No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah here man, Simon Reeve's trip to Ireland is so fucking funny that it completely destroys the credibility of everything that he does. Just watch it. It's all gold. Where did he find this people.

Episode 1

Episode 2 Simon Reeve's utter disbelief at what happens in his own fucking country is so funny. It should have destroyed his career.

Comment

Thor: Ragnarok was terrific tonight. Obviously ripping off Guardians of the Galaxy with the humour but really good fun nonetheless. Jeff Goldblum was fab.

Comment

I heartily second this, and top marks for working in more Norse mythology amongst the space craziness.

The Thor vs Hulk fight was brilliant as a set piece to remind people of how insanely strong and tough both of them are. Nice nod to World War Hulk, too.

Edit: Thor's "I'm back" curb stomping of Hela's mooks, especially the opening shot in slo mo, has really stuck in my mind.
        Last edited by Eggchaser; 29-10-2017, 10:48.

Comment

Very much enjoying Beck on BBC4. More Scandi noir, but with a faintly humorous element. Recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            Yes. I'm liking this too, though fundamentally it's yet another cop/buddy show.

I do think the GF is more than a spurious sexual add on or exposition device. In episode three (which is where I'm at too) for example there's the incident with the nail-file which underlined the acceptance of threat/violence in "healthy" sexual relations. I expect this type of juxtaposition might be explored in later episodes.

One thing that always bugs me slightly in shows that go to great pains with historical veracity is when they get vernacular expression wrong. No one described an attractive person as "hot" in 1971. And nobody said "Can I get an egg salad sandwich?" in a restaurant either. Details perhaps, but they stand out when everything else is so painstaking.
            I thought it was supposed to be 1979.

Comment

Babylon Berlin. The Germans have finally invested enough cash to make a respectable tv series.

Comment

Although there are too many historical reconstructions, the new Channel 5 series about Rome looks interesting. Eight Days That Made Rome with Bettany Hughes. The first episode was Scipio Africanus the Elder sticking it to what Spike Milligan described as Hannibal and his hairies.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                  I thought it was supposed to be 1979.
                  You're right it's not '71 (don't know where I got that from). It doesn't seem as late as '79 though. Post-Hoover but pre-punk.
                  Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 29-10-2017, 19:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                    Although there are too many historical reconstructions, the new Channel 5 series about Rome looks interesting. Eight Days That Made Rome with Bettany Hughes. The first episode was Scipio Africanus the Elder sticking it to what Spike Milligan described as Hannibal and his hairies.
                    Oooh that sounds great!
                    I love a bit of 2nd Punic Wars me.
                    We can't get Channel 5 on anything like an iPlayer here, so will have to look at a VPN as I doubt anybody will be bothered to post a torrent on this.

Comment

Stranger Things season 2.
                      Fantastic stuff.

Comment

Ray Donovan. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                          ah here man, Simon Reeve's trip to Ireland is so fucking funny that it completely destroys the credibility of everything that he does. Just watch it. It's all gold. Where did he find this people.

Episode 1

Episode 2 Simon Reeve's utter disbelief at what happens in his own fucking country is so funny. It should have destroyed his career.
                          This is completely true. Watching his recent jaunt round Russia, I couldn't still the inner voice that kept whispering, "Yes, but remember...Ireland."

I'm quite enjoying Snowfall so far (4 episodes in), without making any extravagant claims to greatness on its behalf.

Comment

Totally hearting Stranger Things 2, STD and still have a soft spot for The Orville;
                            Of course Blue Planet 2 is wonderful eye candy.

I finished Ozark a few weeks back - I really enjoyed it - OK generic clichés around rednecks and cartels; but kinda wonderful, liked last couple of episodes especially.

I hope this present glut finishes and I can stop screen staring.

Comment

Watched Ghosted last night on ITV2. That guy from Parks & Rec and that guy from Brooklyn Nine Nine are recruited from obscurity by the Undercover Bureau to investigate weird goings on. It was alright. Might watch it again.

Comment

I got into Bake Off this year and was quite pleased that the baker I've said should win for several weeks actually went on and won.

Comment

Agh! No more episodes of The Good Place until January!!!

