The new Dylan Bootleg Series album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got the double album version. I spent the weekend with it. It's brilliant. One of the best in the series.

I love both of the alternative versions of 'Mississippi'. I think the second version would've sat perfectly on 'Time Out Of Mind'. And I LOVE 'red River Shore'. How the fuck did that not make it onto 'Time Out Of Mind'? The alternate versions of 'Born In Time' and 'Series of Dreams' are also amazing.

The one version I don't think works is the alternate 'Most of the Time'. The album version - one of Dylan's greatest ever recordings - pisses all over the version on here.

My big negative comment (and obviously I'm far from the first person to say this) is that the triple album version is a bit of a rip off (£85 vs. £20). I'd love to hear the other versions on disc 3, but I didn't fancy paying the extra dosh. If anyone gets the triple set and doesn't mind burning me a copy of disc 3, I'd be happy to give you something I have that you want, in return...

It's 85 fucking quid? Ouch.

I'd been going to get it this week. Now, I may have to limit myself to the 2-disc version and steal the rest from the internet...

Comment

Yeah,the 3-disc version comes in a fancy box with a special book and loads of other gubbins that'll basically just clog up your house with more stuff you don't really need. Even as a bit of a nerdy completist, I couldn't justify paying the extra 60 quid.

Comment

Just been listening to disc 3 tracks on the internet. The infamous reggae version of 'Mississippi' is great, but not essential. The other version of 'Most Of The Time' is brilliant...but not as good as the swampy, murky album version.

Comment

The fact he could make a song like Red River Shore and not put it on Time Out Of Mind is precisely why I love Bob Dylan so much. Because if he had done so, it would have been exactly what everyone would have expected him to do.

Comment

I'm sure there's been another Dylan thread since this one, but this came up in the Google search.

Damn, 36 CDs: http://pitchfork.com/news/68570-bob-dylan-announces-36-disc-set-of-1966-live-albums-shares-tell-me-momma-listen/

Comment

Hoping that there will be a "best of" or condensed version of that.

Comment

That's pretty much what Live '66 was.

Comment

But that was just one show, right?

Comment

I've got the real Albert Hall one as a proper bootleg.

Comment

Incandenza wrote: But that was just one show, right?
                      Almost. Like a Rolling Stone with the preliminary heckle of "Judas!" and the, just audible, "Play fuckin' loud" to the Band, was from Manchester Free Trade Hall performance. And, to be really anal, the final verse of Desolation Row is from the Liverpool show.

Comment

I have no idea how would get through 36 CDs more than once. But this is clearly made for true fans. I think it's a good idea. Folks who want something shorter would go with the the Bootleg Series releases mentioned above. Interestingly, that CD is also being reissued with album art that matches the 36 CD box. I don't get any sense that this is a new mix; just new art.

Comment

This is similar to the "outakes" bootleg from last year...

"...which at $600 includes every single note recorded by Bob Dylan in the studio in 1965 and 1966, 379 tracks on 18 discs, 180 page hardcover book, the original nine mono 45 RPM singles released during the time period, a leopard skin printed spindle and a strip of film cells from an original print of the 'Don't Look Back' film."

Comment

BTW, on the superdeluxedition site the commentators seems to suggest that this might be an EU (or maybe just UK) effort to extend copyright on these recordings since the copyright laws are more open compared to the US. If this is something you want, jump on it quick since it appears to be a very limited edition release. I dig Dylan but not enough to go for 36 CDs of mostly the same songlists. I'm sure I will regret that choice in 6 months, in the same way that I regret not buying a super cheap Amazon deal of the Dylan Mono CD box set or passing up on a $99USD sale two days ago of the Beatles Mono set. For these so-called classic rock artists that I like but either have covered on CD or get my fill via radio, it's harder to hit the "buy" buttons.

Comment

An interesting piece about Dylan in NYC prepping for the Rolling Thunder Revue:
                              https://www.villagevoice.com/2016/11...ed-downstairs/

Comment

Have to own up to buying the deluxe More Blood More Tracks. Justified it to myself by telling myself it was my favourite Dylan album and it would be a 50th birthday present to myself.

