So, Naples then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Naples then

Etienne got there just before me in the Italian city-break thread contest, but no matter.

My girlfriend and I are visiting her brother who's doing TEFL in Naples for a few days. We've got Pompeii, Capri and Vesuvius lined up and I'm sure that the brother knows his way around, but is there anything in particular we should catch? I don't really have much sense yet of the city itself and what the obvious (or non-obvious and really good) things are. My knowledge/received stereotypes about the place are pizza, mafia types, Maradona and scooters driving the wrong way down crowded pavements.

So, Naples then

Don't read the excellent "Gomorra" by Roberto Saviano, recently published in English, until you get back.

Comment

So, Naples then

is there anything in particular we should catch?
      Yes. The ferry to Ischia, the ferry to Procida, the ferry to Positano and the ferry to Amalfi (with a quick bus up the hill to Ravello). All of which are infinitely preferable to hanging out in Naples (and can all be done in a day).

Comment

So, Naples then

There's a thread on this on the old board, too.

The Archeological Museum is one of the best classical museums in the world. The piazza near the Conservatory has some nice cafes/restaurants that are known pretty much only to locals.

If you are pressed for time, consider Herculaneum as an alternative to Pompeii. Consider the tour of "underground Napoli" for something off the beaten track, another similar possibility (though it takes longer) is the boat trip out of the town after Posilipo to see the underwater remains of the original Roman city (though how much you see is highly dependent on the clarity of the water, ad therefore the weather).

Eat. A lot. Especially the mozzarella di buffala. Don't believe the Chinese propaganda.

Comment

So, Naples then

Cheers all.

I've actually now borrowed the Gomorrah book and started reading it on the flight back. It scares me a lot less than just crossing the road did.

We went to Herculaneum and Capri, and just wandered round the city (in daylight). I'm not sure if I'd want to live there but it's a great place to visit. I have never seen such a wide variety of fried foodstuffs.

Commiserations for the election result; I was in the US in November 2004 too, so I'm sure I'm in some way responsible for these things.

Comment

Working...
          X