A bottom-bottom wata-wata in Lake Titicaca
    Teams
    Atlético Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca Pan flutes FC
    Biscuit
    Buñuelos Arequipeños
    Actor
    Gisela Ponce de León
    Quote Originally Posted by caja-dglh View Post
    The Marvelous Mrs Mazel (Amazon) was probably the highlight of my holiday break. Properly excited for the second season.
    Have just checked it out, sounds interesting, will look out for the box set when it comes out.

I watched Frida last night (with Salma Hayek* as Frida Kahlo and Alfred Molina as Diego Rivera) for the first time, what a superb film, I heartily recommend it.

(*wife of F-H Pinault, owner of the Stade Rennais in Ligue 1. Can sometimes be seen at Roazhon Park, or Stade de la Route de Lorient for the purists, not slumming it out in the old Populaires with the hoi polloi of course but comfortably ensconced in some VIP hospitality box where things are a little too staid for her liking, she talks about her Stade Rennais experience in this clip, she hams it up a bit but it's funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqjmVQLKW58)

We are Groot
    Teams
    Shrewsbury Town, Wales, Cardiff Devils
    Biscuit
    Choc and Hazelnut Boasters
    Actor
    Bradley Cooper voicing Rocket Raccoon
    I went to watch Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle tonight. It was well made fluff but had some cleverer lines then you'd expect. Even Jack Black wasn't annoying.

not local
    Teams
    Dundee Utd, Gladbach, Atleti, Napoli
    I saw Jumanji, too and would agree- clever, quite funny, entertaining. And it's not generally my cup of tea, we just had to get away from the sales crowds.

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    Have just checked it out, sounds interesting, will look out for the box set when it comes out.
    Do Amazon do box sets?

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    I thought that was all they sold.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Teams
    Penn State, Cincinnati Reds, State College Spikes
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    Quote Originally Posted by ursus arctos View Post
    The whole show is shot here, either on location or on a sound stage in Queens.

Both the Village and the Upper West Side have changed a lot, but there are still places that haven't changed.

Their apartment, for instance, is up the street from us, and the entrance and lobby haven't changed a bit.
    I can't imagine how much their place would go for today.

It’s fair to say I’m a far-flung Farfán fan
    Teams
    Biscuit
    Buñuelos Arequipeños
    Actor
    Gisela Ponce de León
    Looking forward to the first instalment of Great Art tonight on ITV, will probably record it as I'm off to bed in 10 minutes.

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week1/great-art

Don't worry, it'll soon be over
    Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Klaus Kinski (if he was alive, like)
    They should be working on a 21st Century version of Ways of Seeing instead of yet another slice of Great Masters wankery.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Teams
    Penn State, Cincinnati Reds, State College Spikes
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    Quote Originally Posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Are all the units that big? That's huge.

They were originally, but many of them have been subdivided.

If you click on Past Sales or the floorplans, you can get an idea of the current layout.

"Friend of Mr. T"
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes
    I started watching The Good Place this week. It's a silly sitcom in the same vein as Parks and Rec, and pretty much anything Tina Fey has ever been a part of. I'm not sure that she has anything to do with this one, but it sure feels that way. 22-minute episodes mean you can binge the lot in a single sitting.

Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    The Good Place has a lot of fans here (not sure, it might even have its own thread.) Second half of the current season starts tonight.

"Friend of Mr. T"
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes
    Cool. I'm about halfway through the first season.

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    It's definitely my favourite sitcom currently airing.

If you can't say anything nice...
    Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    The Crown has an episode on the Kennedys that might not go down well in the US. Also has an allegation that Mrs Simpson (Edward VIII spouse not Marge) slept with Ribbentrop and Edward was even more of a Nazi than I had assumed.

Claire Foy is again totally stunning. Olivia Colman takes over in Series 3 and has a tough assignment to match Foy's embodiment of the character. We will also presumably get depictions of all the Prime Ministers from Wilson to Thatcher in Colman's series, then Diana will take centre stage and the controversy over the Queen's reaction to her death will be a key strand of the last series they do.

A bastion of rightness in a wrong old world.
    Teams
    Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cake
    I have watched over the last few days:-

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - a decent romp, nicely diverting.
    The Dark Tower - A horrible mess of a film that kind of missed the point.
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - I liked this a lot. But then I love Luc Besson's insane bombast. Total eye candy of course. (The first scene between Valerian and Laureline was a bit unpleasant and sort of coloured the film a bit I thought, but that aside, top notch.
    The Neon Demon - Oooooh...kay... I'm too dumb for this sort of film these days. I'd have loved it when I was 17 though. Some good lines.
    Hidden Figures - historically about as accurate as U571, but a nice bit of work none-the-less. And it's always worth having it brought home that legally sanctioned segregation still occurred in some places in the US only a decade before I was born.
    Last edited by hobbes; 05-01-2018 at 13:19.

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    I'm not a fan of Besson, but I'm probably going to rent Valerian just to see how it looks on the new telly.

