Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why don't you call it 'Lettuce Hut', then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ant van Oviedo wrote:
    ad hoc wrote:
    To make a good pasta sauce does take significantly longer than 15 minutes. A couple of hours of slow simmering is about the minimum.
    Oh, come off it. 45 minutes, tops. While you're doing the sofrito of garlic, onions and pepper, you cook the tomatoes with the herbs, bung the lot in together for a while, and...bingo! Doing a sauce with meat requires about 15-20 minutes more. Of course, Carluccio would have you simmer the bugger for 3-4 hours, but he doesn't go out to work every day.
    Or slop in a premade sauce, five minutes simmer, get flamed by OTF for being a philistine.

Comment

Not at all, Eggchaser, I use premade* sauces all the time. It is just that we are talking about cooking at the moment

*I initially thought that this was a culinary term like roulade or tapenade. I am a foodie ponce

Comment

You would never say "To make a good chicken sauce does take significantly longer than 15 minutes. A couple of hours of slow simmering is about the minimum"
        Well, of course I wouldn't. I'm not quite sure of the point.

Comment

Bored, why would you "cook carbonara" at all?

Do you mean sauteeing the pancetta and onion?

Comment

QUOTE:
            You would never say "To make a good chicken sauce does take significantly longer than 15 minutes. A couple of hours of slow simmering is about the minimum"

Well, of course I wouldn't. I'm not quite sure of the point.
            The point is that there is as wide a variety of chicken dishes as there are pasta dishes and you can't generalise cooking times for either.

Bored, why would you "cook carbonara" at all?

Do you mean sauteeing the pancetta and onion?
            Yes. I can see your point. The heat from the pasta cooks the egg, as such, and does sauteeing count as cooking but, equally, you know what I meant.

Comment

Actually, I wasn't sure.

Many American versions of carbonara use ridiculous amounts of cream, which at least needs to be heated, if not "cooked". I'm cheered by your answer.

Comment

I do on occasion a quick sauce, the simple trick is to densify it (can't stand liquid sauces) with a squeeze of tomato concentrate, it is suprisingly good as it happens.

Carbonara only prep is to fry a bit of pancetta, otherwise the other main ingredient, egg, is cracked open on the just boiled pasta (where you leave a tiny bit of liquid). Stir for a minute, add pancetta, lots of black pepper and voila...

Comment

In the restaurant, carbonara was pancetta, grana padano, and cream. No egg at all.

Comment

That restaurant should be burned to the ground for crimes against carbonara...

Comment

Ant van Oviedo wrote:
                      Doing a sauce with meat requires about 15-20 minutes more.
                      Oh me arse. Unless by "meat" you mean "bacon".

Comment

On the other hand...

You need to be shot in the kneecaps if you cook carbonara for more than 10 minutes.
                        You need to be shot in the kneecaps if you cook carbonara at all.

Comment

As I see has already been pointed out.

Comment

I fully support ad hoc's claim.

To make a good pasta sauce does take significantly longer than 15 minutes. A couple of hours of slow simmering is about the minimum.
                            There is at least one pasta sauce of which this is true, so he is entirely correct.

Clearly, there are hundreds, thousands even, of perfectly good recipes of which his claim is entirely and utterly false. But he technically only said there was at least one. Existential quantification, innit.

Comment

1890 wrote:
                              But remember to offset your carbonara footprint...

Comment

This does serve to highlight how dated and crap Pizza Hut as a mainstream brand has become though doesn't it? It seems comparable to Berni Inn or Little Chef to me. PizzaExpress and others have stolen the 'credible' high street pizza/pasta business. Is Pizza Hut too big to go bust? I hope not.

You mess with your name and reputation (such as it is) on the high street at your peril. Possibly it's a stroke of marketing genius or possibly it's a suicidal mistake that damages the company irreparably.

To my mind it's kids that drag their parents to pizza hut...advertising and all that. If the kids think they sell pasta (yuk!) then it won't matter if they do still sell pizzas cos the kids won't wanna go and a slow, painful death follows.

Comment

I've never made a sauce of any kind except to brown some meat to mix in with store-bought sauce. That was how I was raised.

Comment

tratorello wrote:
                                    1890 wrote:
                                    But remember to offset your carbonara footprint...
                                    Is there an OFT prize for the worst pun of the year? If not then there should be.

Comment

Yes. You should bookmark that one for the annual end-of-the-year BOTFA awards.

Comment

Clearly, there are hundreds, thousands even, of perfectly good recipes of which his claim is entirely and utterly false. But he technically only said there was at least one. Existential quantification, innit.
                                        Shut up.

Comment

When you buy a carbonara sauce, you have to warm it up, innit? That's cooking, in my book.

Comment

My suggestion would be not to bother with a carbonara at all. It's not particularly nice anyway.

Comment

I'm not against "store-bought" stuff in general, but red pasta sauces from jars often seem to taste vaguely of stewed tea to me.

And buying carbonara sauce is, I reckon, actually harder than making it, in that you'd have to remember to put it on your Sainsbury's list, then find the right aisle, and so on. Whereas you're probably going to have bacon, eggs, cream and cheese in the fridge anyway, unless you dislike any of those ingredients, in which case my advice is don't eat carbonara at all.

Comment

Oh, that's what carbonara is? Oh. Yeah, I wouldn't eat that. I don't care for "creamy" sauces.

Comment

A real carbonara has no cream at all, Reed.

Comment

you'd have to remember to put it on your Sainsbury's list, then find the right aisle, and so on. Whereas you're probably going to have bacon, eggs, cream and cheese in the fridge anyway
                                                    haha

I don't use a list, almost never have. Krismas shopping, then I'd use a list. for the food and drink, I mean. Otherwise, nahhh.

Cheese, yes. None of the others in my fridge.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X