No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes sense. Wiki reveals Crave is owned by Bell Media, who also own The Comedy Network (where Letterkenny also plays.) Apparently The Comedy Network used to have a deal with Comedy Central in the US for sharing each others shows. Linking to The Comedy Network from a US IP address would take you to Comedy Central — and vice-versa in Canada. But Comedy Central has changed that arrangement and now places many of its shows with MuchMusic here, leaving Bell Media without an exchange partner. I'm guessing they'll find a buyer for Letterkenny sooner rather than later, it's too hot to ignore right now and Bell Media has just ordered another forty shows.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      More likely that the rights which Crave have are restricted to Canada.
      I get that, but I don't understand why these massive conglomerates can't find a way to make these smaller, yet profitable, deals. Especially now that online overcomes the limited time-slot issue of yesteryear.
      It seems like they're just leaving money on the table.

It would crush on Netflix or Amazon Video. Netflix has shows in Danish that draw an audience.

I can see why Comedy Central would be unsure if American audiences would take to a show specifically about Canada (as opposed to the millions made in Canada but pretending to be the US). I'm sure it will do well once it builds up an audience, but they might be trying to figure out a good lead-in combo. And, like all networks, they prefer stuff that they own. Last I check, CC is owned by Viacom.

Is MuchMusic part of Bell?

Comment

Apparently, yes. How many Canadian made shows do you generally get? According to IMDB Letterkenny's first season has been shown in Germany. I'm not sure how much would get lost in translation...
        Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 17-01-2018, 00:22.

Comment

I'm not sure the total number, but tons of shows - especially the ones on SyFy - are made in Vancouver. In fact, a lot of the same character actors appear over and over in those shows and yet I don't see them on anything else. I know Suits is made in Toronto (pretending to be Manhattan) and there are a few others. Fargo is made near Calgary, as I recall, partly for the cost, but also, I suspect, because the nights are longer and, maybe the snow is more reliable. Not sure about that.

There are also a few Canada-specific shows that wind-up on Netflix, like Intelligence and other stuff with Matt Freuer.

Comment

Yeah, I meant shows that are explicitly made for Canadian audiences, not just produced in Hollywood North for the world market. So far as comedy goes, I guess Trailer Park Boys broke internationally, but did Corner Gas, or Red Green?

Comment

Corner Gas was sharp in the early years. Never took much to Red Green. Can't muster the urge to try Kim's Convenience, but Little Mosque on The Prairie had its moments. Newsroom with Ken Finkleman was excellent, but that was a long time ago.

Comment

It was, and going back even further the wondrous SCTV.

BTW, based on the four episodes I've seen so far, this season of Letterkenny is the best yet. The talent show especially is totally ace.

Comment

Am watching the full set of Jeeves and wooster. It's kind of bizarre to think that over the 25 years, hugh Laurie would at one point be the main star of the biggest show in American, and World television, he would win numerous awards along the lines of Sexiest Man in the world, make more money than he could imagine, and that his blues album would hit no.2 in the UK charts, but still and all, he could never come close to touching his performance as Bertie Wooster. He's just perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    Corner Gas was sharp in the early years. Never took much to Red Green. Can't muster the urge to try Kim's Convenience, but Little Mosque on The Prairie had its moments. Newsroom with Ken Finkleman was excellent, but that was a long time ago.
                    I don't think we get Corner Gas, but it sounds familiar. Maybe it's on Netflix. Red Green used to be on PBS, as I recall. Kind of a niche interest, as I recall. I didn't get it.
                    I've heard of Kim's Convenience and Little Mosque, but I don't know if it's because they're on Netflix or if I saw ads for them on HNIC or TSN during NHL games I saw on the season pass. I haven't seen them.
                    Don't know Ken Finkleman.

Schitt's Creek is on Netflix or Amazon, I think. Not sure if that was originally for Canadian TV or it just has a lot of Canadians. I haven't watched too much of that, but what I've seen is great. Katherine O'Hara ought to be on Canadian money.

I've seen old SCTV clips but don't remember it being on.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      It was, and going back even further the wondrous SCTV.

BTW, based on the four episodes I've seen so far, this season of Letterkenny is the best yet. The talent show especially is totally ace.
                      I've only seen the highlights, including...

Well how hard have you actually worked if you've never blown your nose on your shirt?

I really like the hockey-players dialect. Ferda.
                      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 17-01-2018, 18:20.

Comment

Yeah, Schitt's Creek is a CBC production. Eugene Levy (and his son I think) is the other SCTV alum involved, as well as Catherine O'Hara. I've never watched it TBH.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          I've only seen the highlights, including...

