Phil Parkes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil Parkes

What a 'keeper he was. Mainstay of the QPR side that could have (should have?) won the title in 1976, then left to join West Ham and win the Cup with them in 1980. Only won one England cap, as he was - like Joe Corrigan - squeezed out in the era when Clemence and Shilton racked up something like 200 caps between them.

I remember he saved a lot of penalties. Or was that Paul Cooper, at Ipswich?

Phil Parkes

he used to advertise a hairspray for men

falcon i think it was called

Comment

Phil Parkes

He used to live near me in Ascot - not a very special house compared with what he would probably be able to afford on today's wages.

'Gentle giant', wasn't he? Bloody big, anyway.

Comment

Phil Parkes

i drive through ascot most days, where did he live? by the budgens?

Comment

Phil Parkes

He used to live near me in Ascot - not a very special house compared with what he would probably be able to afford on today's wages.
          That was the same with Lawrie McMenemy, in the early 1980s, while he was Saints' manager. He apparently lived just down the road from us then (albeit in a bigger house, but hardly millionaires' row). Won the Cup for Southampton as manager and damned nearly won the double in 1984 (yes, kids, it's true - Southampton - Southampton - finished second in the League in 1984 while still in real contention with two games to go, and were Cup semi-finalists the same year).

Man United wanted him as manager after Sexton in 1981, but Southampton told them to piss off so they ended up with Atkinson instead.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Paul Cooper saved all the penalties.

Parkes finished his career at Ipswich. Three games at the end of the 90/91 season. His last touch in professional football was picking the ball out of the net after Dean Wilkins had scored from a freekick.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Phoebe wrote:

Parkes finished his career at Ipswich. Three games at the end of the 90/91 season. His last touch in professional football was picking the ball out of the net after Dean Wilkins had scored from a freekick.
              Perhaps this opens up a discussion on what was the saddest end to a football career. Georghi Hagi getting sent off at Euro 2000 springs to mind, but he did finish as captain of his nation at a major tournament.

Comment

Phil Parkes

i drive through ascot most days, where did he live? by the budgens?
                North Ascot, rick - Chavey Down. Just up from the Foresters.

Comment

Phil Parkes

on that road full of the kind of smug money that puts out the home made tributes to horse racing every royal ascot?

Comment

Phil Parkes

Ooh ... don't know what you mean ...

Coming from Bracknell turn left at the Foresters, up the hill (a nice, tree-lined road, that, and very little horsiness as far as I know), second street on the left at the top.

Comment

Phil Parkes

cheers

PM sent btw

Comment

Phil Parkes

I'm pretty darn sure he used to live in Wokingham, Berkshire (and where Hobbes was also born), right round the corner from where I grew up . I remember a car emblazoned with his name around the south bit of Wokingham, near Finchampsted, directly opposite a pub opposite the Two Poplars, which would seem to be confirmed by this page.

Comment

Phil Parkes

That may well be the case also, dd.

(A pm back for you, rick)

Comment

Phil Parkes

Yeah, certainly he might have moved around. He would have been in Wokingham around 1980-85 I'd say.

Comment

Phil Parkes

But speaking of Parkes and penalties - in all three of those games at Ipswich, he faced and conceded a penalty. No wonder he called it a day after that.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Didn't Paul Cooper wear a rugby shirt?

Comment

Phil Parkes

No, but he didn't usually wear the traditional green or yellow*. Usually he wore a red goalkeeper's shirt.

*He wasn't allowed to wear yellow, because at the time, you were only allowed to wear yellow as a keeper's shirt if you had represented your country.

Comment

Phil Parkes

thank you mask man wrote:
                                    Phoebe wrote:

Perhaps this opens up a discussion on what was the saddest end to a football career. Georghi Hagi getting sent off at Euro 2000 springs to mind, but he did finish as captain of his nation at a major tournament.
                                    Two months late, I saw Luc Nilis jump up for an innocuous challenge with Ipswich keeper Richard Wright, only to break his leg and never play again.

On a brighter note, if we were to look at the brightest end, how about Franny Lee? He didn't just score with his last touch in professional football, but his last two, as he finished off a 6-2 rout of Ipswich.

Comment

Phil Parkes

"Parkes are you chained to your fuckin' post?" Was the frequent cry from the Loft. Like the England squad we were spoiled for talent for so many years — Reg Allen, the Springetts, Parkes, and Spunky to come. We took top class goal-keeping for granted. I think everyone realises now that he was a lot better than we thought at the time. This was mainly due to a Jamesian proclilivity to drop several clangers in a row, diluting the memory of the dozen or so brilliant saves he'd made earlier in the game.

Comment

Phil Parkes

I found this once before, but it's fantastic in its brilliance, so here it is again:

Comment

Phil Parkes

Not only did he save penalties by day, but Parkes also found time at night to masquerade as Carl Wayne of The Move.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Could someone highlight in such threads that the subject isn't dead. It would save people googling

Zinedine Zidane and Maradona may have had sadder ends to international careers

Comment

Phil Parkes

Phoebe wrote:
                                              *He wasn't allowed to wear yellow, because at the time, you were only allowed to wear yellow as a keeper's shirt if you had represented your country.
                                              What? I like to think I'm not unfamiliar with football minutae, but I've never come across a class system for goalie jerseys before. Please tell me more.

Comment

Phil Parkes

There were, of course, two Phil Parkes.

The other one was a goalkeeper at Wolves whose playing career spanned a similar time to the QPR version.

Comment

Phil Parkes

Indeed, Parkes mk2 followed me to Vancouver where he played for the Whitecaps for a couple of seasons until he was replaced by a very young Bruce Grobelaar.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X