Clear All

Tilt-and-shift lens photo book

That's great.

Comment

mafu - Where was that taken?

Comment

I like that, mafu. I usually see tilt-shifts that are from a much higher angle, so having it be a more foreground/background difference is interesting. If I could offer an (unwanted?) suggestion, I think it would look even better if the contrast was boosted a bit.

Inspired by this thread, I did one last night that I need to work on some more, but will post later. It's from a series of photos I took from the top of LA City Hall, and I didn't like how it turned out, but it seemed a good candidate for tilt-shifting.

Comment

cheers

FF - thats in greenwich (london) - the view is from the site of the royal observatory, the building in the foreground is called the Queen's House, then you've got the docklands and canary wharf in the background.

Comment

I've been messing around this evening:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twohundredpercent/2941815477/

But it's only about half-way there.

Comment

Oh yes, and this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twohundredpercent/2941815027

Comment

twohundredpercent wrote:
                Oh yes, and this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twohundredpercent/2941815027
                Really like this one, 200.

Comment

Can't get this to work - I can make things look pretty, but I can't make them look small. I shall soldier on.

Comment

Thanks, Inca.

What software are you using, Taylor?

Comment

The Gimp. I've never found it user-unfriendly, but then I've never tried to do anything that complicated with it.

Comment

Taylor, I did my first one of these with the GIMP, and then when I tried to do one again last night, I followed all the steps correctly, but messed up when using the gradient tool because I didn't have the correct layer selected, so I got to tilt-shift effect at all. Maybe something like that happened when you tried it.

Comment

Just looking through your Flickr stream 200% and I reckon this is by far and away the best tilt-shift you've done:

Amazing.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                            Taylor, I did my first one of these with the GIMP, and then when I tried to do one again last night, I followed all the steps correctly, but messed up when using the gradient tool because I didn't have the correct layer selected, so I got to tilt-shift effect at all. Maybe something like that happened when you tried it.
                            It's more than possible. I once created a full patch for an old Pro Evolution Soccer game, which involved massive re-jigging of almost every texture in the game - but I only know what I know, if you see what I mean. Ask me to use the gradient tool and I transform into a drunk ape. I suspect I'm screwing this up somehow.

Comment

Mafu, that Greenwich one is amazing. My best mate's university (Trinity College of Music) is in the left-hand half of the building in that photo and for a couple of years he lived in a flat just at the top of that park - it's one of my favourite views in all of London.

Comment

Yeah i love it too, i am close by there as well

a couple more, these from the south bank:

I found it's easiest (for me anyway) just to selectively lassoo different areas and then apply different amounts of blur. it comes out about the same but you have a bit more control

Comment

In that last post, Mafu, have you tried the top picture with the basketball court in focus rather than the foregrounded spectators?

Comment

Click to see full size.

Comment

SamLKelly wrote:
                                      In that last post, Mafu, have you tried the top picture with the basketball court in focus rather than the foregrounded spectators?
                                      Exactly what I was thinking.

Remember people, please feel free to add these to the OTF group on Flickr!

Comment

The one I thought of with this:

(click for big)

Never liked the original because of the drab lighting, and it's just kind of a mess. I know this one isn't great, because there isn't really a focal point. But I think it's enhanced with the tilt-shift.

Another one I thought of is also from the top of City Hall, of the 101 freeway:

Comment

These are great. I'd kind of fallen out of love with photoshoppery, and I'd forgotten how relaxing it is. Anyway:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twohundredpercent/2944270113/

CTT: The picture of mine was of models (at the Science Museum, to be precise), but you already knew that, right? I might have a fiddle with those pictures tonight to see if I can do anything with them.

Comment

This thread has reminded me that I meant to mention how good the Slinkachu book is,I bought it a few weeks ago as a gift and found it difficult to hand over.

An example is here ;

Comment

Ah, yeah. Those are awesome. I've seen a series made with Playmobil figures, but I can't remember where it is.

Comment

This guy's stuff is genius - he's combined the tilt/shift thing with time lapse photography...http://www.vimeo.com/keithloutit

Some explaination here - http://www.smh.com.au/news/technolog...351323258.html

Comment

That's fantastic!

Comment

Those are fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X