Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why don't you call it 'Lettuce Hut', then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

of course it does. What it doesn't have is onion.

Comment

Carbonara was invented in Rome and they don't use cream; the only additional liquid is from the egg and sometimes a spoonful of the water the pasta was cooked in (but only if the mixture seems to be dry).

They also don't always use onion, though I find it to be very useful.

Comment

QUOTE:
        QUOTE:
        You would never say "To make a good chicken sauce does take significantly longer than 15 minutes. A couple of hours of slow simmering is about the minimum"

Well, of course I wouldn't. I'm not quite sure of the point.

The point is that there is as wide a variety of chicken dishes as there are pasta dishes and you can't generalise cooking times for either.
        Ah, I forgot that you might not have been round long enough to have witnessed some of the great meat/vegetarian stramashes of OTF history. My response was referencing the fact that I would not be likely to suggest any kind of cooking instructions for chicken.

BTW Point taken about there being many kinds of pasta sauces, and some of them don;t even need to be cooked (pesto is another one that springs to mind). I still think a generic tomato-based sauce ought to be cooked for a lot longer than 15 minutes to really be as good as it can be.

Comment

Yeah, I think you're right. Now that I think back on it, Wyattetta seemed to arrive from Canada armed with this knowledge, which suggests that she may have been a pretty mean cook even then, despite having a pretty narrow repertoire at the time. My own red sauces started looking up straight away when she taught me not to rush them.

And a meat sauce, Christ: a meat sauce is revolutionised if you treat it, effectively, like a stew, and give it a couple of hours on the simmer. Just no comparison at all.

Comment

Carbonara never ever has cream in.

I put onion in but am happy to accept that that is an inauthentic version. Similarly, I put mushrooms in Bolognese

Comment

It's quite nice with cream, even if it's not authentic.

Comment

All this precious snobbery over what makes for an authentic carbonara is bollocks, I reckon (and it does seem to be this dish in particular that always invites this preciousness). If you think it's improved with the addition of cream or onions then do so. I put garlic in mine too, and if they don't do it in Rome than they're missing out.

Comment

"Lettuce hut" sounds uncomfortably like an OTF euphemism.

Comment

bacon, eggs, cream and cheese
                    Without the cream, but with onion or garlic, that sounds like nice omlette, but not something I'd want on pasta.

Comment

PizzaExpress and others have stolen the 'credible' high street pizza/pasta business.
                      Since when did Pizza Hut have the credible high street pizza business, let alone pasta?

To my mind it's kids that drag their parents to pizza hut...advertising and all that.
                      Well, duh. Seems to work for them.

If the kids think they sell pasta (yuk!) then it won't matter if they do still sell pizzas cos the kids won't wanna go and a slow, painful death follows.
                      You might be right, but I suspect the pasta stuff is going to be pitched at the parents, who may be worried about stuffing their kids with fatty pizzas, but think that pasta's healthy by definition.

Comment

My carbonara sauce possesses sincerity, even if it lacks authenticity.

Comment

This advertising idea has really worked, hasn't it?

Comment

Also, what Reed said. I don't get the whole bacon-in-pasta-and-salad love. Bacon's for breakfast, dammit.

Comment

Absolutely not. I work in advertising, and everyone I've ever met assures me that advertising doesn't 'work' on them.

Comment

Well, you've met me, and my position isn't exactly that. It's more that advertising only works on me when I'm not really attending to what I'm doing, which is generally when I don't care all that much about the product.

Comment

We went to Pizza Hut fairly often when I was a kid. It was not the best pizza in town, but it wasn't the worst either and it was economical.

Comment

Well, I know that you can extrapolate but a tiny distance from what goes on on a football-based message board into Society At Large, and there have been some side turninggs, but a four-page thread suggests a certain raising of the brand's profile.

Comment

What I find weird about Pizza Hut pizzas is that for some reason they ruin red wine. I don't know what they put in the sauce, but it makes all red wine taste crap. I think that's a drawback.

Comment

Andy C wrote:
                                        Well, I know that you can extrapolate but a tiny distance from what goes on on a football-based message board into Society At Large, and there have been some side turninggs, but a four-page thread suggests a certain raising of the brand's profile.
                                        3/4 of it is discussion about whether warming a pasta sauce counts as proper cooking though.

I'm curious about whether a Pizza Hut pizza is the same the world over..e.g. is the menu the same? Does a New York Pizza Hut pizza taste and look exactly the same as a London Pizza Hut pizza?

Comment

I was being smartasstic, Andy.

I think it was a brilliant, low-budget idea and one that's sure to work.

Comment

I love it when I search for a term and a really old thread I've never seen comes up. I was looking for something about Olive Garden, which I've never heard of, but I'm guessing serves less than 100pc authentic Italian food. And I searched for it because I wanted to share this tweet.

https://twitter.com/KeatonPatti/status/1006961202998726665?s=19
                                            https://twitter.com/KeatonPatti/stat...998726665?s=19

Comment

You've never heard of Olive Garden? You really must get to the US more often.

Olive Garden is fabulously terrible. We grudgingly eat there once or twice a year, as our kids think it's fine living. Besides obscene amounts of pasta, you get unlimited salad and 'garlic' bread. It's a food factory run by General Mills, they of the Red Lobster chain.

We had them in Canada for a while, but like all US-origin sit-down chains, it went tits-up.

Comment

It probably belongs on that Wimpy thread, but it's quicker to say it here - it's taken me over a year to realise the fact (being neither a big city dweller nor regular shopping mall visitor), but Tim Hortons is in the UK now.

Comment

Indeed it is. I think our semi-Canadian correspondent Thistle has reported on it.

Comment

Semi-Canadian? Ah, fine and undeserved praise.

I went to Olive Garden in New York once and quite liked the bread. I don't remember what else I ate there.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X