Well how hard have you actually worked if you've never blown your nose on your shirt?
                          Did they include the owner of MoDeans II doing her monologue from Gladiator, or, correctly, "Glad He Ate Her?"

Comment

Yeah, Schitt's Creek is a CBC production. Eugene Levy (and his son I think) is the other SCTV alum involved, as well as Catherine O'Hara. I've never watched it TBH.
                            It gets on my nerves, but mainly because I don't much like Levy, O'Hara or Levy's kid. Other than that...

Comment

Did they include the owner of MoDeans II doing her monologue from Gladiator, or, correctly, "Glad He Ate Her?"
                              Part of it.

I enjoyed the whole discussion of ants riding Sea-Doos.

Comment

Also recently watched and loved the whole 10 episodes of Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix. Drew Barrymore's very good as a mid-life zombie who finds that being dead has massively upped her sex drive. Okay, I'm not doing to much to sell this, but it has one of those scripts so fast and sharp that you know it'll be worth watching again to catch the stuff you missed first time while laughing.

Comment

I really liked that too. I expect there will be a season 2 but I don't know when.

Comment

Pretty sure they confirmed renewal a while back. If you need more convincing, Olyphant!

Comment

I'm really enjoying this surge in shows about the dark ages. Apparently, there's going to be one with Kelly Reilly about Romano-Britain around 45 AD. Though not much is really known about the religion and culture of the Britons, so I expect it to get a bit woo. Which is fine.

Speaking of British history, I've recently learned that there's a UK version of Drunk History. I haven't been able to see Drunk History UK. I don't know many of the actors and comedians doing it, but it's still just as good as the US version, which means it's outstanding.

The main differences is that the the UK one keeps more careful track of how much they drank. And in the US one, the narrator interacts with Derek Waters, the creator.

I think the best one is the one about Wellington and Waterloo and him arguing with his girlfriend.
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTAndvLljjE

Also, the one about Shelly & Byron
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rawk6jsILQ
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcwpHw_Oa0

The US one has become popular enough to attract some well-known people.
                                      Like Lin-Manuel Miranda on Hamilton
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZNH...HGk0fv&index=2

And this one about Brooks Caning Sumner is great for the performances and because it's a bonkers story
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-AU5zgyUYQ

Winona Ryder as Peggy Shippen
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLfckzsa5Cc
                                      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 18-01-2018, 01:20.

Comment

Have you watched Norsemen? I haven't as I assume it's probably a typically Neflixian knock off of Vikings, but I might be wrong.

Comment

Have you watched Norsemen? I haven't as I assume it's probably a typically Neflixian knock off of Vikings, but I might be wrong.
                                          I haven't yet. I got the impression that it's not in English. I watch shows on my Kindle Fire, which is hard to do with subtitles.

Comment

Ah, I'll take a look in that case. I wonder if it's Scandinavian? The guy who plays Floki is — or was — the only leading actor in Vikings who's from that region, he's also the only one with any significant acting cred. I saw an interview where he reckoned most of the cast and production crew know more about Nordic history than he does, apparently it's not taught much in Swedish schools.

Edit: I've checked IMDB, and it's Norwegian, and apparently a parody of Vikings. Or there's as much humour as violence at any rate.
                                            Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 18-01-2018, 02:34.

Comment

ITV are showing a US sitcom called Superstores at an episode per night. I've been watching them on catch up. It's got America Ferreira in and a guy who was in another sitcom I watched that got cancelled. It's quite funny and has a few pointed jibes about hyper Christians in the workplace and why big box stores are embodiments of corporate evil.

Comment

Also recently watched and loved the whole 10 episodes of Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix.
                                                The thing I loved about the show (well one of the things) is the way it's just slightly overacted by the cast. So it has the hyper-real feel of a late 60s sitcom like I Dream of Jeannie or Bewitched or something.
                                                Olyphant especially seems to be channelling his inner Dick York.

Comment

Query "slightly"

Comment

Ah, I'll take a look in that case. I wonder if it's Scandinavian? The guy who plays Floki is — or was — the only leading actor in Vikings who's from that region, he's also the only one with any significant acting cred. I saw an interview where he reckoned most of the cast and production crew know more about Nordic history than he does, apparently it's not taught much in Swedish schools.

Edit: I've checked IMDB, and it's Norwegian, and apparently a parody of Vikings. Or there's as much humour as violence at any rate.
                                                    I'll take a look at that.

A lot of the cast of Vikings are Scandinavian - an increasing number it seems - but not so much of the main cast.

I assume that Scandinavian school history focuses on the modern history of their countries in the same way ours does. We don't spend a lot of time on either pre-Columbian American civilizations or on European history pre-1500.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X