Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTF League Manager Game (New Players Welcome!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish they'd fight a bit fucking harder, etienne

Comment

Gah! Not only do I have to put up with infuriating comebacks on my Football Manager game, it happens here too. It was pretty obvious as soon as Lifmark got injured that we were going to concede.

I think someone needs to check the birth certificates of Mortlake's youth team.

Comment

Mortlake have been slightly suckered with such a late arrival of their defensive talent. He is going to struggle to get an upgrade at the season end due to lack of experience and form, so will likely just stay a 6.

Not that a 6 17-year old is that bad at all. That is what I hoping my midfielder will become.

Comment

Alright, with all but the OTF division complete, we have some decisions to make.

1) Who (if anybody) should get the 3-month VIP gift I offered? Essen Clarets (lowest goals scored of active players) is ahead in the poll, but he's gone missing a bit.

2) At what point do we cut the dead weight? There are at least 3 or 4 teams that are in danger of being made inactive.

3) League format for season 4? If we cut teams we could do 2 divisions at roughly 10 each. If we add teams (welcome) we could stay at 3 at 8 or 9. Thoughts?

Comment

I don't know.

If all the other teams in my league come up anyway, it kind of belittles the purpose of my season. But that is just my Cardiff Dragons press training, and really we need a proper structure.

We need the OTF league and other leagues to be the same size. The transfer window is all out of sync for us (hence Mortlake's youth arriving with 1 game to go) and it also means we have a reasonable time to keep players form up before the update.

I don't know how you could plan to adjust it all.

Comment

Actually, I think ideally we should drop to smaller leagues. 9 or 10 team leagues make the season last two long. 8 is better, but 6 would be the best.

I really like the cup, but I don't think the cup is keeping people interested in the way the league does. If the leagues were smaller, with no cup, we could run a season in just over a month.

We seem to have enough dedicated to keep it going at two divisions (maybe even a 1:2 pyramid format), but three seems to far a stretch.

Comment

I think playing twice a week would keep people more interested than once a week and mean that we could keep 9/8 team divisions.

If that means we have to sacrifice the cup then I think it's a price worth paying. Though I like the cup too.

Hopefully we can find some more new people to fill the gaps created by culling the inactive teams.

Comment

Can the cup be a one-leg affair? I thnk a straight knockout format is always more alluring.

I'm all for 2 games per week and keeping the bigger divisions, personally.

Comment

I like the three divisions format, and the cup, although I'd have no objection if it was made one-legged. However, I think the most important thing is ensuring that teams are active, so if no new managers can be found to take over the inactive sides then obviously they should be culled and we should move to two divisions if necessary.

As long as the record books show my first-time promotion and cup run I'll be happy.

Comment

On a vaguely related note, I've put my name down on the waiting list for a team in the Classic League. For all those with a team in the official leagues, how long did you have to wait?

Comment

Only a few days.

Comment

Yeah, about a week or so.

Comment

As far as the one-legged cup goes, that's probably our worst option because it would still mean only one league game a week, and we'd only have about 4 cup games total. I think no cup suits our purposes better. (and Phoebe and Monkeys can forever lay claim to the cup trophy.)

I'm changing the header on the thread now, so maybe we'll get a few newbies.

Comment

I see your point about cup format. Surely it's nicer to have two trophies to play for though? I'd rather retain the cup than see it dispensed with altogether, but maybe I'm on my own...

Comment

Games tomorrow. The most important fixtures of the season. You'd think.

As far as the "first ever VIP award", I think I want to give it to the winner of a friendly between the 2nd Division and 3rd division winners (both having scored 44 goals). Everybody okay with that?

Comment

Nice idea, but... we drew 2-2.

Comment

I'd be interested in having a go on this, although it kind of depends how much work is involved. Do you have to do a lot? (for instance I don't think I'd have the time for the civilisation type game over on World)

Comment

play again.

Comment

noj: not so much really. Just log-in 1 or two times a week and set your line-up, make transfers, read your mail etc. It can be pretty limited (or you can be borderline obsessive, like I am).

Comment

Cheers Matej, I'll give it a go.

Comment

This'll come as no surprise to anyone but I'm clearly missing a trick.

I scout the opposition. I'm forever wheeler-dealing on the transfer market. My players seem to have better skill ratings than many of my opponents, yet I regularly get a good hiding in matches, and am a perennial relegation battler.

Tell us your secret, Matej.

Comment

To be fair I think both the Idiots and Mortlake played a second string in the game. I know I trialled a new formation for the match.

I guess we should communicate to arrange a first string game or two.

Comment

heh... I think at the end of the season we'll be asking 1927.

I probably have 3 things I do more than anybody else:
                                                1) Form training (probably too much, but I figure more is better than not enough)
                                                2) Try and predict opponents tactics
                                                3) closely mark a playmaker or opponent danger man

On the transfer market you want to find deals on young players, obviously. But buying a veteran who is clearly better than anybody else is the league is useful (see Phoebe's player Salazar).

And then make sure your young players get experience. It is worth the risk of dropping points to get those 4 or 5 skill 20-year old games.

Comment

Matej wrote:
                                                  (or you can be borderline obsessive, like I am).
                                                  To be fair, those borderlines can be quite compelling.

Comment

*Bump*

Comment

Working...
                                                    X