Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m watching The Expanse again.

I tried to watch Roma. It’s on Netflix, but it’s in some theaters so it’s being considered for an Oscar. There’s a lot of talk about “guilty pleasure” movies but not much talk about the films we’re guilty about not wanting to watch. I think this is one of those. If blockbuster summer movies are like eating candy, this is like eating raw kale.

It’s in black and white (and I don’t understand why), in Spanish, over two-hours long, slow-moving, and it’s about class-relations in Mexico (Mexico City, I think) in the early 70s. Not really my wheelhouse.

I’ve watched about a half hour of it and may finish it, but I think I got the point, and don’t want to chew the kale any more. It is extremely well-made and acted, but I can already tell that it’s just going to be one heartbreaking tragedy after another. Not sure I want to spend another hour and 45 minutes of that just to say I saw it. And I’m very afraid the dog is going to get hurt. I can’t deal with that.

I’d rather watch The Expanse again and I’m secure enough in myself to admit that.

Comment

I'm down with that, HP. Films should be entertaining and fun. Worthy films that are designed to "MAKE YOU THINK" I've no time for. I'd rather read a book about Oscar Schindler than ever watch Schindler's List for example,
      Anyway nowt wrong with the Expanse. It's glorious telly.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
        I notice that s3 is back this week.
        Ooh thanks for the tip off. I hadn't seen that.

They're starring showing it in E4 over here so I expect a lot more people will see it now.

Comment

I got up to the Spiral Series 6 finale last night and my Fire stick froze in the last 15 minutes. I tried rebooting about 6 times and had to leave it. Merde merde MERDE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
            I tried rebooting about 6 times and had to leave it.
            Putain!

<blows cheeks out, shrugs, steals valuable evidence, gets away with it...again>

Comment

I started Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix last night and was very pleasantly surprised to see Missy (Doctor Who) and Jeff Murdoch (Coupling). I already knew that Sally Draper was in it before I started watching it, so she wasn't a surprise. I wanted to binge more of it, but it was already 3am and I didn't want to end up sleeping all day today.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                I'm down with that, HP. Films should be entertaining and fun. Worthy films that are designed to "MAKE YOU THINK" I've no time for. I'd rather read a book about Oscar Schindler than ever watch Schindler's List for example,
                Anyway nowt wrong with the Expanse. It's glorious telly.
                I’m not trying to say that, exactly. I watch movies about serious subjects and, occasionally, some heartbreaking stuff - as long as the dog doesn’t die.

But some films feel like too much work for me to choose to watch them when I’m trying to rest my back.

If Roma were in English or I understood Spanish, I’d be more inclined to stick with it. The black and white doesn’t bother me, but it seems like an odd choice. I’d think the colors of Mexico in the 70s would make it more compelling and immersive.

I’m also trying to watch that Anthony Hopkins version of King Lear. I guess i’ve never seen or read King Lear before. I didn’t realize the plot was so disjointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                  I’m also trying to watch that Anthony Hopkins version of King Lear. I guess i’ve never seen or read King Lear before. I didn’t realize the plot was so disjointed.
                  Playing King Lear is often talked of as the crowning glory of any actor's career but the play itself is a bit of a slog. The same is true of Hamlet.

Comment

I don’t find Hamlet to be a slog.

Comment

I was v hungover yesterday, and watched Last Man, (fortunately I knew the story backwards) and enjoyed it immensely. I watched some Anna Kendrick Vehicle and it was very enjoyable, if you don't mind her neurotic schtick. But the best thing I watched was the fly on the wall Documentary series about Sunderland's efforts to bounce back to the premier league last season that is on Netflix. It's the anti City webseries nonsense. It's glorious.

Hamlet is great. They really pile up the bodies like they were making an elizabethan "Commando."

Comment

I've had ebola for a few days so I binged Sabrina in between sleeps. Pretty nicely done.

Comment

Second the Sunderland doco. Just watched Springsteen on Broadway. Well, on Netflix actually. Loved it; but then I would.

Comment

I watched Episode 9 of series 3 of the good place. Very interesting philosophy discussion this week and D'Arcy Carden is simply brilliant doing almost all of the legwork for the episode.

Comment

I bought The Meg on Virgin Movies last night. It is EVERY BIT as good as a film about Jason Statham and a team of impossibly young and beautiful marine scientists battling a fuck off great big shark could possibly be. When you buy a movie there you get it for 24 hours so I'm going to watch it again tonight.
                              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 19-12-2018, 13:57.

Comment

I don’t find Hamlet to be a slog.
                                It's three and a half to four hours long without fairly radical cutting. At that length my default position is that anything is a slog unless it proves to be otherwise by being exceptionally good. So Hamlet isn't necessarily a slog but as I get older I find myself less inclined to take a punt on it.

Comment

I actually saw the four-hour Kenneth Branagh Hamlet in the theater. In Boston. At that theater that was down that alley by the COMM building at BU. It's one of two films I can recall seeing that had an intermission. The other was Ghandi, which I saw with my family at the Kern Building on campus. Now if I tried something like that, I'd break it up over several sittings.

I think that may be the only uncut version of Hamlet I've seen. I don't recall ever being bored, but I was grateful for the intermission to piss and get a beverage.

And I can't recall what usually gets cut in the versions that are cut. I've seen several versions on film, but never on stage.

I wouldn't mind a four hour play. Theater tickets are expensive - might as well get your money's worth, and proper theaters have concessions. I saw Henry V at the Barbican that time I was in London. They have a full bar and what not. I'm not accustomed to that seeing as most of the theater I see is at a high school.

Comment

I wouldn't mind a four hour play. Theater tickets are expensive - might as well get your money's worth, and proper theaters have concessions.
                                    This is the drawback of being a dedicated cheapskate like me; the cheap seats are often smaller and less comfortable than the more expensive ones, not just less favourably positioned.

Being able to pre-order refreshments for the interval never gets old for me.

Comment

After my bike ride in the wintry sunshine I watched 1.5 episodes of Counterpart- is there earlier discussion of this intriguing series..?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                        It's three and a half to four hours long without fairly radical cutting. At that length my default position is that anything is a slog unless it proves to be otherwise by being exceptionally good. So Hamlet isn't necessarily a slog but as I get older I find myself less inclined to take a punt on it.
                                        I guess you wouldn't be interested in tickets for The Ring cycle I'm giving away then?

Comment

Hoo boy. There's 8 hours you'll never see again.

Comment

Nineteen hours TBA. Spread over three days, if experienced as intended

Comment

Nine....teen....hours? Who would do such a thing to you?

Comment

Richard Wagner. And people still flock to see it.

Comment

I understand why you're giving the tickets away...

Comment

Heh!

Actually if I ever had the opportunity to see the whole thing — and could afford it — I'd jump at the chance. I've watched it all on video (I did a course on RW for my Masters) and wasn't remotely bored. I mean when else are you going to see/hear music played on ten tuned anvils? That's some seriously heavy metal man.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X