Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Watching

Human Resources is one of my favourite films.

Comment

Current Watching

Gave a whizz to "Sons of Anarchy", the new biker gang saga from the US yesterday. Interesting, quite brutal and the absolute star of the show is the wife of the gang leader and mother to the vice-leader, Lady Macbeth in leather.

I'll stick with it for the time being.

Comment

Current Watching

axel wrote:
        Current reading about soaps most bizaare moments
        Forgotten how mental some of these primetime programmes can be

[url=http://[/url]http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/tv/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=16580708]http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/tv/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=16580708
        Jonathan Harvey (Beautiful Thing) is one of several writers currently serving up some truly camp and loopy Coronation Street scripts.

Tonight's was a corker ... Mary the Comper Queen trying to seduce Norris the newsagent in her motorhome (parked outside the Rovers), with kiwi bellinis and Sheena Easton.

Other things I'm currently watching apart from BBC music docs .. Mad Men, The Apprentice and Ashes to Ashes.

Comment

Current Watching

Lyra, you have great taste.

Is Anybody There?
          Small film from John Crowley featuring Michael Caine and the boy from Son of Rambow. The two actors are superb together. Dementia and death are explored without simple platitudes. No answers are present here but the film doesn't shy away from asking questions about life, death and regrets.

With Intermission, Boy A and now this John Crowley is shaping up to be a director of note.

Comment

Current Watching

I'm going to see two Antonionis in 35mm this week, The Passenger and Zabriskie Point. I haven't seen the former. I do like Antonioni a lot.

Tomorrow night I'm watching Melville's "Le Cercle Rouge" on the big screen, classic French noir.

Best film I saw last month: "Les Plages d'Agnès", a new auto-biographical memoir from Agnès Varda, very whimsical and beautiful self-portrait.

Comment

Current Watching

That last ten minutes or so of 'The Passenger' is something else.

(Can't remember much about the rest of the film, I must admit).

Comment

Current Watching

Are you thinking about Zabriskie's last 10 min erwin, the psychedelic scene with the Floyd soundtrack, or does the Passenger also have something like that? Pasolini's Teorema also had that disconnected late segment with blownout psychedelic landscape allegoric scenes.

Comment

Current Watching

I've just watched the new DVD about Brian Clough. Strangely enough it's called Clough. What a wonderful DVD. At times when he and Don Revie are interviewed together Cloughie comes across as a naughty schoolboy. What a great bloke.

Comment

Current Watching

It's been ages! I can't remember everything. But, a few.

Home which opens in London on Friday. It's so good. Isabelle Huppert & Olivier Gourmet and their dysfunctional but loving family have lived near a half-finished motorway for years. Then they finally open the motorway...

Wonderful Town Kind of typical in that it's a sweet low key melancholy Thai film about sad lonely people finding love. The setting's interesting, a Thai beach town a few years post-tsunami. Lovely mood piece anyway.

Cloud 9 Old people have sex too!!!!

Thick as Thieves Also entirely typical, slick fun twisty heist thriller with Morgan Freeman, Antonio Banderas and the gorgeous Rahda Mitchell

Millennium The first film of the Stieg Larsson trilogy, so, the adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It was great! I have read the book, but I still found it gripping and the performances were great.

Star Trek Eh it was very very pretty. I forget the rest of it.

Terminator Salvation I must have banged on about this on a dedicated thread. I loved it, anyway. It's great.

He's Just Not That Into You The book speaks the truth. The film is fun and kind of speaks the truth and made me cry at the end with all the happy endings.

The Castle More sweetness - it's funny, sure, and it's about you know, ordinary people taking on the System, and it's too simple to be really actually about that, but it's so sweet to see a film about families that love each other and like being with each other. The family in Home are kind of similar.

Harry Potter and the wossname I haven't read the book, and I enjoyed this quite a bit, I thought it was well made, interestingly edited, entertaining, etc. The suckiest bit was that the kids were all snogging each other all the way through but actually it would have been much better if the adults had, like, Helena Bonham Carter ought to have been seducing Alan Rickman, etc. Hey, my husband had dinner with Alan Rickman and Isabelle Huppert last night. Weird combination eh.

also been watching a bit of TV. Damages, Lie to Me, Numb3rs. I like dramas that put a spin on a particular kind of forensics, and the latter two make a good combination with my long term favourite show Bones. Going also to start that new show Defying Gravity later.

Comment

Current Watching

Watchmen

All over the shop adaptation, but with magnificent bits in it and only the slightest feeling of it dragging a tad. Good performances and a great one from Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach. Superb production with a sense of wanting to be something wildly different, but not wholly achieving it, but better to go the whole hog and give it a try. There's a great movie in there somewhere.

Comment

Current Watching

Not so much 'current watching' as 'would like to be current watching' - the new Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli animated feature Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (or simply 'Ponyo' for Western audiences, who can't be trusted to read all the way to the end of a long title) may, or may not have just been released in the UK, possibly in cinemas and possibly on DVD, according to which of the many movie websites I've consulted. Dates range from August 3rd just gone, to sometime next year. Has anyone actually seen in playing anywhere in this country? Or found the DVD (dubbed or subtitled) available online?

Comment

Current Watching

PM for Mumpo.

Comment

Current Watching

Good performances and a great one from Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach.

I initially read that as "a great one from Jackie Healy-Rae as Rorschach".

Comment

Current Watching

Je Veux Voir. Documentary. Catherine Deneuve goes to Beirut for an event, but she wants to see more of the country, and learn more about the people, so a Lebanese actor agrees to drive her to the south, and to see the village he's from. It's quiet and beautiful and moving.

