Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Watching

So, what have you seen lately? At the cinema, on DVD, on TV, whatever.

Current Watching

Cinema: There Will Be Blood
    DVD: The Grapes of Wrath
    TV: Mad Men

The first two were excellent. The last one is starting to lose it's fizzle.

Comment

Current Watching

I loved the first episode of 'Mad Men' but there seemed to be a massive drop-off in quality in the second, I still have high hopes for it though and much catch up on 3 & 4 soon.

Comment

Current Watching

I saw There Will Be Blood last Friday. It was so good that I have decided that I want to become an oil prospector - not so that I can get rich and live in a big house with a bowling alley, but so that I can earn just enough money to allow me to quit my job and spend the rest of my days watching There Will Be Blood over and over again.

I also watched Die Hard 4.0 on DVD, which was a couple of hours of mindless fun, as you would expect. In fact, it was the perfect film to watch over Easter, as I had eaten so much chocolate that my blood took on the consistency of treacle and having to think about a film might have caused my heart to explode.

Comment

Current Watching

Garage Totally excellent. A proper film.

Semi-Pro I really liked this. Will Ferrell is aces. It's almost good enough to be the Slap Shot of basketball.

The Ruins This is silly, gory, predictable and a bit nasty.

Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay This is just silly.

Angel Not the new Ozon, an old thing with Stephen Rea and Ray McAnally. I dodn't understand it.

Catch me if you Can What a great story. I hate Tom Hanks, but even so, this was enjoyable.

Arranged Arranged marriages for Jewish and Indian girls in New York. They can work out well!

An adaptation of Solzhenitsyn's The First Circle which I forget the name of, and haven't finished, but it looks pretty good so far.

Comment

Current Watching

I'm going to see Juno tonight. Can't hardly wait.

Comment

Current Watching

People keep talking about Mad Men. I've got the series here but have been avoiding it. I must assign myself a couple to see what the fuss is about.

Comment

Current Watching

Reaper. Enjoyable way to pass an hour. Imagine Buffy played by Jack Black.

Shoot Em Up. Ridiculous. My mum loves this film; I think Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti need to fire their agents. A soulless, pointless clone of Sin City without any style to redeem it.

Blast From The Past. Better than I expected from a film starring Brendan Fraser and Alicia Silverstone. Harmless time-waster.

Comment

Current Watching

DVD: Cowboy Bebop, the movie. Like the TV series, but shorter

TV: Just finished my Angel marathon, now I'm going through season 3 of Arrested Development and Robot Chicken.

Comment

Current Watching

I've only seen one Robot Chicken thing and that was a Star Wars thing and it was genuinely hilarious. I didn't even realise it was a series type thing.

Comment

Current Watching

30 Rock

Not that much else at the moment, since we've finished most of the shows.

I just wish Battlestar Galactica would arrive from netflix already though. "Very long wait" my ass.

Comment

Current Watching

Got through the 6 available episodes of The Big Bang Theory.

Since the start of March I've watched series 5,6,7 and I'm on 8 of South Park. I used to love it when it first came out, then lost track, it's been great catching up.

Watched I now pronounce you Chuck & Larry which was very funny, and much much better than I expected.

Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares in the US has been very entertaining, although sometimes a bit hard to follow. It's alot more verbal, but alot kinder to the stupid restaurant owners.

The new series of Two and a half men is still keeping me amused.

Comment

Current Watching

I've only seen one episode of The Big Bang Theory and it was stunningly disappointing. So very old school, so very telegraphed.

Comment

Current Watching

Ooh, I can't wait to see the new Harold & Kumar, lyra. I don't want any spoilers, but can you tell me: is Neil Patrick Harris in it again? He's on one of the posters, but I just want to be sure.

The American version of Kitchen Nightmares bored me very quickly--too much Fox hype, an embarrassing opening credits sequence, and a lot of the situations seemed obviously scripted to me.

I'm really glad that Paradise Hotel 2 has gotten good. Not near the best moments of the first one, but still entertaining.

Comment

Current Watching

I am gradually working my way thru season 1 of "Battlestar Galactica". Very Johnny-come-lately so unable to even read the old thread, in case of spoliers.

