So, David Norris then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, David Norris then...

Clearly he's this month's Russell Brand, given that his ill-advised goal celebration (a private message to Luke McCormick) on Saturday is the main item on Sky News (as opposed to Sky Sports News).

Whilst not condoning either what Norris did, and especially not what McCormick did, but the overreaction is already way over the top.

And no, none of us at the game noticed anythinng at the time, and I'd guess most of us were aware that Norris was not only friends with McCormick, but it was Norris' wedding that McCormick had attended.

So, David Norris then...

Surely it was a public message? I mean, he could have sent McCormick a postcard. Or a text, if they're allowed.

I agree it's a non-story, although upsetting for the bereaved family etc.

Comment

So, David Norris then...

I thought this was going to be about Ireland's leading gay rights activist, and all around super hero David Norris.

Comment

So, David Norris then...

I thought it was a tribute to Adam Ant.

Comment

So, David Norris then...

Norris's likely punishment is dropping to the reserves when Magilton signs his hero, Ireland's leading inactivist David Healy.

AIATL's right about the Prof. He was strutting his stuff in Dublin when I was a student years ago.

http://www.tcd.ie/GreenPages/GreenWeek/Green_Week_launch2007.JPG

Comment

So, David Norris then...

I think the BBC should sack David Norris, all of them.

Comment

So, David Norris then...

Where did the "handcuffs" celebration originate? The only other player I recall doing it is Tim Cahill. Has anyone else done it?

Comment

So, David Norris then...

Call me old fashioned but I'd like to see tossers like Norris booed and abused for several years rather than given some crap punishment by the FA.

Somebody wittier than me should make up a song about his fondness for handcuffs and/or support for pissed people who kill children. Preferably something deeply offensive. Then we could all sing it whenever he appeared.

He is a shithead but so are lots of footballers and other people too. It can't be right to give official punishments to some shitheads and not others.

PS Didn't a Brentford player do the same thing but is getting away with it because he wasn't on telly?

Comment

So, David Norris then...

The Brentford player (Charlie MacDonald) did the same celebration during yesterday's live game with Havant & Waterlooville.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y2o5MFhzQ1A5RlpFQlE9PQ

Comment

So, David Norris then...

Town midfielder David Norris has issued a statement in which he has denied making a "handcuff" gesture or sending a personal message to jailed former team-mate Luke McCormick with his goal celebration during Saturday's game at Blackpool.

Norris said: "Further to the club statement earlier today, I would like to reiterate my wholehearted apology for the upset my goal celebration at Blackpool has caused.

"I would like to stress that I made no handcuff gesture or personal message to Luke McCormick. I can now see how my actions have been misinterpreted and for that and any distress that this has caused the Peak family I am truly sorry. I would never act so insensitively after such a tragedy.

"When I woke up this morning to the media coverage's interpretation of the celebration, I was obviously very upset. People who know me know I'm a decent family man and I would never do anything intentionally to upset another family.

"I have heard the comments from the Peak family since the club issued a statement and I would like to thank them for their understanding.

"I will be contacting the family in the near future to speak to them personally and I would also like to apologise to Ipswich Town Football Club for the embarrassment caused."

Comment

So, David Norris then...

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1084570/Brentford-striker-MacDonald-My-celebration-wasnt-McCormick-son-loves-X-Factor.html

Comment

So, David Norris then...

that's either VERY quick thinking from the Brentford lad, or he's just got seriously unlucky with the timing of his lovely gesture to his sons love of crap telly.

Comment

So, David Norris then...

I can't see any reason to connect MacDonald to McCormick, so that's a bit of an odd story.

Comment

So, David Norris then...

Phoebe, the bit you're missing from articles reporting that statement is "However, his statement failed to explain what his gesture was or how it was meant to have been interpreted".

Comment

So, David Norris then...

I think he's still working on that.

He has now said that it was a private message to McCormick, contradicting the above statement, which in itself contradicted his comments after the game.

He needs to stop digging and admit he was a twat of the highest order.

Comment

So, David Norris then...

It's an even clearer example than Brand/Ross-gate of the bizarre and hypocritical approach that says "I find this offensive, so I'm going to plaster it all over the media so that millions more who'd never have noticed it otherwise can get offended by it!"

Comment

So, David Norris then...

i find all this a bit sanctimonious. as i see it david norris was giving a message to a friend who is doing time at HM pleasure. he was not condoning the crime or excusing the crime or belittling the crime. it was not directed at the Peak family who god knows have suffered an awful loss.
                                  isn't it possible to say "love the sinner, but hate the sin"? if mccormack has repented for what he did, and is serving his punishment manfully, then it is a bit ghoulish of the BBC/sky news etc to descend on the grieving family and push microphones under their noses to "tell us how you feel" etc etc

i'm not as eloquent as some on here, and i don't in any way diminish the crime, which was totally dreadful
                                  but if i was inside serving time, i would be grateful for a message from someone to say that they still love me in spite of my wicked act.

Comment

So, David Norris then...

Norris could have simply visited him privately in prison and told him that he 'supports' him though eh?

Do you not think doing it in front of the spectators and TV cameras (because, remember, that is who goal celebrations are really for) is a little bit, to use your word, 'ghoulish' an insensitive?

Anyway, he's apologised and been fined - so that's that.

Comment

So, David Norris then...

shadsworth cloud wrote:
                                      if mccormack has repented for what he did, and is serving his punishment manfully, then it is a bit ghoulish of the BBC/sky news etc to descend on the grieving family and push microphones under their noses to "tell us how you feel"
                                      I'm not sure about the television lot, but it sounded on 5 Live as if Mrs.Peak had rung them to put her point across, rather than them pursuing her for a soundbite. I think she comes across very well, much more reasoned and considered than some of the 'hang em and flog em' brigade who write the headlines to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Comment

Working...
                                      X