No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Mirror’s Matt Damon epsiode was pretty much White Christmas redux in storyline but.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 30-12-2017, 02:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
      Vikings is great, I'm desperately hoping Lagertha survives the current series.

The Last Kingdom is OK but typical of the kind of Netflix series that appears to be assembled from the spare parts of something better. In this case Vikings.
      Nightfall, which I am 3 episodes into, is a bit like that, but not quite as dark, more like a conventional good versus evil set-up, with lots of period stereotypes. The Pope, for example, seems to be a good guy. But the story is good, moves along at a faster pace than GoT, Vikings, etc. Solid British cast.

Comment

Tried to watch Bright on Netflix, but couldn't stay focused on it. Then I remembered that Rachel Maddow was doing a special on the Steele dossier tonight, so I stopped it before the end to watch that instead. 6/10, if I'm being generous.

[spoiler]It felt like a bad mashup of Tolkien, Marvel and Buddy Cop genres with totally predictable dialogue and plot lines. Might have worked better as a series, to give viewers more time to learn the backstory and character development. [/spoiler]

Comment

I agree, I thought "Bright" was okay as a TV movie and showed some promise but felt rushed and would've definitely worked better as a series.

Comment

Rachel Maddow takes so long to get to the point that you wonder if there really is a point, and it's a bit like being in a classroom with a rambling teacher. Yet she heads a great team of researchers and digs deeper than any other show I know; it's just that she labors the presentation IMHO, maybe because she has to fill an hour with only 20 minutes of new information.

Comment

I enjoy the pace of her show. I feel like I've learned a lot from watching it every weeknight, especially since the 2016 election. But admittedly, I'm probably not as smart as some of you are when it comes to politics.

Comment

Narcos S3. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post

Probably will watch Happy Valley next, my mum rated it highly.
                  Superb recommendation from mum, really enjoyed season 1, shall move onto season 2.

Watched Gone Girl last night, like most Fincher films, lasted precisely 20 minutes longer than it needed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    First episode of the latest season of Letterkenny released Christmas Day. It's now attained, what I can only describe, as a kind of televisual poetry that's unique. I've certainly never come across anything comparable anyway.
                    I's just signs up for the CraveTVs, right, to watch the Letterkennys. But I ain't got no supported devices, like. So I's watching her on the computers, eh?

Comment

Well, y'got yer cable TVs too. Pitter patter!

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                        Watched Gone Girl last night, like most Fincher films, lasted precisely 20 minutes longer than it needed to.
                        Agreed. Rosamund Pike was great though and Ben Affleck's vague dislikeability was well used. After the big plot flip (which comes quite early by usual standards) the tone seemed a bit unsteady, as if Fincher wasn't sure how much to play up the black comedy. But not as unsteady as Flight, watched the other night, which was all over the place.

I'm going to record Spiral tonight and start to watch it once we've finished the second series of Witnesses, to avoid Audrey Fleurot overlap.

Comment

God, Avengers: Age Of Ultron is a pompous, dreary bore of a film.

Comment

Yep. Easily the worst of the Marvel franchise, including the utter wankery of Doctor Strange.

Comment

I've been on a run of terrible film. The shocking Lock Stock and King Arthur Of Anarchy Kung Fu, and the chaotically all over the place Downsizing.

And having been stuck on planes, so watched the poor and utterly predictable, but not disastrous The House; started watching a Planet of the Apes film that I had to switch off because it was just shouty fighting; started but couldn't take much of Wilson, with Woody Harrelson just being unpleasant.

And, because it was Christmas, the horrible, godawful, but somehow compelling The Holiday

And the TV was showing the ludicrous Big Game with Samuel L Jackson as the US President shot down in Finland and saved by a young boy who protects him against a team of assassins (how did this get made?)

Last night, the missus got to pick, and we went for some schlocky rom-com. So my expectations were low, and they were matched, by The Mountain Between Us. Kate Winslet and Idris Elba behave like idiots, and do things that have no motivation, and show no compassion or concern for anyone else, while almost dying in a plane crash somewhere in Utah in deep snow. Seriously. It's a shocker. And I'm someone who could sit through The Holiday and not hate myself for it.

Marginally less bad, but not particularly good, films that I saw on planes include: Atomic Blonde, which was kind of fun and retro, but a little exploitative. And Logan Lucky, which was fine, but felt like Soderbergh By Numbers trying to be good like Hell or High Water.

Comment

I finished The Punisher tonight. I still don't know what his superpower is. j/k

I also started Travelers season 2. I had no memory of watching season 1 until I went to it on Netfilx and all of the boxes showed that I had watched every episode. So I watched the last episode again to refresh my memory. I don't think it's a good thing that it was so forgettable, but my friend says that season 2 is better than season 1. We'll see if I remember it in six months or so.

Comment

I've been watching Travelers sporadically on the recommendation of a bunch of people on another forum, and I'm struggling to finish the first season. It's OK, I guess, but so far I feel Continuum did a similar premise better and there's just so much better stuff available to watch. Dark is 10 times more well made. Black Mirror just came out. The Good Place is coming back next week. I'm still working through The Americans. I haven't fininshed Atlanta. Why on earth would I spend my time watching a so-so show? If so many people hadn't recommended it I'd have dropped it after the first episode.
                                  Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 31-12-2017, 11:20.

Comment

I think I'll start watching Dark today.

Comment

Watched the first three episodes of the new Peaky Blinders series. Very good except for Aidan Gillen.

Comment

I'm watching season 3 of Mr. Robot. I've been recording episodes every week, but I never got around to watching them until now.

Comment

Finished Peaky Blinders: the plot is full of holes but the acting and script really hold up.

Comment

Grandpa’s Great Escape was a truly lovely programme.

Comment

This first episode of Black Mirror season 4 is a cracker. I hope the rest of them can live up to it.

Comment

We watched A Ghost Story last night. It's the most interesting and original North American film I've seen in some time. Maybe because it's a directorial feature debut (David Lowery) it quite consciously avoids current clichés and conventions. For example it's almost silent — as in little dialogue — and extremely static. The camera is almost always fixed and there are takes where very little moves for some time. Consequently what sound and motion there is has a heightened and dramatic effect. It's movie that people either love or hate with little middle ground (check out the IMDB comments.) We were both in the first group, which I'm guessing will be a minority. Shame, but it's encouraging that it got made at all in the current cinematic climate.

Comment

I've gone back to the beginning with Peaky Blinders, as I found it too stylised and the anachronistic music (even though it's music I love) irritated me the first time round. Absolutely love it now.

Cillian Murphy's face ... he makes Tom Hardy look like the plain mate, which is quite a feat.

McMafia looks like it's going to be brilliant, first episode was really gripping.

Comment

Ah, but Tom Hardy's character is a brilliant portrayal.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X