Comment

Sporting v Rangers

He can't be worse than Jamie Redknapp.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

Don't be so sure:

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

I know. It's appalling, isn't it? The trouble is, all the German commercial channels spend so much on broadcasting rights that they only have enough money left over to pay one presenter - hence Pflaume getting the Bayern gig.

You can bet your life that if Pro 7 had the rights, Stefan fucking Raab would be commentating. (Or "Elton", if Leverkusen were playing).

(See also RTL and Günther Jauch)

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

"Elton" would also cover Unterhaching, given his bobsleigh experience.

And yes, those of you lucky enough not to know what we are talking about, that is our boy Kai promoting the UEFA Cup tie between Getafe and Bayern by standing on the pitch in Camp F*cking Nou.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

I told you this would happen.

Bayern Munich getting through is for the greater good. We all know what would have happened if Getafe had played Rangers in the final. Ninety minutes of faeces culminating in the wrong result.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

I must admit that I am smiling at the thought of you supporting an Italian club in the semi . . .

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

I've no problem with Italian football in general, just what it has become in the last four or five years.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

Of course. And you'll be supporting a club found guilty of attempted CORRUPTION less than 18 months ago . . .

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

The alternative is even worse. But I will probably find something better to do that night, given that we all know what the outcome of the tie is going to be (0-0, 1-0, Thomson 90'+6').

I see Banjo Boy got a yellow card tonight. His tally for the season now stands at three bookings in Europe and 0 in the SPL. If only other players could be as well-behaved as that . . .

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

You'll not find something better to do, you'll watch it and you'll moan like a little girl whatever the outcome.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

If you watch it, how many Rangers games will it be that you've watched this season?

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

not half as many as you is my guess.

what a goal by whitaker.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

what a goal by whitaker
                              Yeah ... might have looked good, but even I could have scored that in my zimmer frame if I'd had as much of an invitation from the Sporting defence.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

Were you watching the Getafe game on a feed?
                                Harry - all four quarter finals were shown live on the ITV Sport website.

In a lifetime of watching football, this is the first time I have been pleasantly surprised by the coverage provided by ITV.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

If you watch it, how many Rangers games will it be that you've watched this season?
                                  Ha ha. This is your version of Show Me Your Medals isn't it. We've got a Setanta package and we're going to use it.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

dalliance is excellent at popping up when Rangers are doing well but remaining curiously silent whenever they're going through a bad patch...

By banjo boy, do you mean Kevin Thomson, HB? Because he got booked against Celtic last week.

That was a completely expected result last night, not in the least surprising.

I think I might have to stick £20 on Rangers to win this now, just as a bit of insurance in case the worst happens. They are by quite some distance the worst footballing side left of the four but Walter Smith's career has been built on assembling gangs of strong, brutish neds and using their physicality to win matches against more talented teams, so they have every chance.

I never, ever thought I'd find myself saying this but thank fuck Bayern scored two jammy late goals to knock out the lovable underdogs last night.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

I know I shouldn't laugh at a "Nakamura ate mah dug" banner. But it represents an instance of humour amongst the Rangers' support, rarely seen since the days of the Anton Rogan Loyal.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

It would have been funnier if it wasn't so utterly ignorant, though. These slit eyes, they're all the same, aren't they?

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

sidjames wrote:
                                          Were you watching the Getafe game on a feed?
                                          Harry - all four quarter finals were shown live on the ITV Sport website.
                                          For free, non-subscription? Aw fuck, I wish I'd known that.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

but Walter Smith's career has been built on assembling gangs of strong, brutish neds and using their physicality to win matches against more talented teams, so they have every chance.
                                            That's not right though is it. During the 1990s Smith had a number of good footballers by any standards, yet Rangers teams in Europe always performed poorer than the sum of their parts through poor preparation and lack of tactical nous.

What has impressed me about Smith is that he has shown an old dog can learn new tricks, first with Scotland and now Rangers. They may not have players like Gascoigne and Laudrup anymore, but they do have a level of well drilled organisation missing from most of his sides during his first stint. I never thought I would see a Walter Smith side that could play a formation that wasn't 442, he has shown adaptability there too.

And as for the 'physicality to win matches against more talented sides' comment. What exactly are you expecting from a Scottish side in Europe ?

Henryk Larsson has a lot to answer for. His bountiful skills dazzled enough people to ensure a collective amnesia that the last Scottish side to reach a European Final was something different from him with ten worker drones alongside him. Rangers go for the full 11 worker drones, albeit having been working on a much smaller budget.

As if there is any other way a Scottish side
                                            can do well in Europe.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

what are worker drones? Do you mean worker bees?

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

Hey, I'm not knocking the approach at all in terms of its outcomes. Smith has done exceptionally well to get Rangers so far on limited resources. He's done exactly the right thing to maximise the resources available to him.

It doesn't mean I can't make cheap, bitter jibes about it, though.

In the 90s, Smith was given the money to sign players like Laudrup, but he still played a pretty physical style of football, with players like McCall, McPherson and Cleland doing the spadework. They had more talented players back then but it was still fundamentally based on quite a physical approach, albeit with a couple of genuinely skillful players tacked on.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

Hofzinser wrote:
                                                  It would have been funnier if it wasn't so utterly ignorant, though. These slit eyes, they're all the same, aren't they?
                                                  It's also part of what makes it funny. You've either got the ignorant meatheads who don't know the difference or the ones who know it is a silly joke.

Comment

Sporting v Rangers

Loth though I am to admit it, I love goals like Whittaker's - they're completely unlike solo goals by yer Maradonas and Ronaldos: you can tell, basically, that he had no real ambition to go on and score when he picked up the ball, but as he went on, tentatively at first but then growing in confidence, you could see him thinking "fuck, I can actually go all the way here".

Still, FA Cup aside, what a hideous season this is turning out to be.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X