Phil Parkes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil Parkes

as a sad end to a career, although in many ways it was an entirely appropriate and funny end:

Stuart Pearce, enjoying a swan song in Man Citys promotion year under Keegan (about 2003?). with promotion and the title already sewn up, City play Pompey last game of the season. Pearce has scored 99 league goals and with City 4-1 up, old psycho plays the last 10 minutes as an ersatz centre forward, shooting into the platt lane stand at every opportunity. The crowd are willing Pearce to score and when city have a penalty in injury time, destiny calls.
    The keeper tells pearce that he will not dive or attempt to save. Pearce duly spoons the ball over the bar. 35000 collapse in laughter

Comment

Phil Parkes

The move to west ham inolved a world record fee for a keeper.

Great Dean Wilkins free kick no one could have saved it.

Comment

Phil Parkes

I always had this weird suspicion that Phil Parkes (one or the other of them) was my father. I was adopted - Parkes was my pre-adoption surname - and all I know of my biological dad (from the little letter they give you telling you basic details about your parents) is that he lived in the West Midlands, played football and was called Philip. Oh, and that he did a runner.

I only realised that in fact, it obviously wasn't Mr Cossack (or, more likely, his Wolves namesake) a couple of years back, when a.) it dawned on me that my original surname would have been my mother's rather than my father's, and b.) I had another look at the adoption letter and it said he was five foot six - which I suspect was not an acceptable height for a First Division goalkeeper even in the 1970s, when being six foot automatically earned you the prefix "Big". Strangely, I was a bit disappointed.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Taylor wrote:
          I had another look at the adoption letter and it said he was five foot six - which I suspect was not an acceptable height for a First Division goalkeeper even in the 1970s, when being six foot automatically earned you the prefix "Big". Strangely, I was a bit disappointed.
          Not that far off. Paul Cooper was just five foot nine, and his understudy (and that generation's Steve Harper) Laurie Sivell was five foot eight.

Comment

Phil Parkes

This was possibly the last generation where all the world's most-feared forwards were nippy little skilful blokes rather than Olympic 100m-class sprinters who could control the ball as well a bit.

Keegan, Dalglish, Zico, Platini, Maradona, Simonsen, Rossi, Laudrup. Even Andy Gray and Mark Hughes. I don't think Rummenigge or Belanov were giants among men, either.

Comment

Phil Parkes

I'm not sure you could say that Keegan and Laudrup were part of the same generation. Keegan won his last international cap a few weeks after Laudrup won his first, and the latter was still playing in World Cups 16 years later.

Andy Gray was/is 5'10 and a half, and certainly was not a nippy little forward. He was strong and powerful.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Rogin, with those players you mentioned, i think the term "nippy" would be incorrect.

As a Yoot, the only memories i had of Parkes was him coming out and catching crosses one-handed ala Jennings.

The two memeories of Cooper I have is him saving penalties (he seemed to save every one) and of him leaning against a post reading a paper (or smoking a cigarette) during an Ipswich mauling of Arsenal in the early 80's.

Comment

Phil Parkes

''b.) I had another look at the adoption letter and it said he was five foot six - which I suspect was not an acceptable height for a First Division goalkeeper even in the 1970s, when being six foot automatically earned you the prefix "Big". Strangely, I was a bit disappointed.''

Parkes...the Wolves version of Phil Parkes was 6 foot 3 and a half inches according to the Rothmans year book...

Comment

Phil Parkes

I had another look at the adoption letter and it said he was five foot six - which I suspect was not an acceptable height for a First Division goalkeeper even in the 1970s
                    Reading's Steve Death couldn't have been much more than that (OK, not 'First Division', but anyway). A great, great 'keeper.

This from Wiki:

"Steve Death (19 October 1949 – 26 October 2003) was a goalkeeper in the Reading Football Club.

Death will always be remembered as one of the longest-serving and best-liked players ever to appear for Reading. He was an England schoolboy international who made one League appearance for West Ham before joining Reading, originally on loan, in 1969. He went straight into the team as first choice goalkeeper, and made the position his own for the next ten years with a total of 537 first team appearances.

Death set many other records during his time at Elm Park. He was elected 'Player of the Season' four times, won PFA Divisional Awards in 1973-74 and 1978-79, collected a Division Four Championship plaque in 1978-79, kept 26 clean sheets in that season, and at one stage made 156 consecutive first team appearances. This is still a Club record. Death holds the Football League record of 1,103 minutes without conceding a goal.

Death was given a testimonial in the 1979-80 season, with over 7,000 watching his Testimonial Match against a Young England XI managed by his former boss at West Ham, Ron Greenwood. He left the game in 1982 and returned to his native Suffolk. He subsequently returned to Reading to work as a greenkeeper at a local golf course. He died in 2003, aged 54."

(I hadn't realised he'd died. He was our hero but had to tend greens. And 54!? That's no age! I think a bit of a blub is on its way ...)

