My Aspelund bed is a fucking dick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, I want to hurt someone Swedish right now. Hurt them like their whole nation has hurt me.

The missus bought an Aspelund range bedroom set from Ikea earlier this year. I made the whole thing in a day or two, and remember making the bed whilst eating a Greggs sausage and bean melt, and listening to Manchester United stick three past Liverpool thanks mainly to the zany actions of Pepe Reina. I believe his inner monologue, during that match, was a bit like a Terry Gilliam directing a Being John Malkovich type affair. But with Jerzy Dudek instead.

I don't really know what I'm on about.

But the bed. Oh, the bed. This mother fucker is killing me. Despite its luxurious comfort, and enviable size, the fucking thing is teasing, mocking, and possibly bullying us. The whole fucking thing keeps collapsing on us. And don't say it was caused by me putting it together badly, perhaps forgetting a vital bolt due to Nani slapping home the third goal, or because I dropped a bit of alarmingly greasy pastry down my shirt, it's nothing to do with that.

What happens is that the side of the bed warps, pushing out slightly, meaning the wooden slats the mattress lies on suddenly have nothing to rest on. This causes the mattress, and everything on it, to plunge to the ground. I lie there at night, listening to the sound of wood deforming, waiting, expecting, and knowing that soon, I'm hitting the ground like that fella form Linoclnshire who tampered with his own parachute.

Anyway. In the box of misery Ikea sent us, there were some metal support rods that you were meant to attach, but they kindly provided bolts not just the wrong size for the rods, but for the bed as well. I managed to imagineer a way around this (involving lots and lots of parcel string) but all that ultimately achieved was to break the support rods, and make me look like a bit of a dick.

I'm at my wits end with this. I don't want to know about solutions, I know of many that would do the job. I just don't want to have to do them. I want to be able to sit in my bed without the knowledge that terror is one misjudged movement away.

Fuck you Ikea. Fuck you Aspelund. Fuck you wood. Fuck you gravity. Fuck you that horrible sensation you get in your gut when you hear the slats fall, and you have a split second before you follow them. Fuck you Liverpool (gratuitous, I know).

This post has taken me over three hours to write. Every time I hit a key, I hear the wood groan, creak and splinter. By the time I hit submit, I assume I'll be about a foot lower than my current position.

You're posting while in bed? You've got issues.

Comment

No. If you're not posting while in bed, then you are the one with issues.

Comment

I fucking love IKEA. We got our Christmas tree there the other night, and had dinner as well. Oh, and some cheap picture frames.

Comment

I only go if I run out of pencils.

Comment

Or measuring tapes made of paper.

Comment

If EIM replies to this it'll be a four poster.

Comment

Well done. Choose a prize from the Tickle Trunk.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                  Or measuring tapes made of paper.
                  But never a fucking bed.

Comment

Their Christmas tree deal is tough to beat. They're $20, but they give you a coupon for $20 off a total of $50 or more in January.

But no, never beds. Chairs, maybe. But beds? No.

Comment

Hang on, you didn't follow the instructions and failed to properly assemble the bed's support, so you're blaming Ikea and the entire nation of Sweden for your own incompetence? There was a Star Trek episode that dealt with that subject, you know. I'm sure WOM remembers it.

Comment

Nicely done, Pinback.

Comment

Ha ha. You crazy old fool. That was an episode of The Prisoner.

Comment

EIM wrote:
                            sausage and bean melt
                            fucking sick cunt.

p.s. i have had the same problem with every ikea bed i've ever had (both of them).

Comment

When we bought a mattress for our daughter's bed at IKEA, I borrowed my in-laws' SUV to go pick it up. Of course, they come rolled up, under 5,000 pounds' pressure, in a tidy little plastic bag. You could've fit it in the boot of a Mini.

Comment

IKEA is almost certainly not an acronym of a Scandanavian phrase that means "It's cheap because it's shit", but it would be funny to discover to that it was, as a huge Swedish joke against the British middle classes. Possibly to get us back for the Muppet Show.

My dear old Mum always says to me "Buy cheap, buy twice", and she's normally right. Mind you, when her time comes she's going to get cremated in a coffin that looks suspiciously like a 6 foot by 2 foot IKEA bookcase with the shelves not put in. She won't be needing that fucker to last any longer than the trip from the undertakers' to the crem.