Comment

PICKLE RIIICK!! I’m loving Rick and Morty. Probably too much juvenile for a fucker in his forties. Fuck it, it’s a fine cartoon.

Comment

Finished Stranger Things 2 - really very good, some quite wonderful things, hair styling tips, and base bat with nails in twirling - pity about the Lost Boys tangent - but top dog, this is peak Netflix.

The good lady, is starting to watch Riverdale, which I sort of quit very early on; but it's better than most things so....started to watch again.

My thoughts , although sumptuously filmed, and trying to be a glossy/DisneyTwin Peaks meets Peyton Place, generally i- all the parents are arseholes, it's easy to see which is a Veronica or a Betty, as they are called that, it's like a soap reunion - Barb is there as Ethel., Shelley from Twin Peaks is there and really, really mean, Luke Perry is there without Jason Priestly, and some woman from Desperate Housewives which I never watched so couldn't tell you who, but the programme is OK really.

On the Betty or Veronica standard trope - Which as a Brit I only picked up from it's use in Clueless - Betty for me.

However , the only Archies thing I remember from the original is that song .......As someone who recalls (and loved at the time, I was only 9) 6 weeks of Sugar Sugar being the UK N° 1 it has some nostalgia....most of which I would rather not remember.

Comment

I've finally cleared enough of my Netflix/Amazon Prime backlog to have a proper crack at The Americans. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Also, if you fancy a bit of ethical philosophy comedy, The Good Place is really fun.

Comment

Originally posted by VTTBoscombe View Post
                                          However , the only Archies thing I remember from the original is that song .......As someone who recalls (and loved at the time, I was only 9) 6 weeks of Sugar Sugar being the UK N° 1 it has some nostalgia....most of which I would rather not remember.
                                          8 weeks at Number One, at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                            I heartily second this, and top marks for working in more Norse mythology amongst the space craziness.

The Thor vs Hulk fight was brilliant as a set piece to remind people of how insanely strong and tough both of them are. Nice nod to World War Hulk, too.

Edit: Thor's "I'm back" curb stomping of Hela's mooks, especially the opening shot in slo mo, has really stuck in my mind.
                                            Yeah, really good. By far the best of the Thor-specific films. Funny, and yet carries some gravitas and moves the overall Avengers/GOTG story along a bit.

Cate Blanchett is a great villain and made me fancy her even though she's the goddess of death. All the costumes and CGI looked amazing on the big screen in HD. It's remarkable how much better the CGI of the Hulk has gotten since that first effort at a Hulk film by Ang Li.

And the actress who plays Valkyrie, Tessa Thompson, is quietly becoming a pretty big star after her excellent job in Creed and on Westworld. I can't figure out if she's English or American, which is the sign of a good actor. She's a good addition to the Avengers-verse.

IIRC, the guy who did the voice of the rock guy is the director. I was wondering how they decided that guy needed a New Zealand accent, but it worked perfectly. I assume it was filmed there too.

And they used Immigrant Song a lot, which of course is a good fit for songs about Norse gods. Perhaps they just wanted to show off that they can afford to pay the remaining members of Led Zeppelin a shit load of money for the rights.

Comment

LINK CONTAINS SPOILERS: Thor and his magic patu: notes on a very Māori Marvel movie

I only went to see it because Waititi was the director and it really is much more his film than other Marvel films have felt like their directors. It was filmed in Australia.

"When filming for Thor was scheduled in Australia, he lobbied Marvel Studios to include support for a group of Aboriginal filmmakers to follow the production on set, making sure that that his work gave back to the people of the land in which he was a guest. Furthermore, he made sure the production acknowledged the Yugambeh people, the indigenous mob of the Gold Coast, who gave a ‘welcome to country’, the equivalent of pōwhiri."

Comment

If you're going to pay for a Led Zeppelin song you may as well use it twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

Also, if you fancy a bit of ethical philosophy comedy, The Good Place is really fun.
                                                  How far through are you? (This is relevant)

Comment

Oh my god! Riverdale, another Soap/Teen angst rave from the grave just turned up (shows how far behind I am) - Archie's Mum - Miss Pretty In pink/Sixteen Candles herself - Molly Ringwald. I wonder if she'll make Archie's prom outfit.

If this was a Bingo card it would be almost full.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X