Comment

Phil Parkes

I remember Steve Death really well from old Panini annuals and the like. It's the sort of name that sticks in your mind when you're seven or eight. Sad to hear he's now lived up to it.

Wasn't he officially Steve De'Ath, though? I'm glad Wikipedia seems to disagree, anyway - if just because it makes possible lines like this, which is possibly the best sentence I've read all week:

Death was given a testimonial in the 1979-80 season, with over 7,000 watching his Testimonial Match against a Young England XI

Comment

Phil Parkes

Wasn't that in a Bergman film?

Comment

Phil Parkes

Yes ... and Scott Walker's synopsis (sixth down)

Comment

Phil Parkes

Taylor wrote:
                            I remember Steve Death really well from old Panini annuals and the like. It's the sort of name that sticks in your mind when you're seven or eight. Sad to hear he's now lived up to it.

Wasn't he officially Steve De'Ath, though? I'm glad Wikipedia seems to disagree, anyway - if just because it makes possible lines like this, which is possibly the best sentence I've read all week:

Death was given a testimonial in the 1979-80 season, with over 7,000 watching his Testimonial Match against a Young England XI
                            De Ath is more how people with that surname insist it's pronounced.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Not us biscuitmen!

Comment

Phil Parkes

as this is the thread for my strolls down memory lane, and now we are talking of Paul Cooper......
                                as a young (honest!) lad i was stood on the stretford end at a united v ipswich match. as a corner came in, joe jordan hurled himself at the ball (as well as paul cooper, kevin beattie, alan hunter etc etc). in the melee, the ball and assorted players ended in the back of the net. even in those tough days, goalkeepers were given some protection and so the "goal" was disallowed and a free kick awarded.
                                5 minutes later, another corner. this time joe jordan throws himself at the ball and the entire ipswich defence (deciding that the better part of valour is discretion) stand well back. result: Goal

funny how i can remember footy matches from 30 years ago, but don't know where i left my car keys last night....

Comment

Phil Parkes

Taylor wrote:

Nearly any sentence about Segar Bastard is automatically brilliant. Particularly as he was a referee.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                    Indeed, Parkes mk2 followed me to Vancouver where he played for the Whitecaps for a couple of seasons until he was replaced by a very young Bruce Grobelaar.
                                    ...and then he went on the Oklahoma City Slickers (ASL) where I had the honor to go up against him and English teammate Jimmy Husband. They played a match against our university team - the goal was to lure some of our players to their side which they did.

The match ended something like 5-0 -- the two players they were scouting played for us the first half and then donned Slicker jerseys for the second half. No one got hurt despite our crap field and Parkes and Husband had some beers w/ us after the game.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Didn't Cooper save three penalties in a match once or is this just his penalty saving exploits being a little too much exaggerated in my memory?

Comment

Phil Parkes

He saved two in a match once - against Derby.

He played in a game in which three penalties were saved, but they were saved at the other end by Manchester United's Gary Bailey. John Wark was absent, so Ipswich used substitute penalty takers in Kevin Beattie and Frans Thijssen. Only two penalties were awarded, but one was retaken - all three efforts were saved. Ipswich still won 6-0.

Comment

Phil Parkes

"I slept with a woman who told be she'd been with Phil Parkes, a long time ago. I was well into that..."
                                          Russell Brand in 442, apparently.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Phil Parkes the West Ham version was a legend at Upton Park after we signed him for what was at the time a world record for a goalie, £500,000 in 1979.

Was rock solid in the team that won the FA Cup in 1980, runners up in the league cup in 81 and finished 3rd in the league in 86. Yes kids as per the Saints comment earlier, smaller teams come close to winning the title in the 80's.

Parkes form went down the toilet a bit towards the end of his Upton Park reign, dodgy knees being the culrpit if I remember rightly.

Offloaded him in the late 80's and he was eventually succeeded by another goalie legend, the infamous Ludo Miklosko who arrived in 1990.

In between Parkesy and Ludo though we had Alan McKnightmare who was truly appalling.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Hot Orange wrote:
                                              He saved two in a match once - against Derby.

He played in a game in which three penalties were saved, but they were saved at the other end by Manchester United's Gary Bailey. John Wark was absent, so Ipswich used substitute penalty takers in Kevin Beattie and Frans Thijssen. Only two penalties were awarded, but one was retaken - all three efforts were saved. Ipswich still won 6-0.
                                              Cheers for that.
                                              Was Cooper actually that good? England had many keepers when he was about and so perhaps I remember him as being better than he was.
                                              By good keepers I mean Shilton, Clemance and Corrigan as the top three, then Parkes, Bailey and others to follow.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Wasn't Gary Bailey South African?

Hang on Wikipediato the rescue says he had a couple of games for England although was raised in SA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bailey

Comment

Working...
                                                X