No announcement yet.

Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pub worker left Blair Mayne for a Spurs, Forest and Blades legend.

(4)

Comment

Jim Iley managed Inter (4)

Comment

Bury along with an unfinished magazine. Do what you're told !

(9)
        Last edited by Stobart; 07-06-2018, 04:57. Reason: Superfluous word.

Comment

Originally posted by Stobart View Post
          Bury along with an unfinished magazine. Do what you're told !

(9)
          _ _ _ P _ _ _ _ _

Comment

_ _ _ P _ _ _ _ T

Comment

_ _ _ P _ _ _ _ T
              Looks like my clue doesn't meet the requirements.

Comment

Looks like my clue doesn't meet the requirements.
                C_ _ P _ _ _ _ T

Comment

Compliant company worker (11)

Comment

How does the compliant clue work?

Big guess here:

Declarations: Complaisant or manipulative? (13)

Comment

Bugger, forgot it was me. Sorry.

Compliant company worker (11)

_ _ _ _ E _ _ _ _ V _
                      Last edited by Kevin S; 11-06-2018, 07:56.

Comment

Co-Operative Party stalwart rates 'Yes' call invalid (6,6)

(Or not)
                        Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 11-06-2018, 09:15.

Comment

70s detective show about Irish co-operative (8)

Edit: Balls

Comment

In a slapdash manner, and at a loss, Stella Creasy harassed (10)

Comment

Some are all over the place, perhaps carelessly, and could be draining to mascara?

(7, 10)

Comment

Some are all over the place, perhaps carelessly, and could be draining to mascara?

(7, 10)

_ _ _ _ R _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ T _ _ _

Comment

(7, 10)

_ N _ _ R _ _

_ N _ _ _ _ T _ _ _

Comment

[QUOTE=ad hoc;1435501]How does the compliant clue work?

Bury = plant

Unfinished magazine = comic minus the final c

Anagram of plant and comi = compliant = do as your told.

Comment

Hi Stobart, it's good to have your involvement on this thread, and thank you for setting out the rationale of your last clue.

This is meant as friendly, constructive advice: it's widely recognised that a 'synonym + anagram' device is very tricky for the solver to penetrate, and hence would be considered unfair. Besides, there would need to be a stronger indicator that the clue works as an anagram; was that what you hoped to convey by 'along with'?

Please don't take this as a slap-down; we're all learners here!

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                                        Hi Stobart, it's good to have your involvement on this thread, and thank you for setting out the rationale of your last clue.

This is meant as friendly, constructive advice: it's widely recognised that a 'synonym + anagram' device is very tricky for the solver to penetrate, and hence would be considered unfair. Besides, there would need to be a stronger indicator that the clue works as an anagram; was that what you hoped to convey by 'along with'?

Please don't take this as a slap-down; we're all learners here!
                                        Yes, I included 'along with' to push the reader towards an anagram, but in retrospect I agree it's not a great indicator. I also take on board that synonym + anagram = confusion. Thanks very much for the advice, it'll help improve the quality of my clues.
                                        Last edited by Stobart; 12-06-2018, 15:58.

Comment

First of all - anagram indicators. Really don't reckon it's easy. You'll find some diamonds here though.

(7)
                                          Last edited by Stobart; 12-06-2018, 16:12.

Comment

Bravo. Now that's an excellent clue.

Comment

Part of Office? They concur in Madrid, Oregon and on the ground in Airdrie (9)

Comment

Excelsior? Me? Audaciously around the tree in Belfast or Belfort (6)

Comment

The end of Excelsior's by Mark Twain's better half? (9)

Comment

Shelled in Ormeau Rd, by mistake?

(8)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X