Brian Clough (A Newbie Asks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will hold back on a more in-deph analysis og Clough due to time restraints, but i'll say this.

The biggest impediment to teams doing a Forest or a Derby under clough is player movement.

In those days, it was easier to keep hold of your star players whereas nowadays the smaller clubs would lose thier best players once they are promoted so they would not have long enough to mould them into a team.

Even the late 80's team suffered from that.
    Webb was sold to Man U, Franz Carr's form suffered when Spurs started sniffing around and Clough refused to sell.

Comment

Yes, good call, terrific late 80s Forest side too.

Comment

I hear what's being said about tactics. And I was certainly overstating for comic effect. But it's well known, I think, that Clough never bothered with "game plans". He was a tactician in the sense that he (and Taylor) developed a way for his teams to play, which they practiced in training. What he didn't do is adapt that for individual games.

Which is fine: no-one says you have to. The English pioneer of adapting the game plan to the opposition was probably Revie, which--well, give me Clough any day.

Comment

Why was Clough never tapped for England manager? Was he too outspoken for the blazers down at the the FA or was it something else?

Comment

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NuxxFy8kIrw&feature=related

Comment

Clough's honest enough to admit himself in that interview why he never got the England job - he basically walked into Lancaster Gate and told them that managing the team wasn't enough, he wanted to be put in charge of the entire game in England, from youth development, coaching methods in schools, the county set-up, to picking which opponents we played in friendlies. He probably even wanted to do the draws for the FA Cup.

He was right, of course (that probably is what any England manager would need to be successful, and he'd need ten years at it, at that) but you can understand the reluctance of an organisation to hire someone who, when asked the question "and what would be the first thing you'd do in the job?" replies "well I'd sack the bloody lot of you, for a start".

Comment

I doubt Clough was as mouthy in the Interview as he made out.
                Like Redknapp and Allardyce in 2006, the FA spoke to him but had no intention of appointing him regardless of how he performed because he had history.

he had proved at Derby and Leeds what a pain in the backside he was and I cannot really see him doing well at England as he would have fallen out with the FA and the top players very quickly.

Comment

I'm just amazed that he ever got another job after what happened at Derby.

Comment

Clough at Derby was bad (as in causing mischief), he did have to go down to division three (coca cola league one)brighton.

He really became persona non grata after his tenure at leeds which showed that he lacked the diplomacy to become successful at a big club.

Forest were not a big club when he joined being at the bottom of Div2. A small desperate club is the type of environment for a cloughie type where chairmen boardrooms and players are prepared to put up with his meglomania and erratic behavior. Big clubs were capaple of achieving success without putting up with his nonsense and his approach would not go down well with star players, especially when Cloughei would be badminding them in the press and as a TV Pundit.

Comment

In EXCITING Brian Clough related news, I have named my new bass amp Brian, as it is an old, big head with a Mackem connection (manufactured in Sunderland).

Comment

The Forest side that won the league was amazing> Shilton in goal was at the peak of his powers and made a massive difference but hey played phenominal pass and move football and often looked like they had one or two extra players on the pitch.

Clough was a master at getting good players to put in great performances and to play at theri peak form for long periods.

If anyone would be capable of breaking a club side into the top four on limited resources it would be clough.

Did anyone who played for him go onto better things elsewhere?

Comment

Roy Keane. Arguably.

Comment

Martin O Neill. Definitely.

Comment

Brian Clough wasnt manufactured in Sunderland. Young Nigel was though.......as was Bob Willis the ex England cricketer surprisingly enough.

Comment

Nathan Tysons Hamstring wrote:
                                ps I think trying to compare Forest with Ipswich is a bit of a stretch.
                                Maybe the Ipswich squad of that era is pushing it slightly - although a small town club qualifying for Europe 10 years out of 11, and winning the UEFA Cup and the FA Cup, and only losing the league through sheer number of games - comparing them to the Ipswich side of the early 60s certainly is.

Nishlord wrote:
                                Gary Newbon said it was nice to be back in Birmingham again.
                                They had an unveiling of a statue of a Derby and Forest legend, and they got a Leicester fan to be the master of ceremonies?

And I am the Life wrote:
                                E10, I included the tackle from behind because its banning put a severe limitation on the number of defenders who could be effective at the top level. Thus making it harder for a club to come up and win the league.
                                It would have limited Clough's late 1980s side, because it limited Des Walker a lot. Suddenly he could use his pace to catch the striker, but not try and tackle from behind, even though he usually got the ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X