X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll give that Frontier a try.

Comment

I’m watching Shetland.
      Netflix is awash in British series - really, there are like 30 of them - about the investigation of brutal crimes in beautiful rural British locations that make me want to move to said location, despite the brutal crime. But Shetland or the other Islands seems like the best option yet. There don’t seem to be many people there. Surely they wouldn’t mind if I just showed up?

Comment

Lots of oil industry work even now there. Comparatively large heliport/airport at Skavsta, Think there is pipeline terminal stuff as well. You’d be far from the only American I’d say. Though I think bits of that show are filmed at Fair Isle (never seen it), halfway between Orkney and Shetland archipelagos. That’s pretty damn wee and stuck on a rock in a rough sea.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 17-12-2017, 01:50.

Comment

We're halfway through the final season of Bloodline now. Love this series. Season 3 is the last, so you can see things wrapping up. It's been a good run, but apparently it's too expensive for the numbers it draws.

Comment

Yeah, that was really good, and another example of a show built around crime and a family with old secrets in an interesting, unique location.

I think they wanted to do four seasons and it’s clear in the third that its ending prematurely, but still good.
            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 17-12-2017, 04:55.

Comment

As previously documented, I love Florida and any show set in Florida. But they're doomed from the outset: off the top of my head; Key West, Maximum Bob, The Finder and Bloodline.

Comment

Anyone watched Dark, the German series? Thought about giving it a try on Netflix.

Comment

Inca: I watched about 15 minutes of the first episode, but I had my laptop open at the same time and found myself missing stuff because of the subtitles. So I decided to postpone watching it until I could give it my undivided attention. A FB friend said that the English dubbed version is not as good, so I'm going to do the subtitles. I have studied German, so it's also nice to hear it spoken--especially with the added benefit of subtitles.

Comment

There's some really good music in Bloodlines.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                      Anyone watched Dark, the German series? Thought about giving it a try on Netflix.
                      I’m finally getting into Stranger Things. I see why it’s such a hit.

I want to try Dark, but German gives me a headache. Really. I studied it just enough that my brain tries to understand it, but it can’t, so it creates tension. Really. I discovered this watching TV in Munich. I don’t have this problem with anything in Japanese or French.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                        Yes, it's very good. Very dense though—concentration is required.

As I mentioned upthread, it's disappointing ARD or ZDF would never produce something like this.

Comment

Amazon sent me a nice letter saying , as I was a Prime customer (I order too many things on the internet) I was automatically eligible to be a Amazon Video Prime thingy viewer included - whoopie I thought.

Ok, It's not bad; but seems a long way off Netflix to me with choice (And believe me Netflix France is not that great).

So avoiding like t'plague the Jezza Clarkson vehicle thing, I have so far peeked at The Tick - ZzZzzzzzzzzzzz.

Will check out Fleabag and American Gods some point as they look interesting; but decided first to tackle Man in the High castle.

I am enjoying it; some great performances; but my wife, who I am convinced thought it was going to be a more violent version of 'ello, ello' is starting to get confused as we see more of the films and who is in them, and the wee Japanese Trade Minister and his transporting chee sticks is really causing issues, as we head into the depths of Series 2.
                          As I said I am liking it more it's getting weirder, I never read the book; but apart from the nuke on Washington, I haven't yet seen a potted "history" of how the war unfolded to have this situation, apart from "they won the war". Perhaps I like details too much; like did Stalingrad , D Day etc happen and they just got to nukes quicker and thus turned it around in 44 -45, or did all the Allies victories never happen? Looks a shit world to live in though, apart from the shiny Concordes. I think they dwell on the SS uniforms too much as well. Bit of a Dad's Army vibe in the opening credits as well. But good stuff really.

Comment

I don't know how it is in France, but Amazon Prime offers tons of good stuff here. And, of course, you can also "rent" titles from them. Like $5, but if you account for inflation and the upgrade in convenience and video quality, that's about what we paid to rent a VHS tape back in the day, I suppose.

Comment

So avoiding like t'plague the Jezza Clarkson vehicle thing, I have so far peeked at The Tick - ZzZzzzzzzzzzzz.

Will check out Fleabag and American Gods some point as they look interesting; but decided first to tackle Man in the High castle.
                              The Tick gets much better after a fairly tame pilot. Fleabag isn't an Amazon original, but it is absolutely fantastic. It has its own thread on here. American Gods I'm not sure about overall, but it's certainly engaging and looks spectacular.

Other Amazon Original recommendations: Comrade Detective, which I wrote about briefly here and is an utterly bonkers concept brilliantly executed; The Patriot, about a fuck-up undercover agent. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel has just been released and looks interesting, but I've yet to start it.