I am a "Lost" devotee (still) but apart from that all I've watched on telly this week was the "Mastermind" final. Felt sorry for the bloke who came a close 2nd, who appeared to live with his Mum.

"There Will Be Blood" last really decent film at flicks. "Vantage Point" would've been an entertaining way to spend 2 hours, if the trailer hadn't ruined it, oh and I saw "Bank Job" on a whim yesterday on the way home from work. I thought it was well enough made, though the plot suffered from revealing too early who/what/why, rather than perhaps springing it on us (and them) later.

On dvd/at our Cineclub, I've recently seen Preminger's "Bunny Lake is Missing" which is a very nice, darkly comic satire about swinging London and Renoir's "Le crime de M. Lange", which is one of my all-time faves. At home on dvd I watched "Clockers" at the weekend. Not as good as I remembered, perhaps cos i was remembering Richard Price's novel, rather then Spike Lee's joint.

Apologies: I note the bold function let me down there

Comment

Current Watching

Film
                                'Michael Clayton'. Enjoyed it very much. Tilda Swinton really is brilliant in it.

TV (Cable)
                                'Lovespring International'. Silly and fun.

Comment

Current Watching

I'm watching Sky Sports News. It's OK, but the plot's a bit weak, and they keep introucing new characters every few minutes and make no attempt to connect it all together.

Comment

Current Watching

My missus is off snowboarding for a week on saturday, I may have to have some sort of Battlestar Galactica marathon.

Comment

Current Watching

I felt sorry for the Mastermind runner-up too. The clip of him sat at home talking about The Godfather trilogy whilst his mother sat looking into space was pretty tough viewing. Fair play, the chap who won knew a lot about London Bridge. He did have the worst hair I've ever seen on a human being, but I guess you can do whatever you like when you're Mastermind champion.

The Big Bang Theory hasn't made me laugh once, but for some reason I find myself watching it every week. I don't really enjoy Skins that much either, but I'm yet to miss an episode of the current series.

Other TV I'm watching-

Mad Men - Looks great but not exactly pacey. The David Beckham of Sunday night drama.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - when More4 decide to actually show it - they replaced it on Monday night with a re-run of Pheonix Nights for gawd's sake.

Dexter - The scenes with Micheal C Hall are superb and enough to keep me tuning in. It falls down when it throws in sub-plots about peripheral characters though. Last week there was a storyline about one of his colleagues wanting to buy a gift for his wife, which seemed pretty pointless. More killer, less filler please.

Gavin and Stacey - tidy.

Comment

Current Watching

I've got about another 120 episodes of Seinfeld to watch as well. I could do with a sick day or 12.

Comment

Current Watching

I've just finished downloading "Soul Deep", the BBC series about the history of black popular music. No idea whether it's going to be any good or not, though. Other than that, I've been catching up on S19 of "The Simpsons". One word: ropey.

Comment

Current Watching

Enjoying "Mad Men", "Ashes to Ashes" and "Wainwright walks" at the moment, nearly always on the BBCI player...

Comment

Current Watching

I've only tried the BBC media player thing once, to watch a programme about Munich. Is it really good as everybody seems to think it is?

Comment

Current Watching

TV: Skins. Imaginative, unpredictable, full of terrific jokes, sexy but above all really heartfelt. Even to point out that it doesn't patronise its audience would be a bit patronising. The best UK drama of recent years. Also watching Love Soup, Gavin & Stacey (series two even better than the first, improbably), the tremendous Mad Men (which is really daringly subtle and uneventful, relying pretty much entirely on densely written two-handers that gradually unravel the characters' horrible personalities), Boston Legal which is as brilliant as ever, and Damages, which is possibly too fiendish for its own good (this week's had a "shock" that wasn't shocking at all, as it was about the only shocking possibility left that hadn't happened already) but by Christ I want to know how it turns out.

Film: the cinema is a distant memory but the last DVD was Transamerica, which I thought was flimsy and contrived.

Comment

Current Watching

I'm watching Sky Sports News. It's OK, but the plot's a bit weak, and they keep introucing new characters every few minutes and make no attempt to connect it all together.
                                                  Stick with it, they'll repeat it all in 20 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X