Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Watching

I don't want any spoilers, but can you tell me: is Neil Patrick Harris in it again? He's on one of the posters, but I just want to be sure.
    Yes, rest assured, he is. I won't say any more.

Comment

Current Watching

Anyway last night I saw The Other Boleyn Girl. It's really quite good. For what it is, I mean, a soap opera about Mary and Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII. It had allthe necessary frocks, fab hair, gorgeous headdresses, ornaments, jewellery, bosoms, etc, and the direction and photography I liked a lot. The dialogue and theatrics were very silly, of course, but the main hook of the plot - the relationship between the sisters - worked very well.

Best line...

Mary: "But I love him."
      Anne: "Well, perhaps you should stop."
      We've *all* been there.

Comment

Current Watching

I have just downloaded the Singing Detective. It is along with Berlin Alexanderplatz among those classic European TV series that I have been plannig to watch for a long time.

Other series further down that list are Brideshead Revisited, the Danish epic Matador and the recent Russian TV dramatisation of Master and Margarita.

Comment

Current Watching

Dexter - The scenes with Micheal C Hall are superb and enough to keep me tuning in. It falls down when it throws in sub-plots about peripheral characters though. Last week there was a storyline about one of his colleagues wanting to buy a gift for his wife, which seemed pretty pointless. More killer, less filler please.
          [/quote]
          That's partly cos the novel it's based on (which is entirely from the pov of Dexter) is actually quite short by modern standards, and they are filling like mad

Comment

Current Watching

I don't really get Dexter, but I watched them all out of sequence and it was a bit infuriating. I like Darla as his girlfriend but really I think it could have been a LOT better.

Comment

Current Watching

Lyra wrote:
              I don't want any spoilers, but can you tell me: is Neil Patrick Harris in it again? He's on one of the posters, but I just want to be sure.
              Yes, rest assured, he is. I won't say any more.
              Sweet. I was at the theaters to see a different movie (can't remember which now), when I saw the poster last year and I've been waiting for it ever since:

Comment

Current Watching

Haha I hadn't seen that before. Hahaha. That's pretty good.

Comment

Current Watching

Does anyone know if there's a way to stream iPlayer video to an Xbox 360, with or without using Transcode 360? Does Media Center play iPlayer downloads?

Comment

Current Watching

Nope, sorry.

Just recently re-watched Amadeus again. cracking stuff.

Comment

Current Watching

Some Robot Chicken for Hobbes (and Lyra)

Comment

Current Watching

Dexter relies heavily on its story arc, so watching them out of order is suicide. I thought it was terrific, supporting characters and all. Doakes is particularly good in the second half of series one - from what I've read about series two (which is as little as I can), he becomes a main character.

Comment

Current Watching

So I just finished 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days. It fits with other recent Palme D'Or winners; depressing European realism, simple story, complex background. I liked the constant use of running taps, water, etc.

Comment

Current Watching

I've only tried the BBC media player thing once, to watch a programme about Munich. Is it really good as everybody seems to think it is?

Yes. No downloading or anything required, just select your programme and click play. Its introduction has been very timely since my VCR has just called it quits.

Comment

Current Watching

I am currently watching the last episode of Ashes to Ashes.

Comment

Current Watching

I have just been watching the last episode of Mitchell and Web which, whilst being as patchy as ever, included a sketch featuring possibly the most accurate portrayal of a smug, self-righteous Liverpool supporter (the kind I've had to share far too many offices with) I've ever seen.

Comment

Current Watching

Yeah, I saw that. Football (which I presume they both hate) seems to be one of those things that Mitchell & Webb seem to be able hit square on the head.

Comment

Current Watching

He Kills Coppers (from Jake Arnott's book) on ITV tonight was brilliant.

I think that's the first time I've used the words brilliant and ITV in a sentence is a decade.

Comment

Current Watching

DVDs

See How They Run 2002 (Embrassez qui vous voudrez)

Interesting, but quite over the top in its portrayal of intertwined cross-generational disfunctional relationships. Good cast though, especially the women (Carole Bouquet, Charlotte Rampling, Karin Viard)

Waking Life

Enjoyed that one, as a fan of Linkleter. The medium (animation based on film) is interesting and lends itself well to the narrative theme and dreamlike tone.

Mr and Mrs Smith the 1941 Hitchcock flick, not the silly one with Brad Pitt. Robert Montgomery and Carole Lombard in a very unusual Hitch, along the lines of a classic vintage American comedy. Very entertaining.

Together Swedish movie that's a bit similar to Elementary Particles (Elementarteilchen) in its critical view of the impact of baby boomer hippy lifestyle on families and offsprings, but very different approaches. The Swedish approach is realistically plain, the German one overly dramatic (SPOILER -could you possibly conceive a more dramatic death for Christiane?-)

Big screen:

Fritz Lang's Metropolis, with live piano accompanist. It's quite a treat to have discovered that classic in the right conditions.

Buster Keaton's College, and General, also with live accompanist. College was with the Octuor de France, a top flight chamber ensemble on tour. Very playful score, with ukelele, whistling and barber shop bits meshed with some more traditional bits and instruments like the french horn, oboe and viola. I can't recall enjoying a movie that much in a theater.

Anita O'Day: Life of a Jazz Singer Great new documentary on the life and craft of this immensely talented and interesting American singer.
                                      http://anitaoday.com/documentary.html

Michael Clayton Fairly entertaining, good cast (esp Tilda Swinton) but the storyline is a bit over the top. The kind of movie that would be good to watch in a year or two on a chinese website.

And a bunch of movies on such sites, including Juno, Darjeeling Express, Squid and the Whale, and a few other White People current and future classics.

Comment

Current Watching

Has anyone watched 9th Company ("Russia's Full Metal Jacket")? I recorded it the other week and haven't got round to it yet. From the snippets it looks like a paint-by-numbers mix of Full Metal Jacket (training brutality) and Rambo, First Blood Part 2 (the simple-minded characterisation of screaming mujahideen hordes) but with the novelty factor of Russian tanks and helicopters thrown in.

Comment

Current Watching

Has anyone watched 9th Company ("Russia's Full Metal Jacket")?

It's on telly tonight. Don't ask me where or when, but i dimly remember a still of it in the Guardian guide which I was gazing blurrily at over breakfast

Comment

Current Watching

I watched Der Untergang (Downfall) a few weeks ago. I assume a lot of you have already watched it, but if not, I seriously recommend you do.

Another film I watched recently is Good Bye Lenin. Another subtitled German film, about a Communist woman who wakes up in post-wall Berlin, while those closest to her try to shield her from the truth.

Is it obvious i'm learning German?

Comment

Current Watching

Is Good Bye Lenin any good? I bought it about two years ago and still haven't got round to watching it.

Downfall is excellent.

Comment

Current Watching

Yes it it. I downloaded it with a torrent originally, but enjoyed it so much that I bough the DVD legit.

Both funny and touching in parts, I recommend it anyway.

Comment

Current Watching

Good Bye Lenin is GREAT. Really good.

If you're learning German - how about Requiem (fantastic performances, about the same story that inspired The Exorcism of Emily Rose), or Sehnsucht (I really liked this because it was about how ordinary, ugly people have deep grand emotions too, which I think is rarer than it sounds).

Comment

Current Watching

Put me down as another fan of Good Bye Lenin.

Obvious German film but worth mentioning as often as possible is The Lives of Others.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X