Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gareth Wales Baleathon is back, back, back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aldo Simoncini wrote:
    Jorge Porbillas wrote:
    So you think Earnshaw should have been in the squad??
    Well, he should have been in before Easter anyway.
    Why? His form hasn't got worse since Easter..

Comment

The rest of us let that cross sail past as we'd realised the offside flag had gone up but mnb hammers it home, rips off his shirt and jumps in to the away support before the jeers of the home fans make him aware of his mistake and he is booked for his trouble.

Comment

It was a schoolboy error on my part, to be fair.

Comment

Like I said, if you'd have offered me that at the start of the season I'd have ripped your hands off, like I said.

Comment

Harry Carpenter wrote:
            I specifically think Savage is correct is allegedly saying

the boss is ditching experienced players for youngsters scared to stand up to him.
            as that has been Toshack's consistent practice.
            Or perhaps he's just not selecting tiresome troublemakers for the sake of squad unity?

It's all old ground, I know, but I do wish Savage would shut the fuck up. Earnshaw's attitude has been criticised by more than one manager recently - Tosh, Billy Davies and Paul Jewell reckon he's not putting in the effort, so it's not just Toshack's bias against Earnie here.

Comment

Code:
              the sake of squad unity
              Ha ha ha! Let's go back in time to that glorious united time of the Cyprus defeat and a scraped win against San Marino ;

Wales manager John Toshack has launched a stinging attack on his players by suggesting they are spoilt and do not care about playing for their country.

Toshack's side play San Marino on Wednesday, a fixture that comes days after a 3-1 defeat in Cyprus.

And Toshack said: "The players will say they do care and it is rubbish to say they don't. But did it look like they cared? It didn't look like it to me."

Toshack added that they "take for granted" playing for Wales.

I feel that some of the players take (the treatment they receive) for granted - I don't like that

"I was in charge of that team, and people will look at me and wonder what I was doing. That hurts my pride," he added.

"I'd hope that some of them feel the same - but I am not sure that they do."

Toshack had remained tight-lipped since suggesting he would "take a hard look" at himself after watching his side throw away a half-time lead in Nicosia on Saturday.

But he delivered another heartfelt speech at Tuesday's media conference, insisting resigning as manager had never entered his mind.

The 58-year-old former Real Madrid manager also rejected suggestions the squad are no longer playing for him, and revealed he had spoken frankly to them about their attitudes.

"What I saw on the pitch the other night was unacceptable," said Toshack.

"I did question the attitude of some of them. When I went for this job, the people offered me three years. I turned it down and insisted on five years.

"You looked at some of those things on the field and think 'what have we been doing here for the last two-and-a-half years?'.

"This is a young group. The experienced players are still a couple of years away from the experience we need and I don't like some of the things that I see.

"Another five star hotel boys, here we are in Rimini now. Look out the window, if the waves are making a noise in the evening, just phone down and we'll see if we can move you over to one of the rooms on the other side of the hotel.

"We have a chef with us now who makes the food. They travel well wherever they go.

"There are doctors, physios, kit men, masseurs lugging skips about, taking equipment down the training ground and putting it down for them.

I needed to let one or two of the players know how I felt

"Sometimes I feel that some of these take it for granted and I don't like that and won't accept it.

"The people who've paid money to go to Cyprus have got to go home to do a shift. They pay money again to come to San Marino and watch the game.

"We travel around and get paid for doing it and doesn't cost us a penny. I needed to let one or two of them know how I felt."

Toshack said he believed Wales had turned a corner following recent positive results against Slovakia, Bulgaria and the Czech Republic.

But he admitted that Saturday's performance against Cyprus was one of the "worst he had ever seen", although he rejected suggestions this was the worst Wales team ever.

"It's certainly not as blessed with Premier League players like previous Welsh teams," he said.

Wales face Group D whipping boys San Marino on Wednesday, but such is the depth of Toshack's despair at his side's current form, he is not taking victory for granted.

"I suppose they are going to have to win one day," he said of San Marino, who have never won a competitive game.

"I'd like to think we'll perform better than we did the other night. I'd like to think we'd win and get three points.

"But even if we do, it won't take away what I felt from the game in Cyprus."
              A lot of the players know Toshack is a bitter egomaniacal old cunt and a relic who should have packed in management over a decade ago. I've said it scores of times, the single biggest problem with squad unity is the twat in charge.

Comment

Isn't that what a lot of people think about footballers though

Comment

Yes, the fact that Toshack acts like your average man on the street instead of an international football manager meant to get the best out of pro players is one of my main problems with him.

Comment

It does feel like the old Walesathon now though.

Comment

Fashions come and go but style remains.

I think Tosh is doing a bit better than I would if I was as an international manager.

Just because he speaks like a man on the street doesn't mean he's wrong or out of touch or behind the times. He's been around football all his working life so he's likely to know a bit about the subject, a bit more than Savage certainly.

