Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gareth Wales Baleathon is back, back, back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad phoned me up to say he had resigned. I said I knew and he was going to Sunderland, which dad didn't know. He said pretty much what we've all said here - that it's a terrible move.

It looks like the sense of WTF is intergenerational.

Comment

[devil's advocate]Sunderland are potentially a big club. They haven't been outside England's top 25 sides in a quarter of a century. If someone can turn their current results around, they have the support and infrastructure to compete in the top ten of the Premier League. And people in Football need to have iron-clad belief in their own abilities, so Coleman will think he can succeed where Moyes and Grayson have failed.
      Sunderland will also be the biggest club that Coleman has managed. Given his club cv, he was never going to get a gig at a Champions League level side, so maybe what has happened is that Everton have made it clear he doesn't meet their expectations of previous managerial achievement, hence he needs to take a job a rung down if he ever wants a gig like that.[/devil's advocate]

But it's still bizarre. They would surely be heading for relegation even with peak-Brian Clough in charge. I hope he has been given reassurance that he will be in place in August 2019 even if the club are still in League One at that point.

Comment

I don't disagree with your assessments. Although I'm always sceptical of people talking up the potential of a club this way. At the moment it's kind of irrelevant as they are where they are, looking like relegation fodder again.

I don't think Coleman's club record gives any indication that he is the man to save Sunderland and restore them to the top flight. He may have learned a lot in his five years out of the domestic game of course.

I think the criteria were 1) it's a job, 2) he's been offered it.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
          Why in God’s name has he gone to Sunderland?
          Apparently there are a million reasons.

Comment

It's almost a no-lose situation.

Fail - it's not his fault, circumstances were against him.
            Succeed - adoration of a large fanbase, enhances his chances of a bigger job.

Comment

Sunderland have only been in Europe once - the CWC in 1973 - although admittedly were unluck to miss out in 2001 when their 7th place finish would have been enough, had Liverpool (who won the UEFA Cup) not qualified for the Champions League. Liverpool wouldn't have needed their own (Premier League based) place in the UEFA Cup so it would have gone to 7th place. Mind you, Sunderland then passed up on the Intertoto Cup, which in those days was kind of like Europa League qualifying.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                It's almost a no-lose situation.

Fail - it's not his fault, circumstances were against him.
                Succeed - adoration of a large fanbase, enhances his chances of a bigger job.
                It didn't work that way for anyone who took the Villa job.

Pulis may soon be available, but I would have thought he'd be happier in a well remunerated fire fighter role for struggling clubs for a couple of years, like a baseball capped Sam Allardyce.

Comment

Wouldn't Coleman want Roberts as his assistant at Sunderland?

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                    Apparently there are a million reasons.
                    Signing on fee or annual salary?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                      It didn't work that way for anyone who took the Villa job.
                      I'm with you, I was just trying to play devil's advocate seeing it from Coleman's POV.

Pulis may soon be available, but I would have thought he'd be happier in a well remunerated fire fighter role for struggling clubs for a couple of years, like a baseball capped Sam Allardyce.
                      My choice would be Rob Page. Would make sense with all these youngsters coming through.

Comment

I really don't see the attraction in appointing Giggs ... he has no managerial experience and he's certainly not as "box office" as some would have you believe ... we already have Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey who are box office we need a manager who will nurture the new talent, not try and shag their girlfriends

Comment

And a manager that didn't cry off from almost every friendly which makes me think that Coleman had a subtle dig at him when he said we need a passionate Welshman to take charge. I'd rather have Pullis than Giggs. I'm actually tempted by the idea of Craig Bellamy.

Comment

I'd be much keener to see Bellamy over Giggs.

Comment

Bit of an out there suggestion, how about Alan Curtis?

Comment

Well Mr Beast, the first part of that is now true. Perhaps we'll get the chance to test your theory.

Comment

If Pulis takes over I will have to consider retiring from watching international football

Comment

I fancy TP to replace Mickey O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                                      If Pulis takes over I will have to consider retiring from watching international football
                                      If Pulis takes over, where's he gonna find another 837 centre-backs?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                        Signing on fee or annual salary?
                                        Bonus for keeping them up (on top of a very generous salary) , maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                                          Is it too much to hope that Osian is the kingmaker here and won't have anything to do with Pulis?

Comment

Hartson and Bellamy both appear to be saying they want the job. I'd be happy with either as both were always committed to playing for Wales. Bellamy appears to have the relevant coaching badges as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                              Is it too much to hope that Osian is the kingmaker here and won't have anything to do with Pulis?
                                              Osian has apparently endorsed Pulis, I sincerely hope not.

Comment

"Endorsed" or 'wisely not slagged off someone who might end up being his boss'?

I could see a comment like, "Well, Tony is a very experienced manager and I'm not surprised he is being linked to the job." being reported as an endorsement in the press.

Comment

Well one of the the things to come out of the Elis James podcast is how much Danny Gabbidon and Iwan Roberts rate Pulis as a man manager.

Comment

How much do they rate him? Highly or low?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X