Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Hof, I'm OK with arcana in principle, as long as the structure is sound. And I know from previous clues that there are people interested in US sports, and baseball in particular, on this thread--indeed, I thought Nef was one of them--and once you suspect the phrase "Green Monster" may be involved, the link with John W Henry is easy enough to find, or so I thought. So Hof's criterion, that the answer be obvious once you've got it, would be satisfied as long as the rest of the clue worked.

So I guess for me the fairness or otherwise of my clue hinges, in the end, on "dick" (as in "private dick") as a synonym for "eye" (as in "private eye"). I may have been too sanguine about that. (But in passing, the capitalisation problem is a red herring: the Ximenean rule as I understand it is that you may freely capitalise a lower case word, but not remove a capital from a proper noun.)

Here's the thing, though. What leaves me slightly baffled is the direction the conversation took in terms of tone, with all that stuff about my "huffiness" (which seemed to come from nowhere), and what seemed to be the sarcasm of "after all, it's only a game".

I admit, it even occurred to me to suspect Nef's motives; to wonder if some element of (I'm embarrassed even to use the word) revenge might be involved. That would fit the sarcastic "only a game" stuff, which echoes slightly something I said, "straight" as it were, upthread. I apologise, deeply, if I'm wide of the mark on that, because it's a hell of a thing to accuse someone of. But otherwise I can't really understand what just happened.

Either way, I'm left wondering if this particular game is worth the candle. If it ain't fun it's no fun.

Comment

I think I've got the (...5,3) bit of Duncan's, but I can't help thinking the first two words should be (7,4...). I'm probably being dim.

Comment

Hang on, I am being dim.

Comment

The same thoughts occurred to me, Andy. (not that your being dim but the (7,4)

Comment

Well, I've got it but I'm struggling to compose a clue. Feel free to jump the queue.

Comment

New international organisation represented in the Sheffield United press box? (5,2)

Comment

New international organisation represented in the Sheffield United press box? (5,2)

_ _ E _ _ / _ N

Comment

"Team manager replaced", from front page of the Star Green 'Un, yesterday's edition (3,5)

Comment

"Team manager replaced", from front page of the Star Green 'Un, yesterday's edition (3,5)

_ _ _ / _ _ _ _ T

Comment

Book Mal playing in Gus Poyet's 4-3-3 (6)

Comment

Unfavourable comment in Illinois re Psalms 5-13, on reflection (9)

Comment

Oops. Got it a bit wrong. Corrected.

Comment

Departing queen cast aspersion on love (7)

Comment

At its highest point, sadly thin in passion (8)

Comment

_ _ _ _ _ H _ _

Comment

Zenithal bard, (in more ways than one) originally Peruvian (Not Virginia)

(4, 6)

Comment

No idea.

Comment

He's the Zenithal bard, (in more ways than one) originally Peruvian (Not Virginia)

(4, 6)

_ _ L _

_ _ _ T _ _

Comment

Drawing a blank here.

Comment

I was thinking "originally Peruvian" might indicate INCA, but that seems to have been refuted. Perhaps it just means P.

Comment

I was toying with an anagram of PERUIN as well (that is, PERUVIAN without VA), but that doesn't seem to fit either.

Comment

Yes, I've had very similar thoughts with the same lack of success. I've also been trying to think of songwriters, poets or playwrights who have some connection with "zenith" but haven't come up with anything there either.

Comment

Place a space between Peru and IN -
                                                zenith the heights or the top

Comment

Nefertiti2 wrote:
                                                  He's the Zenithal bard, (in more ways than one) originally Peruvian (Not Virginia)

(4, 6)

C _ L _

_ _ R T _ _

Comment

Once again, I have it but I don't have it, if you see what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X