No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could have finished it off, but it was more important to finish off the kitchen.

Comment

Two episodes into The Handmaid's Tale. Excellent so far. Peggy popped up already in a cameo like she did in Alias Grace, too.

Comment

Electric Dreams. Anthology of stories based on Philip K Dick stories. I really liked it. Not as good as Black Mirror, but still well worth it.

Comment

Just finished watching the first series of Stranger Things (Netflix). It's like Five Go Down to the Forest meets Alien.

Comment

And I just finished Stranger Things 2 - I think "Five Go Down to the Forest meets Alien" remains a perfect description. Very entertaining. I don't quite understand why people didn't like it. If they were expecting something revolutionary and groundbreaking, they really should have been watching something else.

Meanwhile, I've watched the first 2 episodes of The Crown. I had every intention of hating the shit out of it, and so far it's been very nice about Elizabeth herself, which bothers me. But so far it's actually pretty entertaining.

Comment

I refuse to watch 'The Crown' or anything else about royals. All of this boom in royal dramas ushered in by the 'but it's a human story' of The King's fucking Speech.
              And the crisis of profitability in media: nothing safer than heritage, and nothing safer heritage than the fucking royals.

Just discovered 'Travelers' on Netflix- the pilot episode was good.

Comment

I'm not very interested in modern royals, but I liked The White Queen (about Elizabeth Woodville) and am working on The White Princess (which posits that Elizabeth of York wanted to marry her UNCLE Richard III but got stuck marrying Henry VII and his obnoxious mom. Even though there's lots of character overlap, hardly anyone is reprising their role.

The Tudors were dicks.

Trying to understand all the ins and outs and who is who and whose claim to the thrown is based on what and who had what title when is mindbogglingly hard. Do you all have to memorize that shit for history A levels (or whatever?) It makes my brain hurt. Remembering our presidents and what not is piss compared to that nonsense.

And, as I've said, I'm getting wayyyy into Saxon Britain. I'm caught up on Vikings and The Last Kingdom and am trying to learn everything I can about that time and place. I also want to know more about all the other "barbarians." I'm generally pro-barbarian. I'm also very interested in middle-age and medieval Christianity. That's where everything went wrong. In general, I just identify with people from cold and wet places. That makes me sound racist. It really isn't, though.

I started watching this Netflix thing about Marcus Aurelius and Commodus - it's part drama and part "little clips of various professors repeating essentially the same point" documentary. Basically, Commodus is the quintessential rich psychotic asshole who ruined everything. Not sure I'll keep up with that.

I really wanted to like Black Sails - a show about PIRATES, what could be better? But it was really boring. Very little buckling of swash or adventure on the high seas. Just a lot of talking in port.

Comment

Tonight I'll devour season 4 of Letterkenny.

Comment

I really wanted to like Black Sails - a show about PIRATES, what could be better? But it was really boring. Very little buckling of swash or adventure on the high seas. Just a lot of talking in port.

Avast ye landlubber! Black Sails was marvelous.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                      I refuse to watch 'The Crown' or anything else about royals. All of this boom in royal dramas ushered in by the 'but it's a human story' of The King's fucking Speech.
                      And the crisis of profitability in media: nothing safer than heritage, and nothing safer heritage than the fucking royals.
                      In principle I agree with you. And it's way too nice about Liz and her dad. But so far it's not had me wanting to throw my Big Book Of People Who'd Be Better Heads Of State at the TV.

Comment

Commodus was full of shit.

Comment

Tonight I'll devour season 4 of Letterkenny.
                          There are 4 seasons of Letterkenny? I thought they'd only done 2!
                          Where can I watch this - the first season was only on really dodgy websites. And the rest I can't find.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Avast ye landlubber! Black Sails was marvelous.
                            Really? I couldn't get into it. When were they going to actually do anything on ships?

Comment

On a different subject, why did none of you tell me about "Don't Trust The Bitch in Apartment 23?
                              It's absolutely hilarious. I roared through 5 or 6 eps today.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                There are 4 seasons of Letterkenny? I thought they'd only done 2!
                                Where can I watch this - the first season was only on really dodgy websites. And the rest I can't find.
                                There still seems to be no way to watch it legitimately in the US. Indeed, much of Canada cant' see it either.

Comment

I'm Pirate Bay torrenting the whole series.

Good 'nuff.

Comment

It's on Crave TV here, a small VOD/streaming service. They're financing Letterkenny and, presumably have distribution rights.

Comment

It's on Crave TV here. Poor man's Netflix. We're on a 30-day free trial at the mo'.

Comment

Er...

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                          Really? I couldn't get into it. When were they going to actually do anything on ships?
                                          How far into it have you got? The first season is kinda of lumpy, with a fair amount of gratutious T&A. It really hits it's stride by the second and continues to improve, by then there's lots of shipboard violence. In many ways the conclusion is exceptional. The surviving characters analyse the difference between history and fantasy (fiction) and wonder about their place in it. I've made that sound far less subtle, and more boring, than actually is. I honestly loved the show by the end and often think about it's implications.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                            In principle I agree with you. And it's way too nice about Liz and her dad. But so far it's not had me wanting to throw my Big Book Of People Who'd Be Better Heads Of State at the TV.
                                            Me too. I was reluctant to watch s2 as the first season was too sycophantic all round — particularly towards Churchill. But I got sucked into watching it by La Signora, and it's much better. Perhaps because I remember most of the events happening. But there's an attention to detail that's unusual. For example, photography is one the few areas I have any sort expertise in, and they did a really good job on Lord Snowdrop's practice. In the studio he has a Hasselblad on a tripod, which is never used except as a prop and/or a distraction for the sitter. Meanwhile he photographs with a 35mm Leica that he uses neither for focus or framing. He holds it at chest height and maintains eye-contact with his sitter the whole time. This is, so I understand, exactly how he worked.

Poor old Cecil Beaton — who's used as comparison — comes off less well. I've no doubt he really did use an 8"x10" plate camera, and yell "Flash!" to tell his assistant when to release the shutter, but he didn't work that way all — or even most — of the time. Still, overall, better than the average TV historio-hagiography.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                              How far into it have you got? The first season is kinda of lumpy, with a fair amount of gratutious T&A. It really hits it's stride by the second and continues to improve, by then there's lots of shipboard violence. In many ways the conclusion is exceptional. The surviving characters analyse the difference between history and fantasy (fiction) and wonder about their place in it. I've made that sound far less subtle, and more boring, than actually is. I honestly loved the show by the end and often think about it's implications.
                                              I got about four or five episodes in. Will try to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                It's on Crave TV here. Poor man's Netflix. We're on a 30-day free trial at the mo'.
                                                It's impossible to get Crave here which seems to defeat the purpose of an internet streaming service.

People here want it. It would cost them essentially nothing to provide it. What's the deal?

Comment

No idea. Possibly an FCC/CRTC thing. Contact them and ask.

Comment

More likely that the rights which Crave have are restricted to Canada.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X