As for non-originals: Parks and Rec and The Americans are both fantastic, but I don't know if they have them in France.

Comment

Amazon doesn't match Netflix in terms of original content, but I think their Prime Video options of other older movies and TV are just as good as what you can find on Netflix. I've introduced my kids to Wallace and Gromit on there, and they have all of the Shaun the Sheep seasons. Plus, in the USA at least, a lot of HBO shows. All of the Wire is on there.

Comment

Sky (aka NowTV in streaming land) has the rights to HBO here.

Amazon is nowhere near as good as Netflix for TV shows over here, though it's getting better. For movies it's a bit of a toss-up. Neither of them are anywhere near as good as Netflix was five years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                    Sky (aka NowTV in streaming land) has the rights to HBO here.

Amazon is nowhere near as good as Netflix for TV shows over here, though it's getting better. For movies it's a bit of a toss-up. Neither of them are anywhere near as good as Netflix was five years ago.
                                    Netflix is way better than it was five years ago. Way more good movie titles and more originals.

Amazon has some good originals and I expect them to keep making good ones as their control of the US economy reaches 100%.

For example, The Marvelous Mrs Maisel/ is fantastic. I highly recommend it. It's about a young affluent Jewish (that's relevant) woman in the late 50s who becomes a stand-up comic just as her marriage is falling apart. The show is also about how stand-up comedians learn to be stand-up comedians, how hard it is/was for women especially, censorship, family, marriage, and Jewish identity in New York at that time. But mostly It's about New York in the 50s/60s which, it occurs to me, is the vision of New York that so many New Yorkers and others are nostalgic for. It was kinda shitty before then and kinda shitty after then and now it's just jumped the shark, but those days of the great department stores, delis, newstands, the Giants and Dodgers, are what New York is "supposed" to be.

The only really "famous" regulars in it are Tony Shalhoub and Alex Borstein, but there are lots of great performances, including the guy who plays Lenny Bruce.

Comment

Netflix is way better than it was five years ago. Way more good movie titles and more originals.
                                      It's way better TV wise, but it definitely has fewer (new) movies. I'm happy with that, as I have a DVD rental subscription for new or obscure movies anyway. But it's still a bit of a bummer that there's no viable one-stop shop for movies, unless you want to pay for each of them.

Comment

I thought the Internet meant I’d have the entirety of cinema from whatever country or era easily available. That’s deifinitely not the Netflix (or anyone else) model. If it’s obscure, dump it. I really fucking miss Laser Independent/world cinema videostore in Dublin. If Netflix could show something maybe me and two other people like to watch, that also happens to be unreleased in Region 2 DVD, like the wonderful Medium Cool, then I’d buy a subscription and not just feel guilty about sometimes using Kodi or whatever.
                                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-12-2017, 21:17.

Comment

I agree. Their back-catalog of movies is poor, I can get as good or better from my cable company's On Demand listings. And, so far as their original productions go Netflix is essentially algorithm programming. If HBO, Showtime or another cable channel has made something successful, they'll produce something similar in its footsteps. Some of the their docs are pretty good — I'm kind of into Wormwood at the moment — and some of their overseas stuff is interesting, mainly because we wouldn't typically get series's from Iceland or Israel, for example. But overall it seems to have flatlined somewhat.

Comment

The Crown on Netflix is really, really good and I say that as a republican.

Comment

Oh yeah and Mindhunters, also on Netflix, about the beginning of offender profiling in the FBI, is terrific.

Comment

Second that about Mindhunters, very good tv.

Just about to have the first spot of Christmas spookiness and watch The Autopsy of Jane Doe.

Comment

Just subscribed to Netflix and currently working my way through The Detectorists, it's as good if not better than the recommendations I've been given.

Just finished watching Micky Flanagan's "Back in the Game", I guess he's the stand-up equivalent of Kasabian, but I really love his stuff, discovered him recently on 4 extra.

Probably will watch Happy Valley next, my mum rated it highly.

On the prime v Netflix debate, I'm new to Netflix, but their movie offering is poor, imo. The TV shows available are far better though. But Prime in the UK really has a wealth of great films hidden away and gets some unexpected new stuff on a regular basis. I watched the 3 colours trilogy over the summer; 400 Blows, Jules and Jim, I am Daniel Blake, Manchester by the Sea amongst others. I'm not a big film watcher,but Prime really gets some gems. Also, if you have Prime, make sure you watch Motzart in the Jungle, it's brilliant.

Comment

Making the most of the free trial month of Netflix. Ozark is a pretty good series, possibly Netflix's version of Breaking Bad.

The Netflix Original "Bright" is utter bollocks. I'd say Will Smith is in it but surely there's no way he needed the money that bad. I'm made of sterner stuff and I reckon I can drink through it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X