No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Sky, Big Dreams, Big Art: Made in the USA (BBC 4).

Superb from Waldemar Januszczak (as usual):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...es-1-episode-1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...es-1-episode-2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...es-1-episode-3

(those post office murals in the last episode, to die for)

Comment

New season of Arrested Development. Not sure yet. Laffs are definitely on a ratio with drinks taken. Even Michael Cera looks fuckin old now. I hate whodunnits as well, which isn’t helping.

Comment

They're all right. They're short and they're far better than season 4.

Oh, also about 1/2 way through Babylon Berlin. Glad I started it after the school year where I can truly sit back and enjoy it.

Curious to check out THE STAIRCASE, on Netflix.
        Last edited by Cal Alamein; 14-06-2018, 03:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemin-de-fairy View Post
          This isn't really 'watching', but I am currently going through the radio series called "Cabin Pressure". Roger Allam, Stephanie Cole and Benedict Cumberbatch all doing a slightly less camp "The High Life", written by John Finnemore (also in it).

V. funny.
          Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
          It took a while for me to get into it, but once I did, I realised that it's been one of the best things on radio this decade.
          I need to really delve in to ‘Cabin Pressure’ as I’ve found ‘John Finnemore’s Souvenir Programme’ the funniest scripted comedy I’ve heard on radio over the same decade or so. For me, the last sketch show to hit the same heights was ‘Fry & Laurie’.

I saw the live show at the weekend and there were a few ‘Cabin Presssure’ references that went over my head.

Comment

It’s only a passing summer diversion but I’m quite enjoying the new TV version of ‘Get Shorty’ (only very loosely based on the novel and film as far as I recall them).

The main appeal was in the leads, Chris O’ Dowd & Ray Romano, as I’ve always found both of them engaging and they make the transition over from comedy well. The show is a bit formulaic and the pitch must have been “Ray Donovan meets Breaking Bad” but the three episodes I’ve seen so far have carried me along pretty well.

Comment

Is Chris O'Dowd trying on an American accent again, or is he inexplicably Irish a la Bridesmaids?

Comment

He’s explicably Irish, as they reference him coming from there.

Comment

Am learning quite a bit of Welsh in the new BBC4 crime thriller Hidden (in English & Welsh), useful Welsh phrases such as "fuck you", "fuck all", "sorry", "forty years" etc. (same in Welsh). Reminds me of Corsican mixed with Arabic laced with a bit of Russian. Quite pleasant to the ear really.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...es-1-episode-1

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                    They're all right. They're short and they're far better than season 4.

Oh, also about 1/2 way through Babylon Berlin. Glad I started it after the school year where I can truly sit back and enjoy it.

Curious to check out THE STAIRCASE, on Netflix.
                    I've just two episodes (of thirteen) to go with The Staircase. Just as an exercise in documentary film-making it's quite remarkable, as it takes place over more than fifteen years or so. There's much more to it than that though, but I'll wait until I've finished before commenting further.

Comment

Oh, I had assumed that was an Arrested Development spin-off.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                        I need to really delve in to ‘Cabin Pressure’ as I’ve found ‘John Finnemore’s Souvenir Programme’ the funniest scripted comedy I’ve heard on radio over the same decade or so. For me, the last sketch show to hit the same heights was ‘Fry & Laurie’.

I saw the live show at the weekend and there were a few ‘Cabin Presssure’ references that went over my head.
                        Finnemore is a true genius. I'd have loved to get one of the live shows. It's a running joke in our house the number of times I'll say without thinking "There's a John Finnemore sketch about that." Do catch up with Cabin Pressure if you can.

Have you heard any of his 'Double Acts' plays? There's a few on iPlayer at the moment, I think. (Checks.) Yep.

Comment

Yes, one or two, need to catch up with the rest too.

The live show was very good, I’ve seen a recording of ‘Souvenir Programme’ before and wasn’t expecting much more than a longer version of that but they (he had the full cast with him) added a whole lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                            Finnemore is a true genius. I'd have loved to get one of the live shows. It's a running joke in our house the number of times I'll say without thinking "There's a John Finnemore sketch about that." Do catch up with Cabin Pressure if you can.

Have you heard any of his 'Double Acts' plays? There's a few on iPlayer at the moment, I think. (Checks.) Yep.
                            Was there one about a security guard and a receptionist? Think my other half was listening to it in the kitchen the other night.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
                              Was there one about a security guard and a receptionist? Think my other half was listening to it in the kitchen the other night.
                              Yes and it was great. Lovely premise of them meeting briefly each morning and evening as one takes over the building from the other.

I guess it's still on the iPlayer if you're quick.

Comment

'The Split' has become a guilty pleasure. Atrocious plot but Nicola Walker is a mesmerizing actor and I now know I could watch her in any old shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  'The Split' has become a guilty pleasure. Atrocious plot but Nicola Walker is a mesmerizing actor and I now know I could watch her in any old shit.
                                  I remember her in an old ITV post-apocalyptic drama. Think it was called The Last Train. She was a scientist who just happened to be carrying some sort of suspended animation gas when her train was in a tunnel as an asteroid hit. The passengers wake up thirty years later and Britain is in ruins. It was barmy.

Comment

I sat through episode 1 of Cloak and Dagger. I'm not sure, but I will give it a chance.

Comment

Also All or Nothing: New Zealand All Blacks. It's easy to see why they dominate.

Comment

I missed the first half of England Tunisia attending the screening of "Nowhere to Hide" a documentary about a nurse in Jalawla Iraq and his and his family's life between 2012 and 2016 (during which time his town was taken over by ISIS). I could make a joke about which viewing (this or the match) would have been more harrowing, but frankly, I don't have the stomach. Gruesome stuff. Well worth seeing though. It was a genuinely excellent if hard to watch documentary. Think you can watch on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                          I've just two episodes (of thirteen) to go with The Staircase. Just as an exercise in documentary film-making it's quite remarkable, as it takes place over more than fifteen years or so. There's much more to it than that though, but I'll wait until I've finished before commenting further.
                                          Finally finished watching this yesterday. It's difficult to know how much to say without running into spoiler trouble, but I'll try. It concerns a writer named Michael Peterson, who discovers his wife dead and bloodied at the foot of the staircase of their home in Durham NC in 2002. Peterson is immediately arrested and charged with her murder. What follows is a saga that doesn't end for fifteen years. Broadly it's the story of police manipulation, legal corruption and family loyalty. The doc, by a French production team, has been called "The Citizen Kane of TV documentaries," which is a bit excessive, but its thirteen hour running time definitely worth every minute.

Comment

Wife and I just finished the final episode. It is a saga worthy of viewing.

We'd never heard of the case and it certainly got our attention. I've avoided looking up anything regarding the case so as to not spoil the series - now I can dive in.

Comment

I haven't done that yet. I think I'm most interested in the family dynamics — and Peterson's lawyer, who surely did more for the image of the legal profession than anyone since Perry Mason. His adopted daughters were just wonderful, his in-laws utterly hideous. Candace's rant in the last episode almost made me hide behind the sofa.

Comment

Rudolf was a trooper.

Can’t remember his name, but the defense attorney from Making a Murderer was also very impressive.

Any idea how the French crew got wind of the case? Did they query Peterson or did Peterson query them?

Comment

This sounds at least superficially like the Sam Sheppard and Jeffrey McDonald cases.

Is it?

Comment

From what I remember (The Fugitive and Fatal Vision) they both are similar.

All presented very dramatically and leaving many questions to the viewers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X