Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gareth Wales Baleathon is back, back, back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck sake

Comment

Two Welsh players compete to clear it and combine to assist a Spain goal. Embarrassing.

Comment

Fucking shambles. I know it’s a friendly and I know it’s Spain but this is a dreadful display so far.

Comment

Come on Ray we just had a corner!!!!

Comment

Bring back Chris Coleman.

In defence.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              0-2 Spain. (Meanwhile, John Hartson becomes the latest commentator/co-commentator to fall into the 'Chris Gunter' spoonerism manhole...)
              https://mobile.twitter.com/BenHomer9...145537/video/1

Comment

Well, that header wasn't too shabby...

Comment

I did ponder if I should revive this thread after being convinced some time ago it was cursed. I chose the wrong option.

Comment

I'm kind of glad I forgot this was tonight. Sounds like we're getting a torrid anal hammering.

Comment

Is Bobby Gould wearing a Ryan Giggs mask?

Comment

4-0. Fuck.

Comment

That was a decent move for 1-4.

Comment

Good old Vokesy. I'd actually gone off to do the washing up. Mrs Thistle called me back in to watch the replay.

That's Sam's second headed goal in Cardiff in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              I did ponder if I should revive this thread after being convinced some time ago it was cursed. I chose the wrong option.
                              It could be worse. We could be Scottish.

Comment

Not counting penalty shoot-outs, Spain haven't lost for about two years. The result is perfectly understandable given the level of the players concerned.

Comment

Would have been great to have seen this version of Spain at the World Cup.

Comment

Just seen a bit of chat on Facebook that the game should have been played at the State De Farce as we would have had a better chance there.

Comment

Nah... if you want to see us beat Spain, play it at the Racecourse!

Comment

Evening Dragons. Dropping by to let you know that Gwion Edwards was outstanding against Blackpool today. Played outside left in a 4-3-3 and where the left back (Myles Kenlock) is the reserve one over whom there are always question marks.

He covered really well, including being the fastest player getting back into his own box when a counter attack broke, getting his head to a cross to prevent a likely goal.

And going forward he was the main threat today, scoring two and assisting one of the other two.

Last season he was used as a wing back or even full back after injuries. This season he's played in either of the flanks. Might be the sort of player who suffers from being too versatile if you see what I mean but he would be a useful option in a tournament squad I'm sure.
                                        Last edited by Kevin S; 10-10-2020, 20:09.

Comment

Disinterring the thread to mark Ashley Williams' retirement from football.

I didn't rate Williams that highly for much of his early career (and still think he owed a huge debt to Neil Taylor and Ben Davies who allowed him to thrive for Swansea and Wales) but as Wales most successful captain ever he deserves massive praise.

His goal against Belgium in Lille and more importantly his and the whole team, squad & backroom staff's reaction to it is a fitting testament to his central role in the greatest era of our lives ;

Comment

Assuming this isn't a massive coincidence it is a fantastic story :

https://twitter.com/bettsy51/status/1354030803794210823?s=21

Comment

He was asked about it a few years ago

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...shley-11870964

Comment

Great story, I didn't realise that Subbuteo was still popular that late in the 90s. TBH, I thought it had died out sometime in the 80s.

Comment

I saw this yesterday and had no idea where to put it but I think it fits well here.

I know that Ray de Galles didn't rate him but slowly came around, was it the Swansea factor?

He was immense for Swansea, consistently putting his body on the line by throwing himself in front of the ball. He grew and developed as a player and sadly left Swansea at the wrong time. There were strong rumours that he was going to leave under Laudrup for Arsenal, which led to the breakdown in the relationship between Laudrup and Jenkins. He was passed his best when he joined Everton and things didn't work out for him.

For Wales he took on the captaincy and thrived, allowing Ramsey and others to concentrate on playing only.

A great player for Swansea and Wales, and a much better leader. Thanks Ashley Williams.

Comment

My judgement of him was never really based on him being a Swansea player but more the fact that whenever I saw him for club and country over many years he always made at least one potentially catastrophic error per match.

I think even his biggest fans concede that he wasn't always the best defender but was hugely committed and a great captain. Certainly there were always more talented players around him for Swansea and Wales (as I mentioned in the initial post) who he thrived playing with in a symbiotic relationship.

As you say, he definitely developed in to a far better player as his career went on (unsurprising for a relatively late starter as a pro/league player) but never looked the same outside of the Jacks' or Welsh back four, as evinced by his time at Everton and Stoke.
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-01-2021, 18:58.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X