)

Both of these facts have been in the public domain for a very fucking long time. This programme did have one or two interesting new facts. They found the 3,500 year old bones of a brown bear that was genetically indistinguishable from those from the north of spain.

I think that they're going to reveal to us that people walked from the basque country to Ireland across the landbridge when the ice retreated.

So basically a picture of two really Irish looking people fighting each other would look a hell of a lot like this.

I think he's also going to tell us that these people were pushed further westwards by subsequent invasions, which doesnt seem very implausible. The people in the west are predominantly dark haired, and blue eyed, the people of the midlands are disproportionately blonde haired and red haired, and the people from the east are very similar to the inhabitants of britain from the norman invasions through to cromwell.

The one man that left a particular marker on the y chromosome is almost certainly Niall of the nine Hostages, who ruled ulster, regularly invaded england and wales to capture slaves, and divided his kingdom between his eight sons, from which two counties get their name. Tyrone, or Eoghan's county, and donegal, or tir Connail.

his descendants ruled ulster for over a thousand years as the O'Neills and the O'Donnells and one in five ulster Males are direct line descendents.

This programme was followed by a documentary about the relationship between de valera and winston churchill who as far as I can make out spent the war absolutely hammered. He kept sending de valera drunken telegrams late at night. history doesn't record if churchill prefaced them with "R U Awake?"

Now they're showing mohammed ali being interviewed by cathal O'Shannon in 1972

Comment

Working...
                                      X