Comment

I'd think that at some point every person who really loves a band is going to shell out for a box set that seems extravagant. As I wrote earlier in the thread, I keep going round and round with the Mono box set even though I already have all of the CDs except one.

By the way, the version of Hard Rain that opens this TV special is really, really good:
                                  https://youtu.be/q0o_0b5abwA

Comment

The chapter on Rolling Thunder in David Yaffe's Reckless Daughter is worth a read. Joni joined halfway through and, IIRC, left before the end. She fiigured the whole affair was misconceived from the beginning, a product of Dylan's naive attempt to re-imagine his Gaslight days.

Comment

I just found this video today, but it was uploaded when the Live 66 set was announced. There are two thrusts to the video, both of which I find interesting: (1) The creation of the sound system (a story that might be of interest to folks who dug the piece that was shared a few years back about the Grateful Dead's sound system). (2) The tapes that were made of each show and what was happening with those recordings/why they sat for so long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLG0T2IeGBY

Comment

A new Rolling Thunder Revue documentary and 14 CD box set. I guess it's good that I didn't buy the previous Bootleg Series set that contained excerpt, although I don't know if I need 14 CDs either. In general, though, this is the lesson for any reissues: if some band member or producer or record exec found something, they found more than they are releasing at the moment so just keep waiting.

https://pitchfork.com/news/martin-sc...-release-date/

Comment

A trailer for the Rolling Thunder Revue documentary:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS4gsWDSn68

And some songs from the forthcoming box set mentioned above:
                                          https://www.npr.org/2019/05/30/72749...ive-recordings

Comment

Watched the Rolling Thunder Revue II doc the other night. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Mainly by the portrayal of the man himself. This is the most animated and energized Dylan I've ever seen. He actually looks happy, friendly and, believe it or not, an all round nice guy! This is evident both offstage and on. The director comes across as resentful and sullen, you get the sense he thought this was going to be his breakthrough moment and it didn't happen, but doesn't do anything too fancy with the onstage camerawork, which is a good thing. For example it contains the only song I've ever seen where Dylan isn't behind a guitar or keyboards, and bugger me, if he isn't a proper front man, he looked like Jim Morrison up there. There's also an intriguing cast of characters, arseholes, arselickers and creatures from planets of their own invention. Foremost in the latter category is the lustrous Scarlet Rivera (AKA Donna Shea,) on violin. TBH I'd forgotten all about her since I saw the Desire tour, she's magnetic. I couldn't take my eyes off her then, or in this film. The body language and eye contact interactions between her and Dylan on stage are worth the price of admission alone. There are some wonderful scenes, like the close up of Jim McGuinn and Dylan dueting on Knockin' on Heaven's Door. You can't tell whether they're going to bite each other out of love or hatred. The arseholes include the writer from Rolling Stone, who looks and sounds like he wandered off the set of Spinal Tap. Everyone loathes him but, once again, Dylan is remarkably cooperative which, considering how he treated journalists in the past is somewhat surprising.

There have always been lots of stories about this tour. It lost scads of money, and it's generally viewed as a massive indulgence on Dylan's part. He clearly enjoyed himself, though based on his present day comments you wouldn't know it. Others didn't, notably Joni Mitchell, who wasn't well received by audiences, and scratched further the sore that already existed between her and Joan Baez. A film I'll certainly re-watch before too long.

Comment

Very much looking forward to that.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                                A new Rolling Thunder Revue documentary and 14 CD box set. I guess it's good that I didn't buy the previous Bootleg Series set that contained excerpt, although I don't know if I need 14 CDs either. In general, though, this is the lesson for any reissues: if some band member or producer or record exec found something, they found more than they are releasing at the moment so just keep waiting.

https://pitchfork.com/news/martin-sc...-release-date/
                                                The vinyl set from 2002 (which had been Bootleg Series Vol 5) has also been reissued and re-promoted as part of this promotion with the 2019 title. I haven't bought it but would be interested to know if the vinyl has a warmer sound than the CD format.

Comment

I'm watching No Direction Home on Netflix and I don't know why I forget how much I love the raw energy when Dylan first went electric. The sound when he played the Newport Folk Festival is so good.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X