Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gareth Wales Baleathon is back, back, back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am having to invent a thread to mask another one as there is no delete button on the edit function.

So, Luxembourg eh? Their national anthem is to the same tune as the USA's, I thought it was to the same tune as 'g*d save the q**en' and wondered if would be booed by the Welsh support on principle but I think I must have confused them with Liechtenstein.

Luxembourg do have the advantage of being spelled "Lwcsembwrg" in Welsh though.

I think that was the main reason for screening the game on S4C..

Comment

is this the walesthon?

great win for the u21'sd in bosnia, 2 goals in last 5 mins

Comment

1-0 wales

i bet the section M fanatics are not happy

Comment

Do you feel lucky, punk? etc

Comment

Bloody hell. I'm watching this on S4C (via MyP2P), so I haven't got a clue what anyone's talking about, but this fixture hasn't exactly caught the imagination of the Luxembourgeois public, has it? I've seen more people at a Barry Town match.

Comment

Wow - so this is where we all are now then - is this the new Walesathon?

I'm watching S4C on my laptop in Sarajevo's Holiday Inn! The U21s match was awesome!

Comment

2-0! Easy-peasy. Davies takes it to the goal-line and cuts back for an Eastwood tap-in. Lovely.

Comment

Ideal - right in front of my flag which my brother's taken to Lux!

Comment

Jacques Santer! Brian Molko! Karl Marx (almost)! France Gall (for one day)! Robert Schumann! Theo Kerg! Joseph Kutter! Er... Saint Willibrord (thank you, Google)! Your boys...! etc

Comment

I know it's only a friendly against Luxembourg, but we're knocking it around really nicely at the moment.

Comment

Jorge, that was a lovely intro you gave at the start of the prog.

Lofty's an international!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm not sure we need a new Walesathon. As a mature nation we need not huddle in the splendid isolation of one mammoth thread but instead must take our message out to the people and initiate new threads on a subject-by-subject basis when needed.

That and I got bored of the old one, it was turning in to the "What flight/ferry?", "How much are tickets?" kind of humdrum best left to WalesAway lists and the like. I preferred it when it was an arena for splenetic disagreement about Toshack et al. Speaking of which, nice to see my voodoo doll of him is working.

The only thing I am gleaning from S4C's commentary tonight is the repeated mention of Myhill's actual first name being Glyn.

Comment

Kowalski wrote:
                            Jorge, that was a lovely intro you gave at the start of the prog.
                            Cheers - my best Bosnian that was!

Comment

SR, you forgot this man, Marc Girardelli

I remembered him from Ski Sunday

His Biog on Wikipedia

"Marc Girardelli (born 18 July 1963 in Lustenau, Austria) is a former alpine skier.

Girardelli started skiing at the age of five, and started racing at seven. After initially racing for Austria until 1976, he switched to racing for Luxembourg due to his Jewish background. His grandfather and Adolf Hitler had a falling out due to their political and cultural differences back in elementary school. In 1981 he started to make significant progress with his first podium in Wengen, Switzerland, and from that moment was in contention for Slalom and Giant Slalom podiums on a regular basis.

In 1983 he achieved his first victory in Sweden, but shortly thereafter he received his first major injury, when he tore all the ligaments in his left knee. In spite of this major injury, he went on to win five slalom races in 1984 and be placed third in the overall World Cup standings.

In 1985, Girardelli won the world cup along with 11 races in the season. This was followed by another world cup in 1986 and a third in 1989, where he won every discipline. After another major accident in 1990, in which he narrowly avoided paraplegia, he recovered to win the overall World Cup again in 1991 and then in 1993 for a fifth time - achieving a record which has yet to be equalled.

In addition to his two Olympic silver medals earned at the 1992 Games in Albertville, Girardelli won 11 World Championship medals including 4 golds (Slalom at Saalbach in 1991 and Combined at Crans-Montana in 1987, Vail in 1989 and Sierra Nevada in 1996)."

Comment

Things I never knew...

Eastwood was born in Basildon, Essex and is a member of the Romani community. He was often seen exercising his horse on the A127 road in Essex on the morning of a match day when playing for Southend United. He is married with two children.

He appealed to the British Government in August 2006 to keep his home on a travellers site in Basildon after Basildon Council refused planning permission.[3] Eastwood and his family were told in November 2006 that the decision of Basildon Council would not be upheld by the Government and he was free to stay there for at least the next five years.
                                (Wikipedia)

Wow. Do any other well-known footballers come from that sort of background?

Comment

Bored of the Dance has collated a list of Roma/Rom/Romany footballers, I think Baros is one.

The Eastwood thing was well covered when he broke through for Southend and then again when he declared for Wales.

Comment

Neville Southall smiling briefly caused the Sky Sports News rolling graphic to crash.

Comment

Nev ... smiling?

Never in Europe Gw'boi

Comment

It's also on BBC Radio Wales if anyone's interested. It sounds like there's only about 50 people in the crowd.

Comment

There's no such thing as an easy international match nowadays

Comment

Brian Blessed advertising for Bridgend Ford, off the artistic roll call.

Comment

After initially racing for Austria until 1976, he switched to racing for Luxembourg due to his Jewish background. His grandfather and Adolf Hitler had a falling out due to their political and cultural differences back in elementary school
                                              Leaving aside his Olympic medal, the above is a fantastic couple of lines to have in your biog.

There is a member of the 1927 club who announced that he used to be one of the top 200 skiers in the world

Comment

Rom footballers

Freddy Eastwood
                                                Raby Howell
                                                Banel Nicolita
                                                Christos Patsatzoglou
                                                Andrea Pirlo
                                                Ricardo Quaresma
                                                José Antonio Reyes
                                                Milan Baros
                                                Johann Trollman

Comment

'Rom'? You're ahead of the curve, BOTD, I'll give you that.

First it was 'Romany', then 'Romani', then 'Roma' and now it's 'Rom'.

The preferred nomenclature will be 'R' before long, just you wait.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X