Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nine Lessons and Nine Carols for Godless People.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyattetta's and the boy's. The girl's on my side. So we alternate.

Comment

I've never had goose, at Christmas or any other time.

That event sounds lame. Seinfeld already did it with Festivus.

Comment

Seriously - he has it absolutely right. neck and giblets go to make the terrine. Legs for confit and roast the crown. Lots of work, but 4 or 5 fantastic meals to show for it. More if you use the confit to make a big fat cassoulet.

Comment

Goddamn canadians. You'd have thought if anyone understood goose they would.

Comment

Purves Grundy wrote:
            Seriously - he has it absolutely right. neck and giblets go to make the terrine. Legs for confit and roast the crown. Lots of work, but 4 or 5 fantastic meals to show for it. More if you use the confit to make a big fat cassoulet.
            It sounds great. I don't think I'll do it for Christmas, though, because the neck and giblets are earmarked for my gravy. I might just totally buy a goose and try it out, though, not for Christmas at all. Have someone over or something.

Comment

Can't see the point of gravy with goose - doesn't need it. pour off the fat out of the roasting tray and then just deglaze the gunk with a glass or two of a good heafty white wine. drizzle a little of that over and that's all you need - the meat is good and juicy and the veg have all been done in goosefat. Gravy on all that is just gilding the lily.

Comment

So is Dawkins singing, dancing, telling jokes or all three? I suppose it is too much to expect him to be doing a magic show or ventriloquism.I would so like to see him doing ventriloquism. That would be worth the price of admission alone.

I bet they won't even have Daniel Dennett coming on as Santa.

Comment

Purves Grundy wrote:
                  More if you use the confit to make a big fat cassoulet.
                  Why do I have to read a sentence like this somewhere near midnight when I will have hours torturing myself with the idea but unable to do anything about it.

Can someone bump it back up to the top of the thread about noon tomorrow (and suggest a restaurant in central London that can oblige)?

Comment

Goddamn canadians. You'd have thought if anyone understood goose they would.
                    Oi. You're not allowed to eat the ones around here.
                    Lousy Canada Geese, shitting on everything in sight.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                      You're not allowed to eat the ones around here.
                      Why on Earth not?

Over here, they have a reputation for making poor eating, but H F-W says that's bollocks. I think if you have a shotgun license and the farmer's permission (and the latter is easy to get, because farmers hate the bastards), you can blast away to your heart's content.

(Sorry, OTF animal rights persons.)

Comment

Bored Of Discipline wrote:
                        I would so like to see him doing ventriloquism. That would be worth the price of admission alone.
                        "Tell the boys and girls what evolution's like!"

"It's like a Glind Yotchnaker!"

"A what?"

"A Glind Yotchnaker!"

"Oh, a Blind Watchmaker!"

Comment

Comment

The Atheist Bus Campaign launches today thanks to Comment is free readers. Because of your enthusiastic response to the idea of a reassuring God-free advert being used to counter religious advertising, the slogan "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life" could now become an ad campaign on London buses – and leading secularists have jumped on board to help us raise the money.

The British Humanist Association will be administering all donations to the campaign, and Professor Richard Dawkins, bestselling author of The God Delusion, has generously agreed to match all contributions up to a maximum of £5,500, giving us a total of £11,000 if we raise the full amount. This will be enough to fund two sets of atheist adverts on 30 London buses for four weeks.

If the buses hit the road, this will be the UK's first ever atheist advertising campaign. It's an exciting development, which I never expected when I first proposed the idea on Cif in June. Back then, I was just keen to counter the religious ads running on public transport, which featured a URL to a website telling non-Christians they would spend "all eternity in torment in hell", burning in "a lake of fire". When I suggested the atheist counter-slogan (now shortened for readability), the response was extremely positive, and hundreds of you pledged your support after the follow-up article.

As you read this, a new advertising campaign for Alpha Courses is running on London buses. If you attend an Alpha Course, you will again be told that failing to believe in Jesus will condemn you to hell. There's no doubt that advertising can be effective, and religious advertising works particularly well on those who are vulnerable, frightening them into believing. Religious organisations' jobs are made easier because there's no publicly visible counter-view to refute their threats of eternal damnation.

The Atheist Bus Campaign aims to change this. In addition to the slogan, the adverts will feature the URLs of secular, humanist and atheist websites, so that readers can find out more about atheism as a positive and liberating alternative to religion. We've also set up an interactive campaign website and Facebook group, so that questions raised by the adverts can be publicly debated.

CBS Outdoor, the bus advertising company, will run the atheist adverts in January if the funds are raised – but we need your help to make this happen.

Your donations will give atheism a more visible presence in the UK, generate debate, brighten people's day on the way to work, and hopefully encourage more people to come out as atheists. As Richard Dawkins says: "This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think – and thinking is anathema to religion."

To donate to the Atheist Bus Campaign, please visit here.

Comment

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
                              Seinfeld already did it with Festivus.
                              No, I don't think it'll be like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X