No announcement yet.

Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A saint in some countries, the People's Princess has some land near the River Erewash (9)

Comment

In Sandiacre's tar, underneath an ice skeleton (6,3)

Comment

Reconstruct Cresta Run if rut affects footing (14)

Comment

Infrastructure found in “Row ‘K’.”? [10]

Comment

Public official charged with dealing with the reverse in infrastructure holdings (4)

Curses

Comment

Kapow!

Comment

_ _ O _ _ _ _ O _ _

Comment

Patriot sabotaged groundwork - kibosh? No duh! (3,10)

And why not have a bonus?

(i) Trinity College Cambridge's river and star (3,6)

(ii) Overheard kidnapping William's boy (7,6)

(iii) A pair of birds, one of them getting inside artificial intelligence (3,5)

(iv) To a doctor of divinity? Sounds a bit feminine (4,6)

Solutions all appear on a grid.
                  Last edited by Kevin S; 07-12-2017, 09:27.

Comment

Taking a loan from an injured Rob Gronkowski? That's not OK, KS.

Comment

1 Borrowing money so Brexteer ends up like Raab (4)

And for your bonus,

2 In roof entrance (4)

3 Dug boner up (8)

4 Fu*kin French fucked! (11)

5 Society entrant takes rein- last in (8)

Solutions are near neighbors
                      Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 07-12-2017, 10:37.

Comment

The NFL bonuses:
                        (i) Trinity College Cambridge's river and star (3,6)

[spoiler]CAM NEWTON[/spoiler]
                        (ii) Overheard kidnapping William's boy (7,6)
                        [spoiler]RUSSELL WILSON[/spoiler]
                        (iii) A pair of birds, one of them getting inside artificial intelligence (3,5)
                        [spoiler]JAY AJAYI[/spoiler]
                        (iv) To a doctor of divinity? Sounds a bit feminine (4,6)
                        [spoiler]TODD GURLEY[/spoiler]

Comment

Death in Gyor? Whatsisname's burial place (6)

Comment

I'd still like someone to explain to this bear of little brain the working behind "Bing".

Comment

I'm with Guy on that.

Comment

Friends character Chandler (first name Bing) searching for (referencing eponymous search engine) Perry (the name of the actor who played the Friends Character (Matthew) Perry ? )(4)

Comment

Yeah I get all that. I even guessed the answer was bing (with a side guess of como). I guess I don't really understand what the Perry part was doing in the clue. A signifier of surname?

Comment

Death in Gyor, Whatsisname's burial place (6)

_ _ _ N _ _

Comment

Brief explanation on my last set- all German language names for Hungarian cities

1 GYOR- Raab
                                      2 OFEN (hidden)- Budapest
                                      3 ODENBURG (anagram)- Sopron
                                      4 FUNFKIRCHEN (anagram)- Pecs
                                      5 DEB/RE(Z)IN- Debrecen

Comment

Just on Bing, as I set it, not sure if my occasional clues fulfil any classic set of rules or style guide but I thought this one was a gimme. As mentioned chandler, search and Perry all hint at bing. Arguably the Perry part was superfluous, but it made the clue into a more satisfying sentence and it's hardly misleading- and anyway its a cryptic crossword.
                                        Hopefully Duncan's triflingly trivial Germany exonames clues are more straightforward!
                                        Last edited by seand; 08-12-2017, 10:03.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                          Just on Bing, as I set it, not sure if my occasional clues fulfil any classic set of rules or style guide but I thought this one was a gimme. As mentioned chandler, search and Perry all hint at bing. Arguably the Perry part was superfluous, but hardly misleading and anyway its a cryptic crossword!
                                          Hopefully Duncan's triflingly trivial Germany exonames clues are more straightforward!
                                          Thanks Sean- meanwhile I feel far better informed about other football codes

Comment

I don't understand the Gyor clue either

1 Borrowing money so Brexteer ends up like Raab (4)

except that as Dunc has just explained Raab is the German name for Gyor

Comment

Gyor are the last letters (ends up like) of the first four words. I couldn't connect Gyor to Raab tho until DG showed the way

Comment

It's the last letters of the first four words

Comment

Sean - I hope I didn't sound critical. Really wasn't my intention. Honestly the Perry bit comes across as a bit of a red herring to my mind and it threw me (but also I didn't pick up the search engine reference which presumably would have made me more confident of the answer). One of the things I like about this thread is the different styles of cluing that different posters use

Comment

No worries AH, and you're right to question it if it's not making sense.

Dread thingy causing thirst (11)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X