Insomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insomnia

The only reason I've started this thread. I was asleep a few minutes ago. Now I'm not. I need to get back to the other side as soon as possible. I'm going to YouTube to watch old Pink Panther cartoons. That worked last time.

Insomnia

Wingco, forget the whole sheep-counting thing and recapture your old glories!

Repeat after me, ad slumbrem:

Je joue dans le jardin
    Tu joues dans le jardin
    Il joue dans le jardin

100 per cent!

Comment

Insomnia

I had that problem last night, caused mostly by the panic attacks I was having every few minutes.

Comment

Insomnia

Sorry to hear that, FF. I played in the French garden like the good Lord suggested and it worked.

Comment

Insomnia

There seem to be a few people on OTF with insomnia problems. Whenever I wake up in the middle of the night (usually because a fox in Kendal has stepped on a twig... the perils of being a light sleeper), the reason I find it difficult to get back to sleep is because I'm enjoying the sensation of lying in bed too much. It's like e lie-in - there's no point in doing it if you're not awake to appreciate it.

Comment

Insomnia

Is e lie-in when you do it remotely?

It's getting bad with me, this insomnia business. I'm spending more time on the sofa downstairs than in bed these days. I'm not actually all that agitated at the moment about anything, it's just I seem to have lost the knack of getting to sleep.

Comment

Insomnia

What's the opposite of insomnia? Somnia? I have real problems staying awake for any length of time after 9:30pm.

Comment

Insomnia

I played football yesterday evening, which may have something to do with it. We played solidly, indoor 5 a side from 8.25 to 9.30, no breaks for throw ins, etc. When I came in I was too physically exhausted to be sleepy-tired, if that makes sense.

Comment

Insomnia

I know exactly what you mean. I play on Tuesday nights from 9-10pm and when I get home I'm too adrenalized and... aerated, for want of a more biologoically accurate term, to either fall or stay asleep.

Comment

Insomnia

I'm sleeping all right at the moment. Which is a bit of a nasty thing to post on a thread about insomnia, but what are you going to do? You're too tired to do owt about me.

Comment

Insomnia

Repeat after me, ad slumbrem:

Je joue dans le jardin
                      Tu joues dans le jardin
                      Il joue dans le jardin

As a fellow of the University of When The Fuck Am I Going To Sleep, I'm trying that particular avenue of experiment.

Comment

Insomnia

Actually, it's just as well I fell asleep shortly after the third person plural as my powers of conjugation might well have fallen short of the subjunctive.

Comment

Insomnia

Yeah, I get that; it's a middle age thing.

Comment

Insomnia

EIM wrote:
                            I'm sleeping all right at the moment. Which is a bit of a nasty thing to post on a thread about insomnia, but what are you going to do? You're too tired to do owt about me.
                            It was a bit insensitive, but don't worry - it's certainly not worth losing any sleep over !

Comment

Insomnia

By the way, don't try that garden thing in German, it just makes you even more energised.

Comment

Insomnia

Mumpo wrote:
                                There seem to be a few people on OTF with insomnia problems.
                                I've noticed this too ...and I'm one of them. Mine is down to having no discipline or any real desire to sleep. I'd rather stay online and read or download stuff. The problem comes when I have a late night (bed at 2 or 3am) but then feel exhausted the next day and so follow it up with going to bed at 7pm. I'll then wake up at 1am and find it very difficult to go back to sleep. This happened last night. I got back to sleep in the end - probably about 3am - but then nearly overslept when it came to time to get up (6:30am).

Ironically, I love sleep and will probably spend half of Christmas laying-in until 11am!

Comment

Insomnia

What I find is that exercising or faffing about on the computer after 8pm makes it really hard to fall asleep when I go to bed. Mondays and Wednesdays I play football in the evening, and I stay up an extra hour or so because I know there's no point trying sleep normal hours.

A drink or two in the evening makes me fall asleep real quick, but I have to pay for it by waking up in the middle of the night and sometimes it's hard to fall asleep again.

My best tip is counting backwards from 100 in French. Used to be I'd be in dreamland by soixante, but I've probably done it too many times. It only works when you're unable to do it without thinking.

Comment

Insomnia

The one small seed of of silver lining in the otherwise all round rubbish cloud of sleep apnoea, is that I fall asleep literally within seconds of being horizontal.

Comment

Insomnia

I had a bunch of friends out on Saturday evening because it was my birthday, and a few of them came back to the house in the small hours to finish the night off in style. At 3.44am this morning, I got a text from one of them asking if he had left a small lump of hash on my coffee table, because he couldn't find it himself.

My sleep was destroyed as a result, of course. I know this guy a long time, and he's a good friend, but what sort of plank sends a text like that at 3.44am? I was tempted to reply and tell him I found it and flushed it down the jacks.

Comment

Insomnia

Not to rub it in, but I generally sleep very well. However, on occasions where I've had trouble sleeping, I've found that playing the A-Z game - where you pick a category, such as capital cities or European football teams, and starting from A think of one thing in that category for each letter of the alphabet - works wonders. I have very rarely, if ever, made it to Z before falling asleep.

The trick, I think, is to pick a subject that's sufficiently interesting to you that you won't get bored doing it and end up getting distracted by the fact you're not asleep yet, and a subject that isn't so easy that you'll race from A-Z in a matter of seconds.

Comment

Insomnia

don't get too smug about it hof. the ability to sustain unbroken sleep through the night degrades with age. by middle age previously sound sleepers will usually report some insomnia. by old age they have reverted to infantile sleep patterns, day and night, a couple of hours here, a couple of hours there - typically adding up to roughly the same total sleep time. when margaret thatcher used to brag about only sleeping four hours a night, she didn't mention that she was nodding off in her office during the day.

Comment

Insomnia

I have rarely experienced the slight post-match restlessness and jitteriness that some of the footballers on the thread describe. The solution is simple: play better. Complete every pass you attempt. Score at will. Leave nothing to chance. I've found that applying these simple steps allows me to go to bed with a sense of complete calmness and satisfaction after each and every match.

Don't know if anyone else finds this, but I often go years without any problems, and then I can strangely suffer from it again, sometimes quite acutely. At some points I've had something like the panic-type insomnia described by FF, though not as acutely I imagine. It's a bitch.

I think Hof's solution sounds good: something which will engage and divert your mind without pointing it in any particular direction. A solution which works for me is thinking back to the house I grew up and recall in as much detail, from my bedroom onwards, how exactly it all was; the house, the garden, road, neighbourhood, etc.

It worked for Proust. Or rather it didn't, but you know what I mean.

Comment

Insomnia

Surely the foolproof way to get back to sleep is to have one off the wrist?

Comment

Insomnia

It tends to wake the wife up, so 'no' is the answer to that...

Comment

Insomnia

Nytol and a philosophy/modern art/politics text book.

Unbeatable combo.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X