• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackadder. The Young Ones.

Comment

Parks & Recreation got stronger as it went on

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
        Only one episode of Happy! left in this series. Genuinely laugh out loud funny moments in the penultimate episode this week. I really hope there's a second series--but I hope it isn't disappointing, the way all of the Marvel series twos have been.

I guess if you open with a bang, it's really hard to follow up with an even bigger bang. Can anyone think of a series that had a better second series than its first?
        Black Sails, Vikings, The Crown, are a handful of recent ones that spring to mind. Generally it's a matter of improving significantly, but slowly rather than dramatically. It takes some shows a season or more to bed-in. Seinfeld took three or four seasons before everything clicked, for example.

Comment

Seinfeld, Simpsons, Big Bang, so many others, too. Then they peak for 3 or 4 years and go to shit.

Comment

Fringe.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

I guess if you open with a bang, it's really hard to follow up with an even bigger bang. Can anyone think of a series that had a better second series than its first?
              Lilyhammer.

Comment

We've just started watching Grace and Frankie today which is pretty entertaining but bloody Netflix keeps asking if we want to continue watching after every two or three episodes. Is there a setting somewhere that will stop this annoying thingummy? It's the TV app if that makes a difference.

Comment

You are all correct. I should have limited my question to the live-action comic book/graphic novel adaptation genre.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    Seinfeld, Simpsons, Big Bang, so many others, too. Then they peak for 3 or 4 years and go to shit.
                    I'd dispute Seinfeld went to shit. Bit then I'm one of a handful of people who preferred the shows after Larry David left.

Comment

Originally posted by wiblflibl View Post
                      We've just started watching Grace and Frankie today which is pretty entertaining but bloody Netflix keeps asking if we want to continue watching after every two or three episodes. Is there a setting somewhere that will stop this annoying thingummy? It's the TV app if that makes a difference.
                      Grace & Frankie is pretty good. Coyote is one of my favourite characters.

I don't have an answer to the Netflix issue. My frustration with Netflix is it sometimes just starts the next episode without asking.

Comment

Drag Queen Bingo. Brilliant. Yes indeed we are already on season two - seems we watched ten episodes yesterday!

Mrs Flibl made a good point about how nice it is to see such good roles written for older actors, especially for the female actors.

Comment

Secret Life of Posh Pets. I now know that rich people in the UK are just as insane about their pets as their American counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            I'd dispute Seinfeld went to shit. Bit then I'm one of a handful of people who preferred the shows after Larry David left.
                            No, you're right. "Go to shit" was too strong for Seinfeld. Maybe even BBT. It's gone off the boil, but far from shit.

Anyway, finally watching (and loving) Black Mirror. I was like "Four fucking seasons?" and then realized they're British seasons, meaning 3 or 4 episodes.

Comment

Belatedly watching Turn: Washington's Spies. Not sure if I like it: characters are a bit one-dimensional and there's a rather biased presentation of the history: American goodies v British baddies. Would be better if the goodies were more flawed and did some really bad stuff now and again, not just adultery (which is a fairly obviously plot device).

Comment

It's like you don't get how Americans revere "patriots". They're secular saints. Pure in word, deed and motive.

Comment

Watching Burnistoun on NetFlix. Tomorrow's News Yesterday.

Comment

Like everyone else, we binged The End Of The Fucking World in one evening. Really fantastic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      Belatedly watching Turn: Washington's Spies. Not sure if I like it: characters are a bit one-dimensional and there's a rather biased presentation of the history: American goodies v British baddies. Would be better if the goodies were more flawed and did some really bad stuff now and again, not just adultery (which is a fairly obviously plot device).
                                      It’s fairly historicalwith respect to the Culper Ring.

It gets better. Washington, among others, make some questionable decisions.

But yeah, the Americans (though they didn’t think of themselves as Americans then) are the good guys. ‘Cause they were, fighting a fairly brutal occupation by the army of a merchantilist Empire.

Nevertheless, like I said, Andre is portrayed fairly sympathetically, as is, eventually, Hewlitt.

Arnold is shown to the the self-aggrandizing petty piece of shit he was as is Lee. Peggy Shippen is just kinda tragic.

Comment

I’m watching Britannia. Can’t decide if it’s good, but i’m so interested in the topic, that i’ll stick with it.

Counterpart, with JK Simmons is good. Kind of a similar set-up as Fringe in its later seasons, but more about the characters than the sci-fi premise.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          It's like you don't get how Americans revere "patriots". They're secular saints. Pure in word, deed and motive.
                                          That’s kind of a recent thing, to some extent. Or, at least, it comes and goes. https://allthingsliberty.com/2013/08...an-revolution/

Comment

Counterpart is promising, and I tend to be skeptical about most sci-fi. I really enjoyed Steven Soderbergh's Mosaic, which ran daily on HBO last week. It's had mixed reviews but I thought Sharon Stone's OTT portrayal of an even more OTT character, was choice. And Devin Ratray as the local cop, excellent too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                              That’s kind of a recent thing, to some extent. Or, at least, it comes and goes. https://allthingsliberty.com/2013/08...an-revolution/
                                              A while back, I saw a graphic/animation thingy somewhere that took one through the whole historiography of the Revolutionary War, but I can't find it. So that will have to do.

But there are loads of pages that pop up when one googles "historiography of the Revolutionary War." It's worth understanding how historians' (and regular people's) view of the Revolution has shifted around over time, but I suspect that most people are unaware that historians' view of anything shifts over time. Indeed, as the success of Bill Reilly's book career shows that most people don't understand what proper history is.

Indeed, my first exposure to the word historiography was in AP American History in 11th grade where we covered the historiography of the revolution. Perhaps there's a vein to be mined in the historiography of the historiography of the revolution.

Comment

Counterpart sounds interesting- don’t suppose anyone knows of likely UK take up?

Comment

Almost through Season 3 of Black Mirror. What a great show. I dabbled in the appropriate thread, but I'm worried about seeing a spoiler.

Yay 'San Junipero'. Also 'Shut Up and Dance', which others didn't seem to rate.

Comment

I also like Shut Up And Dance more than most people. Conversely, I didn't care for Playtest, which most people seem to like.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X