Comment

EIM wrote:
                                  What happens is that the side of the bed warps, pushing out slightly, meaning the wooden slats the mattress lies on suddenly have nothing to rest on. This causes the mattress, and everything on it, to plunge to the ground.
                                  My best mate has the exact same problem. His bed came with the flat he and his girlfriend are living in, so normally he'd have a word with the landlord and get it fixed. In their current case though, it's a little awkward. Because their landlord is his girlfriend's dad. You can imagine how that conversation would go.

Comment

It happened again, the minute I fell asleep. Half the bed collapsed on to the floor, on my side natch, leaving me sleeping in a very uncomfortable position. And lacking the will to sort it out, I instead chose to style it out. For fuck's sake my ancestors were Vikings, who were renowned outdoorsmen. Surely to God I could cope with a few hours sleeping in a fucked up bed?

Turns out I could. But only a few.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                                      IKEA is almost certainly not an acronym of a Scandanavian phrase that means "It's cheap because it's shit", but it would be funny to discover to that it was, as a huge Swedish joke against the British middle classes. Possibly to get us back for the Muppet Show.
                                      Rogin raises an interesting side point. Why did Jim Henson never get knighted for the Muppet Show? So many people have been knighted for less. And the person who created Batman - he was great and obviously British. Warren Buffet too. The British working class comes wealthiest man in the world dream. There are loads of them!

No wonder the Swedes make bad beds to get back at the British!

Comment

Whenever I go to IKEA, I end up feeling like Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining.

(The difference obviously being that I get out eventually and that).

Comment

Ikea have an excellent after sales service.

Even now, if you go to them and explain the problem I'm sure they will give you the correct parts that you need.

I know this as my Mum bought a tap and after about 4 years it turned faulty, she explained this to them and they replaced it at no cost!

Just remember not to slag them off as you are describing your poor erection effort!

Comment

EIM, if it makes you feel any better, I bought my elderly aunt a bed from Ikea.

It put her right in the hospital.

We threw that shit right on the streets of NYC.

I've come down a lot from my absolute hatred of the place. FF probably can guess which one we go to (the one you see if you ever land in Newark Airport,) and it's always so packed that one time I knocked over a blind person. What a blind person was doing in a crowd like that I'll never know, but that was a horrible feeling that still gives me the chills.

mrs. v calls me "monkey man" whenever I put that shit together, as it usually ends up with me shaking a door or side or shelve until one of the hinges breaks. Every single - I mean every single - piece of Ikea furniture we have has a screw or hinge or corner that I ripped off in fury and has since been woodglued. Or Gorilla-glued.

However, once I got my 8-ft bed Toyota Tundra, and can fit enough flat 8-ft boxes to furnish an entire office building; and once we got the hang of going on Sunday or Monday nights; and after enough practice (and getting his and hers electric screwdrivers, of which without one you are sentencing yourself to about 8 years off your life,) it wasn't that bad.

But the genius of the place was the moment you say "fuck it. I don't care if I spent $200 on this closet. I'm going to trash it," at which point your significant other forces you to buy another one. Boy, would I love for a wiretap in those Swedish offices when they admitted that one.

And those jelly rats they sell in the food section are crack. My mouth started watering thinking about them. Houston is only 6 hours away...

Comment

But if you get $2500 to spend on a mattress, this shit was worth every penny:

http://www.kingsdown.com/

They have that diagnostic system in which you lay down and there's a computer which reads your spinal pressure points. After my car crash (5 bulging discs,) I was in miserable pain for years. I laid on this shit as a goof, and I instantly could feel a knot in my spine dissipate. Just laying on that mattress for 10 minutes was better than every physical therapist and chiropractor. It completely gave me back my health.

Comment

I know the one, JV. There is now one at the intersection of Rts 4 and 17 and the crowds can be just as unbearable at that one. Plus, you get the added bonus of the traffic in that area.

Comment

So you bought a bed at Ikea. And it turned out to be shit. Well, big shock, then.

Actually, I think Wendy is right - go and talk to them and they'll definitely give you the bits you're missing.
                                                  Just try to follow the instructions next time.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X