Otherwise I have just been watching all the fabulous new telly. New series of my favourite shows like Bones and Castle and Dollhouse and Fringe and the Office and so on. it takes ages just to keep up with telly. I really need to start going to the pictures again. I haven't even seen District 9.

Comment

Current Watching

'The Hurt Locker'. Tense and harrowing.

Fantastic.

Comment

Current Watching

After 25 years (...) I finally caught 'The Right Stuff' last night. Lovely film. Great actors!

Comment

Current Watching

Oh dear. I'm about 5 minutes into The Firm (Nick
                                    Love, 2009) and it's terrible. Betracksuited people keep growling 'I'm gonna cut you up you slaaag' and 'don't facking bring the Old Bill wiv yer'. And it's the 80s, so we've had Tainted Love and Kool & the Gang already.

Comment

Current Watching

(So what was the final verdict, Lyra?)

Comment

Current Watching

I haven't got very far yet - another job came in and it's got an earlier deadline. I don't imagine it's going to improve thought. People keep calling the coppers "gavvers". oh and they're discussing who got off with which bird and this character Trigger, he shagged that Lorraine from out the flats the other night. "Was she any good?" asks Bex. "Naaah," says Trig. "Lovely face but she 'ad a splosh like a kebab." "Doner?" asks the dimwit, J, stood next to him. "Naah, Lorraine."

Splosh? I think Love made the slang up as he went along.

West Ham v Millwall has been done in films before. Green Street. Probably others.

Comment

Current Watching

Just as an aside, I'm not too keen on football films with a hoolie aspect to them as that seems to be the only predictable angle from which the subject of footie is seen - if anything, the whole gamut of human fandom is much like any other drama, with the same human impulses, flaws and emotions, it's just that the participants wear football shirts and go to games. To be honest, that some producers and directors only see the drama of football support as a violent backdrop full of brainless cunts who like to shove a crowbar in someone's face, tells you more about their cheap humanity and cynical huckstering than portrayals of any tracksuited fuckwit with a knife in any supposed 'firm'. And why does it always have to be in cockernee, wotcher, leave-it-out, you slaaag London?

And then Knowing which almost challenges Martyrs for the 'worst film I have seen this year'. What a gigantic bag of shit, honestly. Loathsome right from the start, as so many films of this kind of subgenre seem to be - mawkish, vile. I think I prefer the cloyingly sentimental Deep Impact and even the staggeringly boring Last Night to this heap of drivelling nonsense.

It's not entirely a bag of obscenity, but it is a pile of shite that asks for a suspension of disbelief larger than a cruise liner. Spoilers ahoy (if you're bothered), but the aliens take all those kids with the whisper-filled heads to an Eden-like planet, but they don't mind leaving the one who got the story going in the 1950's in the shit to cope with mental problems, and the dates on that piece of paper seem to be created to give Nicolas Cage something to be worried about than be any integral part of the story. And, like The Day The Earth Stood Still remake, and I Am Legend, just what is it with Hollywood's obssession with having a parent with a dead husband/wife having to look after a snotty kid?

Comment

Current Watching

I just watched a bunch of extras for The Firm. It was a bit terrible. Nick Love is going, 'If this is not good then it's impossible to make a film about football'. He means football violence, and men and gangs and so one, anyway, no one in the film gives a monkey's about actual football and nor does the film. He may be right but not for the reason he thinks. There was a lot of stuff about getting fight scenes right and hiring extras who really are in firms and so on. I'm not sure I totally buy it, but the authentic thing was obviously very important for them, and there was sterling work on '80s sportswear and trainers, at least. Nick Love is really annoying though, with his 'I fuckin' decided to shoot this this fuckin' way cos I fuckin' love Sergio Tacchini, fuckin' fuckin' fuckin'' nonsense. I don't know why I've typed so much about this film.

Thirst
                                            Park Chan-wook makes a vampire film. How can it not work? And yet it's a bit dull and kind of boring. Which is terrible. It's just forgettable. From someone known for his style, this is a sad thing. (I haven't read Therese Raquin, unsurprisingly)

The Addiction
                                            More 80s formal style weirdness from Ferrara. The B&W works very well on a film that's all about blood drenched maniacs, and the oddness and stilted story works. It makes sense as a film.

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle I love Harold & Kumar. There's enough entertainment and warmth here to overcome the crudity. I've seen H&K Escape from Guantanamo Bay about 35 times so I thought it was about time I caught up with the original. I hate that I fancy NPH.

And then a huge stack of TV because I have no life. The current series of Bones, Castle, Lie to Me and Californication are all terrific. The Office and 30 Rock and Curb and Sunny in Philly are solid. Mercy and Trauma are both enough to hold the attention. V and Flashforward and Dollhouse have their own threads. Just starting on Parks & Recreation now, seems pretty funny so far. I've also been watching the terrible The Forgotten even though it's preposterous and none of the characters are interesting and it stars Christian Slater.

Comment

Current Watching

Thirst
                                              Park Chan-wook makes a vampire film. How can it not work? And yet it's a bit dull and kind of boring. Which is terrible. It's just forgettable. From someone known for his style, this is a sad thing. (I haven't read Therese Raquin, unsurprisingly)
                                              Bummer. I was really looking forward to it.

Comment

Current Watching

It was what I did for Halloween as well. Should have gone to see Zombieland.

It's not worthless or anything, but, yeah. A disappointment, I'm afraid.

Comment

Current Watching

There are a few nice visuals and some splendidly grotesque skin diseases. Oh and mah jong, which is always a plus.

Comment

Current Watching

Have you seen Kung Fu Mah Jong? It's one of those cheap Hong Kong knock-off films, this time based on Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer, but set in the world of professional mah jong. It even features the actors who played the married couple in that film in basically the same roles. It's bad, but in a quite amusing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X