Tilt-and-shift lens photo book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this should techically be in Books (and I've already referred to it in Football) but it's a sleepy little hamlet and I thought I might get better info here.

There as a book a few years ago with shots of large landscapes shot with the titular bit of equipment that made them look like models or toys as below ;

Does anyone remember it and can recall it's name or the author?
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-10-2018, 16:29.

deleted post

Comment

Don't know about a book, but the Vincent LaForet New York Times slide show featured on this page (along with a number of other examples) may be a lead.

Comment

I too am a fan of tilt-shift.

Here's a book by Olivo Barbieri, who is damn good at it.

This article is where I first read about it.

Comment

Excellent stuff, thanks both of you. CTT, given that the book you link to is very recent, do you know if any of his previous ones were tilt-shift stuff as well?

The image of the baseball stadium in UA's link (which is it?) and the Wembley pic above have inspired me to commision a series of books of tilt-shift photos from inside and outside league and national grounds around the world.

Edit: I have to find a print of this ;
          Today and prehistoric times come together in Mr. Barbieri's ''Stadio Palermo,'' an almost panoramic color view of a soccer game with an audience that has as its background austere tiers of ancient, rocky hills.

Comment

Harry, the baseball stadium is Fenway Park in Boston.

And the print is going to be pricy, as he only did six.

Comment

I hate you all. You have made me want to buy a Medium Format camera again. I was only just looking at a digital SLR, and now you make me want to go and go super retro.

Comment

I think I may save myself a lot of money as that Stadio Palermo shot looks ( at first sight, it's obviously hard to tell with a thumbnail ) one of the less impressive executions of the idea actually. I was on that same site earlier and didn't even notice it.

Comment

I had a similar reaction, and wondered if the NYT critic who praised it doesn't know that similarly framed shots of the Renzo Barbera are absolutely standard here.

The photo you started the thread with is a much stronger example of the technique.

Comment

Tilt-shift on a budget!

Comment

You bastards! Thirty minutes ago, I had never heard of tilt-shift and now I have to buy one of those Lensbabies for my Nikon. I should make you lot pay for it.

Comment

How about we buy any kick-ass photos you take with it?

They have to be kick-ass mind...

Comment

Cor. New tricks.

I'll keep you posted how I get on*.

*Almost certainly not very successfully

Comment

You know, you can fake a tilt-shift. You just need a photo that would work with the effect (taken from up high, some people or other smaller objects alongside bigger objects). You can fake it in Photoshop or GIMP.

I'm by no means great at it, but here's an example. Original photo, from Machu Picchu:

Fake tilt-shift:

You can see it's not a whole lot different, but the softer edges change it.

There's a group on Flickr for fake tilt-shifts.

Comment

Inca - thanks for the bit on faking it, not having an SLR I was getting a bit sad until I saw your post. I've joined that group and when I get the opportunity, I'm going to give that a go. It looks amazing.

Comment

This is literally my second attempt at fake tilt-shift. Constructive criticism welcome.

Comment

I am too much a purist and want to know I did all the silly lens stuff.

And I have always wanted a Medium Format camera. And a digital SLR. And Silly lenses.

Comment

I'm still planning to get the lens, but I remembered taking some photos in Venezuela that I thought would lend themselves to this treatment.

PM for you, btw.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote:
                                      This is literally my second attempt at fake tilt-shift. Constructive criticism welcome.

Not too bad. Though I think the tilt-shift fakes work best when people or cars (basically, smaller objects) are in focus, and the buildings/other big things are the things being blurred, because I think that really emphasizes the scale model-aspect of them.

Comment

Here's the tutorial I used for fake tilt-shifts using the GIMP:

http://gimparoo.blogspot.com/2007/02/fake-tilt-shift.html

Comment

Oh man, I spent yesterday evening playing around with fake t-s stuff. I don't really have any photos suitable for it to hand, but intend to rectify that quicksmart...

Comment

Inca - I saw that tutorial, but I have Paint Shop Pro X and couldn't figure it out using the Gimp/PS instructions.

But I just found this post and will try again later using these instructions.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote:
                                              Inca - I saw that tutorial, but I have Paint Shop Pro X and couldn't figure it out using the Gimp/PS instructions.

But I just found this post and will try again later using these instructions.
                                              That sounds easier than the GIMP stuff. I love that the GIMP is free, but it sure ain't the most user-friendly programs.

Comment

Anthrophotographically speaking this is really interesting. Forty years ago, using similar equipment and techniques, we were all trying to make Subbuteo sets look like Wembley stadium. Making artifice look real has inverted to making the real look artificial. Hmm.

Comment

i did this a year or two back, not quite as full on as some but i was quite happy with it

Comment

Working...
                                                  X