The Man City premium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Man City premium

I have a four four two tucked away somewhere from some time in early 2004 and they had a series of interviews about the players that are going to be the new exotic galacticos and set the world on fire with their glamour. The four players are Robinho, tevez, rooney and ronaldo. They now spend a lot of time in and around manchester.

Comment

The Man City premium

According to soccerbase; 27 years old, bought for £7M in 2003, 60 starts for Chelsea in five and a half seasons, a scarcely credible 32 caps for England. Who the hell knows what he is worth? I'm assuming he wouldn't move unless City are at least equalling his wages at Chelsea, how many clubs are there that would be prepared to do that? 4 or 5 maybe??? And only City are interested, it's a rich mans club, far removed from any real world sense of value. Where there is only one buyer and one seller there isn't a market price, it's more akin to a political agreement.

Comment

The Man City premium

When Bridge went to Chelsea for £7m he was a notoriously ever-present feature of what was a very impressive Southampton team (and those aren't my rose-tinted glasses).

What has raised his value by £7m in the intervening five years is not clear to me. But in terms of wild status changes over a five-year period, it's not my greatest preoccupation.

Comment

The Man City premium

Sorry if I seem hyperbolic about my team. I'd be more humble if I was less bitter.

Comment

The Man City premium

What has raised his value by £7m in the intervening five years is not clear to me.
            I am unaware how being injured a lot, raises your value. I'm sure Michael Owen would agree with me.

Comment

The Man City premium

Maybe it's to do with the building of suspense.

Comment

The Man City premium

Lucy Waterman wrote:
                When Bridge went to Chelsea for £7m he was a notoriously ever-present feature of what was a very impressive Southampton team (and those aren't my rose-tinted glasses).

What has raised his value by £7m in the intervening five years is not clear to me. But in terms of wild status changes over a five-year period, it's not my greatest preoccupation.
                It's only getting worse now Jack Cork has decided to (rather sensibly) jump the good ship in favour of Watford.

I'm not one for hyperbole myself but it is a reasonable question to ask if the club should get rid of Jan Poortvliet, even if there are few alternatives.

Comment

The Man City premium

There's always OTFs second favourite manager, Iain Dowie.

Comment

The Man City premium

I struggle to see how we could be performing better. I think Poortvliet's doing remarkably well under the cirumstances, especially when you compare his squad even to Nigel Pearson's.

Comment

The Man City premium

Lucy Waterman wrote:
                      I struggle to see how we could be performing better. I think Poortvliet's doing remarkably well under the cirumstances, especially when you compare his squad even to Nigel Pearson's.
                      I admit he plays remarkably good football but perhaps he, or a new manager, should change things round to play tough crappy football that squeezes out results. Of the teams around us, Doncaster and Nottingham Forest both play passing football and are getting mullered most weeks. Now Nottsinghams have hired Billy Davies, they have a great chance to grind their way up the league.

Not us though, not us.

Comment

The Man City premium

How can Southampton fail with the legend that is Dean Gorre on their staff?

Steve Bruce's best signing for us for a country mile.

Comment

The Man City premium

And I am the Life wrote:
                          I don't care how good at football robinho is,everything else about his life is a circus act, from giving up his £5 million slice of the transfer fee in order to become the lowest paid player at real madrid, even though he was hilariously supposed to be the new pele, the kidnapping of his mother, his borderline alcoholism, asking the bouncer if he could sort him out with 40 condoms, being drunk in training, the whole terrible fiasco of how madrid treated him this summer, and ultimately that he chose man city over Chelsea.

He is a circus act.
                          So based on their turbulent private lives and regardless of their ability on the field you would (and indeed must if you are being serious) consider the likes of Garrincha, Best and Gascoigne to be 'circus acts' too.

Comment

The Man City premium

Lucy Waterman wrote:
                            Maybe it's to do with the building of suspense.
                            Ha ha ha ha ha.

Comment

The Man City premium

Phoebe wrote:
                              Well, Rooney came from Everton in that era, and they also signed Sunderland's Bellion.
                              Excellent, thanks Phoebe. I knew I would be having a mental block and of course Rooney is one of them, I might have been going for months before remembering Bellion. So who was the Villa signing in that period?

Comment

The Man City premium

Dunno.

We sold the Djemba twins to Villa...

