Concentration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concentration

So I've been reading an essay penned by Arild Stavrum, who grew up and played with with Ole Gunnar Solskjær and had a reasonably successful career himself, playing for clubs in Norway, Sweden, Scotland and Turkey. He's retired and has been coaching for a few years. The essay is called ”How to score a goal”, and has a few points I thought would be of interest.

At the age of 25, having had a number of high-scoring seasons, Stavrum suffered a dry spell after signing for a new club, but his old coach brought him to Swedish side Helsingborg, where he rediscovered his goalscoring touch.

"The season after, I won the Swedish golden boot. The standard of football in the Swedish and Norwegian league is roughly similar. I hadn't become a significantly better player, and there weren't major differences in the way we trained. Still, at [former club] Stabæk I scored 7 league goals, at Helsingborg I scored 18, and the biggest difference was that I had changed my way of thinking. Or in other words, I had started thinking.

Of my 18 league goals in 1998, the vast majority were scored from close range. I intercepted back-passes, I was first to rebounds and developed a knack for losing my marker at the back post. I had an awakening and realised that "simple goals" count as much as "nice goals". A shot in the top corner from 30 yards is not worth more than sliding in a rebound. And if you pay attention, you'll be first to the ball that drops a yard off the line, ready to be rolled in. I started asking myself questions: Why do some forwards score simple goals? Why do the same players pop up all the time to poke the ball across the line? These questions made me a more concious player. I calculated where loose balls were most likely to end up. Where I could pick up those "easy" goals."

He then tells of his first season in Sweden where his team only has to beat an already relegated side in the final game of the season to win the league, but everything goes wrong and they lose 2-0. The next season, incredibly, the scenario is the same, except that they face a much better side in the deciding game. Long story short: he scores the title-deciding winner, a "simple" goal.

"Jansson chests the ball down, 20 yards from goal, and shapes up to shoot. I see that he's standing slightly to the left. I see that he’s going to shoot, and I start my run. It’s a good shot, it’s hard and the keeper can’t hold on to it. He pushes the ball to the right, where I’m standing, four yards out, with no opponent in sight. I know all I have to do is hit the target. The keeper is outplayed, the ball bounces, and I focus. I concentrate intensely on my one kick of the ball. I’m going to shoot it down on the ground, into the empty net. It’s so simple, so incredibly simple, but there’s nobody else around to do the simple thing. I shoot, I score and we win one nil.

This was the most important goal I scored in my career. I later experienced a cup final at Hampden Park in front of 60 000 people, and intense Istanbul derbies. But the moment I best remember, is that goal.”

Anyway,

when he retires and starts coaching, he goes at it systematically. He starts analysing goals and finds that concentration is a surprisingly important factor. ”42 percent of chances and 48 percent of goals came as a consequence of someone not paying attention”. Looking back at his playing days he admits that one of his weaknesses was when the other team had a corner kick (as a striker he’d be waiting at the half way line to pick up the clearance, ”The strangest things started to go through my mind. It could be movies, music or books. I started looking for familiar faces in the crowd. I started thinking about crosswords. And when the corner eventually was taken and the ball was cleared towards me, I was always too late. Every single time. The centre-back came sliding in from behind and cleared the ball away. I was a goalscorer and was used to being alert in finishing situations, but I was useless at picking up clearances from our own defenders.”

He then goes on to say

”For me, it was for several years nigh on impossible to score in a match if I had started by hitting the post. My old coach was partly to blame. He discovered this and started joking that he might as well substitute me if I hit the post first, as he then knew I wouldn’t score, and to me that was a self-fulfilling statement. On the other hand, I could revel in my own success if I scored too early. The connection between negative internal and external experiences (stress) and concentration is well documented. But positive experiences having a negative effect is contrary to many people’s understanding. A lot is said about ”being in the zone” and that’s well and good, but sometimes there’s a fine line between that and, at worst, something resembling narcissism. If I scored in the first half, I was more or less satisfied. I knew I’d be starting the next match, and that I’d be in the papers, and that I’d done my bit for the team. I’m sure my coaches would have taken me off immediately after an early goal if they knew what went through my mind.”