Live every fucking day
    Teams
    Liverpool, Doncaster Rovers, Ireland
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cake (HMRC know best)
    Actor
    Dan Ackroyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    The Crown has an episode on the Kennedys that might not go down well in the US. Also has an allegation that Mrs Simpson (Edward VIII spouse not Marge) slept with Ribbentrop and Edward was even more of a Nazi than I had assumed.

Claire Foy is again totally stunning. Olivia Colman takes over in Series 3 and has a tough assignment to match Foy's embodiment of the character. We will also presumably get depictions of all the Prime Ministers from Wilson to Thatcher in Colman's series, then Diana will take centre stage and the controversy over the Queen's reaction to her death will be a key strand of the last series they do.
    I'd add the specificity of the ballerina and the inclusion of Phillip to the Profumo affair as another area where the writers took a controversial approach.

Are they going to go in strict chronological order? I wouldn't be at all surprised if they skipped quickly through the late sixties and early seventies to get to Diana sooner. I can't see them waiting until the last series for that. I would have thought they will want to get to Kate Middleton at least.

The second season still looked exquisite and both Foy and Smith are excellent. It did suffer in comparison to the first in terms of dramatic engagement. Season 1 had World War II, Elizabeth taking the thrown and finding her feet, the Margaret romance, and Churchill as a significant character. Season 2 had a much more episode driven narrative rather than an overall arc. The non royal characters were not developed enough on screen to be as effective as a counterweight to the royals. If season 3 is to continue on at the same chronological pace I can see American audiences (who are presumably the commercial drivers of the show) becoming bored.

I wonder if they will maintain the production standards for the following seasons. The huge budget was just for the first two seasons. It will have an impact for me if the attention to set and costumes is lessened.

"Friend of Mr. T"
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes
    I recorded the new X-Files the other day and I'm now watching it. O.M.G., it is unbelievably unwatchable. And I say that as a long time die hard X-Files fan. It's like Gillian Anderson has forgotten how to be Scully. Or even how to be an actress. The story line is so tired and so many other shows have done it so much better. I think they left it too long to come back, and they're trying to do crazy conspiracy stories when we're actually living in real life crazy.

I don't like it. Let the record show that I made it 34 minutes in, although most of that was also spent on the internet and only half paying attention. So disappointing.

A bastion of rightness in a wrong old world.
    Teams
    Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cake
    Is that the new x-files from last year or is there another one?
    Because last year's horse-flog was horrible so i wouldn't expect any other new ones to be better.

"Friend of Mr. T"
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes
    It's new--season 11. A quick google reveals that I am not alone in my diagnosis.

It’s fair to say I’m a far-flung Farfán fan
    Teams
    Biscuit
    Buñuelos Arequipeños
    Actor
    Gisela Ponce de León
    Quote Originally Posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    They should be working on a 21st Century version of Ways of Seeing instead of yet another slice of Great Masters wankery.
    I never get tired of Great Masters wankery when it’s done well but I know what you mean.

Haven’t found the time to watch Great Art yet, got a big backlog of stuff to watch, never mind, 20-odd days left on the ITV iplayer so plenty of time to see if it passes my muster. If it doesn’t, I probably won’t bother with the rest of the series.

Had never heard of Ways of Seeing so thanks for that. I googled it, sounds fascinating and I’d love to be able to watch the series one day. The excellent Waldemar Januszczak has incorporated the approach you’re advocating (and rightly so) into his art programmes, as have a few others (Andrew Graham-Dixon springs to mind, and possibly Brian Sewell too if memory serves).

I love being given useful pointers on how to look at and interpret paintings. One of my favourite modules at university (I studied English in France) was American painting in 3rd year, it focused more on analysing a painting (and giving us the right lexicon to do so, it was a language degree after all) than on the painters themselves. I was so in love with that module that I almost wanted to keep flunking it so I could repeat it over and again. It’s obviously great too to learn about the life of artists as it often nurtures their work and thus facilitates and enhances the viewing experience so much, eg Frida (on Friday Kahlo) that I mentioned in my penultimate post, that's a good case in point.

Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Had never heard of Ways of Seeing so thanks for that. I googled it, sounds fascinating and I’d love to be able to watch the series one day.

Sadly it doesn't seem to be available anywhere except as poor resolution copies on Youtube, which TBH is something of a surprise as the accompanying book is still in print. I still use the pixelated TV version in my Visual Communication class. The first episode is very much based on Walter Benjamin's work (who Berger credits) and remains an excellent précis of his ideas. The fourth, and last episode, is the only one that — for me — has dated badly. It's primarily on advertising (or as Berger insists on calling it, "publicity.") His early 70s Marxist belief that it's based entirely on envy needs to be stacked up against more contemporary analyses. Thanks for the tip on Waldemar Januszczak, I will certainly check him out.

If you can't say anything nice...
    Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    I show the Ways of Seeing episode on nudes in my classes and it still has power.