Comment

I think Tosh is doing a bit better than I would if I was as an international manager.

Just because he speaks like a man on the street doesn't mean he's wrong or out of touch or behind the times. He's been around football all his working life so he's likely to know a bit about the subject, a bit more than Savage certainly.
                        You could make exactly the same arguments for Bryan Robson, of course.

Comment

Harry Carpenter wrote:
                          A lot of the players know Toshack is a bitter egomaniacal old cunt and a relic who should have packed in management over a decade ago. I've said it scores of times, the single biggest problem with squad unity is the twat in charge.
                          Yawn ...

... Earnie was in that squad in Cyprus and there were a lot of rumours flying around about how he was stirring up shiot in Cyprus. Now if that was the reason behind a disunited squad which led to the two bollock-awful performances, then I'm happy Tosh is doing the right thing ...

The thing is we don't know, do we, but based on Ireland, Germany, Norway and Luxembourg (as well as the U21s) I'm happy for him to do what he thinks is best.

Comment

Jorge Porbillas wrote:

... Earnie was in that squad in Cyprus and there were a lot of rumours flying around about how he was stirring up shiot in Cyprus. Now if that was the reason behind a disunited squad which led to the two bollock-awful performances,
                            Oh, well when you have such a plausible well-supported argument I have to bow down to it , don't I?

So, it's the players being pampered and Earnie being a naughty little pixie that were to blame for Cyprus and San Marino?

Comment

Great bit of selective quoting there Harry

Comment

Jorge Porbillas wrote:

Yawn ...
                                Well, reprinting Savage's latest attack in the press and whinging about is is as boring as Savage's dig in the first place.

The thing is we don't know, do we, but based on Ireland, Germany, Norway and Luxembourg (as well as the U21s) I'm happy for him to do what he thinks is best.
                                And last year you were for him getting fired and before that pro-him and no doubt you'll change with the wind or the result of a few meaningless dead rubbers and friendlies again.

Comment

Harry Carpenter wrote:
                                  And last year you were for him getting fired and before that pro-him and no doubt you'll change with the wind or the result of a few meaningless dead rubbers and friendlies again.
                                  I think I said I was beginning to be swayed by those who were anti-Tosh after the Cyprus debacle. I don't think I came out and said I wanted him sacked.

But feel free to write more garbage and pass it off as my opinion or to try and second guess what I think ...

Comment

Jorge Porbillas wrote:
                                    Great bit of selective quoting there Harry
                                    Look, you want to have your cake and eat it by introducing turgid gossipy bullshit as some kind of evidence and then adding your "but we don't really know do we?" caveat.

Where do you work, BBC Wales or Heat magazine?

Comment

Harry Carpenter wrote:
                                      Well, reprinting Savage's latest attack in the press and whinging about is is as boring as Savage's dig in the first place.
                                      Actually, it's quite pertinent to point out that he is STILL stirring things up, just using a new stick with which to beat Toshack.

Comment

And it's just as pertinent to say he's still right.

Comment

Harry Carpenter wrote:
                                          Where do you work, BBC Wales or Heat magazine?
                                          Neither ... not that it's at all relevant to a fucking message board discussion.

You're beginning to fuck me off now, so I'll leave it there

Comment

Ha ha ha! Let's go back in time to that glorious united time of the Cyprus defeat and a scraped win against San Marino ;
                                            It was only a vocal minority in Seravalle that night that wanted Toshack out. The majority on hand there thought that the Savage praisers were dead wrong for supporting that twat.

OTF on the other hand, was a different kettle of fish.

I still don't want Jermain Easter near a starting XI again. He's contributed fuck all in all the games i've seen him play. Yes, I would prefer Earnshaw, even though a blind man can see the commitment to the cause isn't there. Those bloody headphones that are constantly glued to his head is a pretty good insight.

Mind you, I would rather see Earnie coming on to try and nick us a goal, than any other fringe strikers.

Comment

Aldo Simoncini wrote:

It was only a vocal minority in Seravalle that night that wanted Toshack out. The majority on hand there thought that the Savage praisers were dead wrong for supporting that twat.
                                              I'm not talking about the support, I'm talking about the disunity when a manager has a cowardly attack on his players to deflect criticism of himself after a terrible performance, an attack which backfires with a worse performance a few days later.

OTF on the other hand, was a different kettle of fish.
                                              So, the sample of supporters on OTF might just be brighter than those in San Marino.

Comment

Fair enough, I see your point. But the best thing that happened that night was the 'vicious fans'. Is it the cynic in me that thinks it might have woken up someone?

Comment

Yep, this feels like the Walesathon.

Comment

Aldo Simoncini wrote:
                                                    Fair enough, I see your point. But the best thing that happened that night was the 'vicious fans'. Is it the cynic in me that thinks it might have woken up someone?
                                                    Who?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X