Now this I find interesting. I’ve noticed that Gabriel Agbonlahor, for one, *never* scores more than once in a game (correct me if I’m wrong). Could it be something similar at play?

Stavrum goes on to say that John Carew never scores ”concentration” goals. ”Even though he has played for clubs like Valencia, Roma and Lyon, Carew hardly ever gets the simple goals. He has speed, jumping ability and raw strength. But what separates him from taking the step from Norway’s best to one of the world’s best, is the number of goals. And he’d score loads more if he’d learn to exploit rebounds.”

So who then is the master of scoring ”concentration” goals? Stavrum says it’s Inzaghi and it’s hard to argue, although I’d say Ruud van Nistelrooy runs him pretty close.

”The best teams in the world are based on well-organised defensive work. They work hard as a team to break up their opponents’ play, and leave much of the creative, the goals, to one or two forwards. At Milan, who won this year’s Champions’ League, the goals are scored by Kaka and Inzaghi, while the rest of the side is extremely well-organised and structured around defenders with up to 20 seasons behind them. Kaka is the creative forward, while Inzaghi probably is the world’s best at scoring concentration goals. When I watch Milan play and the commentator says ”We haven’t seen him until now, but there Inzaghi pops up yet again and scores!” I get pissed off. Because the commentator hasn’t seen all the runs Inzaghi has made. All the times he was first to a rebound that never materialised. All the times he was free inside the area but the cross never came. Inzaghi is the most alert striker in the world. It’s no coincidence that he scores ”simple” goals again and again.

(And if *that* doesn’t lure ganja out of his cave, I don’t know what will.)

Concentration

you'll have to change the thread title to 'SuperPippo most concentrated player in the world'

Comment

Concentration

From wikipedia:
      In between coaching, he presents the Norweigan version of Location, Location, Location.

Made his debut as a fictional novel writer in march 2008. "31 years on gras" (meaning "on hold") takes an ironic view of the life of a top footballer.

Arild enjoys watching paint dry and Italian BMT from Subway.

I wondered why I remembered him at Aberdeen and see there was an Ince like situation in his transfer to Besisktas. Was there anything else controversial about his time there?

Comment

Concentration

That's a terrific piece, Otto. Thanks again for taking the time to translate it.

He sounds like the Norwegian Gerd Mueller (without the drinking). As for Pippo, he is struggling this season with not getting picked at all, or getting picked as Milan's only striker. It would make a lot of sense to me if strikers who focused on "concentration" goals found them more difficult to come by if they are alone up front.

Comment

Concentration

Fascinating stuff, Otto, thanks.

I've been playing football in some capacity or other for almost 30 years and I'm only now trying to get to grips with this whole idea of reducing down psychologically to achieve what ought to be the simple act of shooting and scoring. Why do I blaze it just wide - always just wide but always the wrong side of the post- so often? Why do I shoot straight at the keeper? Sometimes I try to remember, block that rush of blood to the head, shape up, try to pass it in, but then more often than not, that means there isn't enough power on the shot. I do score goals but I always feel that if I were to make some sort of mental adjustment I could score more.

Comment

Concentration

You have to get all thoughts like that away from you, before the pass comes, so its not a matter of 'what will happen', its 'when it happens, I will...'. I suppose it depends on your mindset, and I dont mean the 'I am magnificent' type thing, although that sort of helps. Its more a case of NOT thinking 'I hope I dont fuck this up'

Not totally instinctive (especially for someone like me of a certain age)

And I concur, thanks otto. This is one of the great reasons for reading OTF.

Comment

Concentration

That was a shit reply, sorry wingco.

The goalscoring thing is difficult to describe. I played at a reasonable level for about 20 years, and I couldnt begin to describe what Mr Stavrum did. There is a lot to do with running where the ball ISNT, and not worrying about what the goalie does or even to an extent, where he is.