Comment

The Man City premium

Glass Half Empty wrote:
                                  According to soccerbase; 27 years old, bought for £7M in 2003, 60 starts for Chelsea in five and a half seasons, a scarcely credible 32 caps for England. Who the hell knows what he is worth? I'm assuming he wouldn't move unless City are at least equalling his wages at Chelsea
                                  The reports I have read claim that Bridge will take a drop in wages (from those established in his new contract signed last summer) but will receive bonuses from Chelsea (having not requested the transfer) and a signing-on fee from Man City that will assuage the loss.

Comment

The Man City premium

Harbinger of Hope wrote:
                                    What has raised his value by £7m in the intervening five years is not clear to me.
                                    I am unaware how being injured a lot, raises your value. I'm sure Michael Owen would agree with me.
                                    Has Bridge been injured a lot? Genuine question, hasn't it just been the case that he's been second choice for almost all his Chelsea career? He went on loan to Fulham for all or half a season as well, didn't he?

As to "what has raised his value by £7m in the intervening five years"; a) it's £3-5M isn't it? Based on the reports of the fee being at least/guaranteed £10M going up to a potential £12M. B) it's been five years of rampant transfer fee inflation, even for (or especially for) EPL squad players who have failed to really achieve what has been expected of them. Wait until we see the final bids for Craig Bellamy.

Comment

The Man City premium

Gazza was a circus act, and unfortunately gazza will die a circus act. Garrincha was arguably the best player in the world, whilst being a total mess, in a time where you probably could have a life that was a circus act, and also be a footballer. and george best had won the european footballer of the year, the european cup, and would carry an aging man utd team by himself for many years before going off the rails and becoming a wreck of a human.

Of course robinho is a circus act. Real madrid bought him as the new pele on the strength of seven stepovers in a row, and declared him as the new Galactico, when he was absolutely nothing of the sort. He was a tiny lightweight 18 year old who had a huge amount of developing to do. Then they treated him like shite when he was there and were surprised when it didn't go very well.

of course he's a circus act, he's the most expensive footballer in English history and he plays for you guys. Surely man city fans wouldn't have it any other way.

Comment

The Man City premium

Harri Xmas wrote:
                                        The reports I have read claim that Bridge will take a drop in wages (from those established in his new contract signed last summer) but will receive bonuses from Chelsea (having not requested the transfer) and a signing-on fee from Man City that will assuage the loss.
                                        Thank God for the signing-on fee. He almost ruined my column.
                                        http://fistedaway.wordpress.com/2009/01/03/wayne-bridge-exclusive-i-will-dance-for-coins/

Comment

The Man City premium

That Penis Zahavi picture is going to give me nightmares for weeks, Haribo.

Comment

The Man City premium

Harbinger of Hope wrote:
                                            Though Bellion was shit. Can't score a hit every time.

Stealing mid-ranking team's best players, is not a new tactic for title challengers.
                                            United only wanted Bellion on a freebie. They ended up paying summit like £2m hush money after Bellions basic stupidity dropped them in it.
                                            He took his club BMW in for a service and enquired about flasher models. When the sales lads asked if Sunderland "would be upgrading anyone else?" He replied "Not Sunderland, Manchester United".
                                            When Sunderland were tipped off about this a quick perusal of his club mobile phone bill revealed a lot of calls to Man Utd.
                                            SAF werent happy at all.

Comment

The Man City premium

thank you mask man wrote:
                                              Lucy Waterman wrote:
                                              I admit he plays remarkably good football but perhaps he, or a new manager, should change things round to play tough crappy football that squeezes out results. Of the teams around us, Doncaster and Nottingham Forest both play passing football and are getting mullered most weeks. Now Nottsinghams have hired Billy Davies, they have a great chance to grind their way up the league.

Not us though, not us.
                                              I'd rather playing good passing football and being towards the bottom of the league than play tough crappy football that squeezes out results. It's joyless. So, I'll happily propose a swap of Magilton and Poortlivet.

Comment

The Man City premium

Harri Xmas wrote:
                                                As to "what has raised his value by £7m in the intervening five years"; a) it's £3-5M isn't it? Based on the reports of the fee being at least/guaranteed £10M going up to a potential £12M.
                                                No, Harri, No! Don't you understand the arguments that Manchester United fans apply to fees for their signings can't be used for any others?

Next you will propose it is in stages or something crazy.

Comment

The Man City premium

Jesus christ, City are 2-0 down at home to Nottingham Forest in the cup.

They are unreal.

Comment

The Man City premium

Harri Xmas wrote:
                                                    As to "what has raised his value by £7m in the intervening five years"; a) it's £3-5M isn't it? Based on the reports of the fee being at least/guaranteed £10M going up to a potential £12M.
                                                    £10m for Bridge is still pretty ridiculous though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X