My IPod has just died.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My IPod has just died.

I now feel very lacking in music. Granted, I have to delete something every time I put something noew on, but still.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

Having thought about it a bit, I reckon the best solution is to buy a cheap flash mp3 player with a few gigs of storage and a built in mike, then see what comes out over the summer. iPod seems to be my only option storage wise, but it makes no sense buying a new one until the next range comes out. Anyone have any suggestions? I need to be able to plug in a 3.5mm jack and record directly.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

What is happening soon that will supersede the 160GB?

I had a 60GB Creative and never had a problem with it, very easy to use, sounded great (though it looked like a Bulgarian cassette player from the 80's) but as you say, they seem to be concentrating on smaller flash models.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

It'll have been the barbeque that swung it for Villain. Looking at Apple users' forums, it seems sheds and cement mixers work equally well.
          It has behaved itself ever since. Job done.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

"What is happening soon that will supersede the 160GB?"

Hopefully, the 160GB (or more) iPod Touch. When they introduced the touch interface, they only included it on the iPhone and low storage iPods. They've already said they're going to be updating the iPod Touch this year, and it makes sense to expand it to higher storage models. The only question is how far up the scale they choose to go.

I paid a visit to Tottenham Court Road after work and it looks like I'm stuffed. None of the cheap mp3 players can cope with line-in recording, so I'm stuck with a dedicated voice recorder, which aren't as cheap as you'd think, and using my phone for podcasts for a while. There goes my battery life.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

No secondhand options?

Comment

My IPod has just died.

Hmm. iPod Touch has only gone up to 32GB and I'd thought it was restricted by using flash memory. It seems a bit of a leap even to 60 or 80GB.

I'm looking to buy a new mp3 player myself and was tempted by the current 160GB iPod model (I'd need at least 80, I think). Is there anything else I ought to be aware of about the 160GB model, does anyone know? I'd heard the volume limiter is a bit strict, but assume this wouldn't be a problem if using decent or noise cancelling headphones.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

How do you record stuff on an iPod? You need a special iPod microphone for that, don't you?

I have a massive music collection, but I'm very fussy about what I pit on my 80GB iPod, because I can't be bothered to scroll through loads of stuff I'm unlikely to play to get to the Wilco album I do want to play. So my iPod isn't even half-full.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

I had an idea a bit ago that you could have personal image consultants for your ipod, they would go through it and remove everything that's a bit rubbish or that you never listen to, and add you some things that you ought to have because they suit you, etc.
                    Like I can imagine it now, "Ms lyra, no one needs this many lloyd cole albums, when was the last time you listened to the whole of Gotterdammerung all the way through, and why have you got no girls aloud, let us remedy that" etc.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

Pan Tau: yes, you do, but there are lots of third party manufacturers.
                      I have a massive music collection, but I'm very fussy about what I pit on my 80GB iPod, because I can't be bothered to scroll through loads of stuff I'm unlikely to play to get to the Wilco album I do want to play. So my iPod isn't even half-full.
                      I realise I'm in a minority here, but this to go against the whole appeal of mp3 players for me - being able to listen to anything in your music collection whenever you want.

I've decided to go for this voice recorder, which at least nominally can be used for podcasts. Anyone had any experience with the Olympus DS-50?

Comment

My IPod has just died.

I have backed up on CD or DVD and on my external HD. I'd be fucked if a fire burnt down my house, but otherwise I don't like taking chances.
                        You're right Pan Tau. I wonder when online servers are gonna get the space to allow me to remotely backup everything (about half a Terabyte)?

Comment

My IPod has just died.

The headphone jack seems to have disconnected internally, so that I can only get the left channel through my headphones (I thought it was the headphones at fault at first, but some jiggling proved otherwise).

That's all that's wrong with it though. Is there any way to fix it, or am I going to have to buy another one?

Comment

My IPod has just died.

Ms lyra, no one needs this many lloyd cole albums
                            Heresy!

Comment

My IPod has just died.

Lloyd Cole has managed to pack 5 years worth of excellent music into a twenty year career.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

Hmm. iPod Touch has only gone up to 32GB and I'd thought it was restricted by using flash memory. It seems a bit of a leap even to 60 or 80GB.
                                Keep in mind that absolutely nothing Apple does is limited by technology. It's their marketing scheme. The way they market new technology and memory size and 'desirability factor' is nothing short of astounding. To wit, if you go to their online ordering page, the way they step the pricing on iPods with regard to memory is designed so that you upsell yourself to the next unit by saying "Well, for another $XX I can get double the memory, and then for just another $XX, I can get quadruple that. Well, fuck, I may as well just.....etc etc". New technology is priced far above that, while you get less, simply due to the desirability factor (and a few additional features). Touch is a great example of this.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

So I bit the bullet and bought another iPod on Saturday, and already it's dead to me.

By unplugging it from my PC while I was playing a track from the iPod itself, I sent it into meltdown. There's a dreaded "unknown error" message - 1418 - which is all I've got left to show for my £160. Not only that, it blew my fucking amp up while it was at it - so now I have no way at all to listen to music at all.

What do you reckon my chances are of getting a replacement or refund from the Apple shop? Somewhere between 0 and 0, I'd guess. Fucking hell.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

It's within warranty. You shouldn't have any problem.

Here's Apple's support page for the problem, if you want to try to fix it before taking it to the shop, but you might as well just take it and get a new one.

Comment

My IPod has just died.

Based on my own sordid experience (posted at length on the old board), my only advice is to purchase an iPod with whichever credit card gives you extended warranty protection. When mine cacked after 15 months, my MasterCard Purchase Protection extended the warranty to 2 years, which got me a new (albeit rebuilt) iPod (which also died, but in 3 months). The replacement replacement one, knock on wood, is still working almost 2 years later.

Oh, and save every bit of paperwork, including all receipts and your credit card bill. Mine was purchased online, so I could reprint all the documents I needed. Otherwise, I'd have been effed.

Comment

Working...
                                      X