Good goalkeepers tend to follow a certain pattern... angles, positioning etc. So, you should sort of know where one should be, and if he isnt, you know there is a gap, and although it sounds like Einstein-like calculations, its not really. Aim for the gap.

When you are playing against people like Cech or Schmiechel (for example), a lot of it is to do with speed of thought, and not necessarily power. And a whiff of luck.

I would rather play against Cech than a pub keeper any day. So would my bank manager.

*and that didnt help either... wingco, can I borrow your writing skills? I know what I want to say, but there is no way I can express it.

Comment

Concentration

When Aberdeen drew Bohemians (that's our Bohemians, not the Prague outfit) in the UEFA Cup a few years ago, Stavrum told the press: "I don't know anything about them, but I must say they have a very cool name!"

Comment

Concentration

That's probably why I recognised his name immediately.

I'll just echo the praise for Otto. That was very interesting. Thanks for translating - hopefully we get the old board back for the Henning Berg translations.

Comment

Concentration

Very interesting indeed, Otto, thank you for posting.

Comment

Concentration

Thanks Otto.

I've often wondered how much 'rebound practice' Inzaghi puts in during the week. He has that natural instinct, a bit like Dennis Rodman in his glory/madman years.

Comment

Concentration

Very intersting Otto, thanks for that. Was it you who translated the Henning Berg biog on the old board ? That was great as well.

Stavrum was a very good goalscorer for the Dons, in a rather mediocre team. He was a different breed from the average Scottish footballer and was into books and other flowery nonsense. For some reason he was not particularly even before his 'controversial' transfer. Basically, he exercised a clause in his contract to go to Fenerbahce for a bag of beans. For some reason, he felt the need to invent a family bereavement before appearing in the Turkish press in a Fener shirt. I don't think he did very well over there.

Do you know of any stories from his Dons days ? Tales of the book club with Robbie Winters and Andy Dow perhaps...

Comment

Concentration

very good post,

This must be why I slipped through the net, when I play I seem to have thing like music, films and holiday plans circulating around my head.

Comment

Concentration

Thanks Otto, that was very interesting. It's always baffled me how many people (in England particularly) are genuinely convinced that Inzaghi's just lucky, and no more. The number of times he 'luckily' appears in just the right place surely should suggest to these people that he's doing something deliberately... but apparently not.

Comment

Concentration

Excellent Otto.

In addition to Gerd Muller who was, as mentioned earlier, the epitome of a successful goal-hanger, I would add Jimmy Greaves and Gary Lineker.

One of the aspects of junior football with the advent of Coerver style coaching and small sided games with no keepers is that strikers with that sort of instinct are not being developed.

Comment

Concentration

Thanks for your kind comments, guys.

Stavrum quotes Ally McCoist who says something along the lines of "scoring a tap-in from 2 yards out isn't hard. The hard part is the two seconds prior to the situation."

He's refreshingly eloquent and opinionated for a footballer (Stavrum that is, not McCoist although he might be as well). He says that during his spell in Scotland he stopped reading the sports pages due to the crazy tabloids they have there and started reading the politics and entertainment sections instead. I guess that helps.

He writes an occasional collumn for one of the big papers here, which he usuall uses to wind up Rosenborg and their supporters. How they are favoured by referees, and how the opposition never gets a penalty at their ground.

Stavrum comes from, and played for, Molde, who were pretenders to Rosenborg's throne in the mid 90s and indeed came very close to breaking their league title winning streak before Solskjær signed for Man Utd. So the two clubs have developed a bit of a rivalry and Stavrum likes to fan the flames.

Interesting points from wingco and others about concentrating in front of goal. I remember a young Gianluca Vialli quoted as saying that scoring goals wasn't that difficult, you just had to stay calm and use (the inside of) your head.

Similar to what someone else said here I find that I tend to do things on autopilot when I find myself in a finishing situation, and quite often I miss and it's easy in hindsight to see that I'd have scored if I had done this or that instead. If only I had kept a clear head.

Of course, it would help to have better time on the ball and awareness of how much time I've got, which is a major factor that separates good players from ordinary ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X