Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    Roma (on Netflix) but will go to the cinema to see it again.

masterpiece.
    Just watched it. It's absolutely superb. The filming and photography alone are breathtaking (I need to see it at a cinema now but not sure how that is going to happen). It's quite possibly the most beautiful film I've ever seen. And the humanity of it.

It's one of those films that there's no way to describe it which is going to make it sound like something you must see, but really... You must.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
      The Waco: Madman or Messiah? doc shown in two parts on BBC4 this week was both fascinating and sobering.
      Watched both last night and completely agree with that Benjm. Just amazed at what people will subject their children to in the name of religion, esp those who happily gave their underage daughters to sleep with Koresh.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Just watched it. It's absolutely superb. The filming and photography alone are breathtaking (I need to see it at a cinema now but not sure how that is going to happen). It's quite possibly the most beautiful film I've ever seen. And the humanity of it.

It's one of those films that there's no way to describe it which is going to make it sound like something you must see, but really... You must.
        Just finished this. Yes, definitely must see. But more than that, must watch. Mrs WOM was watching/not watching while she was knitting, and I think you're only really rewarded for paying attention. This film's God is in the details, and there are a million details. It manages to be both big and small at once, and tells about a dozen different stories. Just lovely all around.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
          Watched both last night and completely agree with that Benjm. Just amazed at what people will subject their children to in the name of religion, esp those who happily gave their underage daughters to sleep with Koresh.
          It was scary how many of the survivors didn't seem to have lost their faith in Koresh even at this remove. A reflection of how much of themselves they had invested into the group, I suppose. The FBI guy with the buzz cut was quite a piece of work; he seemed as unrepentant over what happened as the most hardcore Davidians.

Comment

Saw Bird Box this evening. It was very well done but I hate films like that. Oddly I don't minding reading stories like this one (Blindness, Day of the Triffids, the Road) but I don't enjoy watching them. It's just a bit intense.

(my daughter wanted to watch it having heard about it so I went along in a family bonding thing)

Comment

The bird box challenge shit is about the worst use of teh internets I’ve seen in a while. Fucking people.

Comment

Really enjoyed the Ballad of Buster Scruggs too. Also on Netflix.

Comment

I went to the cinema to see Mary, Queen of Scots. It’s pretty good as these things go. Good performances. Definitely a feminist take, as is appropriate, I think.

A very different portrayal of Elizabeth than the Caten Blanchett films, for example. She’s much more anxious and conflicted in this, which is probably more historical. The reviews make a lot out of the sex, but that seems to fit with the actual story.

It would have worked better as a miniseries because it ends up glossing over the second half of the story - whether Mary really conspired against Elizabeth or not and how Mary’s son James left her out to dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                    Coming to Killing Eve from Fleabag, my main complaint was it was too much drama and not enough comedy.
                    Watching episode 6 now and I agree with this already. It's also annoying that what little comedy there is is weak and juvenile. Don't get me wrong though, I'm enjoying it, but there's no way I could binge this in one sitting.

I don't know if it's the character or the actress, but something about Eve/Sandra doesn't always ring true in the sense of 'what would someone in that situation in real life say or do?'. Is it just me?

Comment

Well, none of it is realistic/naturalistic, but I didn't find that to be a particular problem. I've also been watching another espionage show, The Patriot, on Amazon and the same complaint could be levelled at that, and I think it's amazing.

Comment

I think it's the awkwardness of the character--the way she reacts to things as a detective would (vs an intelligence officer). It stopped being annoying after I realized that. I will watch The Patriot soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                          Really enjoyed the Ballad of Buster Scruggs too. Also on Netflix.
                          Yes! Fantastic watching.

Comment

Have we done Bodyguard already? We're three eps in of the six, but are quite enjoying it. We're suckers for Brit crime / police stuff: Luther, Broadchurch, The Fall, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              Yes! Fantastic watching.
                              I stopped watching when it appeared they were going to shoot the dog.

Comment

Keep watching...hint hint

Comment

I watched Vice at the cinema yesterday. The first half is very entertaining (although who knows how truthful), but the stretch from the start of the Iraq War onwards just tells us what we already knew, drags on, and seems way too kind about George W.

You can see the thread that connects the Big Short through to it, but it's not half as good.

Comment

Heads up to anyone (like me) who missed the Voyager Storyville. It's only available until 1am on Wednesday morning - get it while you can. That's my viewing tonight right there!
                                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...tellar-journey

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                      I watched Vice at the cinema yesterday. The first half is very entertaining (although who knows how truthful), but the stretch from the start of the Iraq War onwards just tells us what we already knew, drags on, and seems way too kind about George W.

You can see the thread that connects the Big Short through to it, but it's not half as good.
                                      That's what I was afraid of. I wonder if it would just make me feel angry all over again.

Comment

Finished Series 1 of The Man In The High Castle.

Mini spoilers below line (I don't know how to format them)

It gets a bit melodramatic in places (the love triangle is a little OTT and the escapes from, say, the Yakuza, are improbable) but the set-ups are stunning and the performances by the whole cast are amazing. I infer that there are parallel universes going on here but how this relates to the film is still unclear.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                                          Keep watching...hint hint
                                          Ok, I will.

Comment

Watched the 1st two episodes of Les Miserablés (BBC iplayer) last night. Couldn’t stand the musical, so put it off. But it’s very good “Sunday Night” tv melodrama.

Comment

Some people were actually complaining that there were no songs in this adaptation. Probably the same people who were complaining that the latest version of Poirot was an abomination and a load of lefty propaganda and the same people who complain that you can't even have golliwogs any more.
                                              Personally I think a tale of misery, exploitation, oppression and death is best when it isn't being sung in jolly rhyming couplets.

Comment

I can recommend (drama) The Vanishing with Gerard Butler and Peter Mullan (who is almost always brilliant).
                                                "Three lighthouse keepers on the remote Flannan Isles find a hidden trunk of gold, leading to their mysterious disappearance."

It's gloomy, great acting, no overly Hollywood twists to it, just a story about a handful of people. Almost like a play in a theater.
                                                When the way a movie is made – with everyone involved - can actually give you the feeling of how it would be to be there in that weather, with those people, on that high island and in those rooms, someone’s done something right.

Don’t expect to be overwhelmed or blown away. Expect to be not at all disappointed you watched it.
                                                For some reason it made me think of Lars von Trier’s Breaking the Waves and Jane Campion’s The Piano.

Comment

I caught up with Les Miserables this week, coming to it without knowing the musical or the novel.

Episode 2, in particular, certainly does what it says on the packet.

Comment

I'm looking forward to catching up with the new adaptation but the musical is a bloody stormer and the songs & lyrics are anything but "jolly".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X