Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    I can't quite bring myself to watch this Monkey reboot (is that what it's going for, or is it just another telling of Journey to the West?). If it doesn't have the music and the narration and the sound effects and hammy acting and the random gender swapping, it's just not the same.
    I think they've gone for parody reboot. It is missing the music from the original's opening title, but it is referenced in an early episode. There is hammy acting aplenty, and random gender swapping, and enough references to the original to keep it reasonably entertaining.

Comment

Went to see “Redoubtable” - Hazanavicious’ adaptation of Anne Wiazemsky’s memoir of her brief marriage to Jean-Luc Godard. French friends told me I’d both love and hate it (I did a PhD on Godard & 68).
      I really enjoyed it and expected the neglect of the politics so didn’t hate that, as they probably imagined.
      It’s a very clever homage/parody to the best of his 60s films; it’s very funny at his expense and it vindicates my PhD thesis completely- so what’s not to like?!
      Since there were only 8 people at its 1st evening screening, I think I’m in a very specific venn diagramme for this one.
      But if you like early Godard, do see it.

Comment

Hinterland is dark stuff. I thought it was going to be similar to Shetland but it is more like Wallander/Swedish noir or The Tunnel. Lead detectives with lots of demons are a common Netflix staple but this holds its own among them.

Comment

Hinterland is very goiod. It's also excellent in its Welsh language format - Y Gwyll. I use it to keep my language skills up

Comment

Is Shetland any good? I’ve tended to stay clear of Scandi noir and the Brit knock-offs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              Is Shetland any good? I’ve tended to stay clear of Scandi noir and the Brit knock-offs.
              I love Shetland. it's half police-procedural, half advert for the Shetlands.

Has anyone seen Atlanta? Season 2 finished in the US on Thursday and I think I'm almost at the point where I can call it a masterpiece. It's not a comedy anymore, if it ever was, but it never fails to shake your core.

It's coming to BBC2 tomorrow.

Comment

Season 2, no. But I loved Season 1. The episode with Glover trying to get paid in the club was sublime.

Comment

Yes Atlanta is something special. I was going to flag up the s2 episode concerning the recluse in the mansion and the piano with the coloured keys. One of the eeriest half-hours I've seen in some time.

Comment

Shetland is a visual pleasure, makes me want to spend some time in the Scottish islands...

Hinterland is superior stuff. The sound design is sublime, there was an excellent article about it in Another Escape or Ernest well worth reading. The use of the Welsh landscape is also a big plus.

Comment

Apparently Shetland is mostly filmed in Ayrshire and Renfrewshire, a matter of miles from the Glasgow indoor shot studios, as with Trainspotting, where almost all the interior and most of the exterior shots outside the likes of Princes St were filmed West Side. Think they looked for suitably bleak treeless vistas on the Clyde estuary, only a few establishing shots (eg Ferries or whatever or distance shots of the archipelago etc) were actually filmed in the Far North.

Comment

Was a Suzi Quattro lookalike really chief physician to the Sun King? Versailles really is a bit shite. Chevalier like a full size fabulous Tyrion.

Comment

Louis XIV ooks like a puffy James McAvoy.
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-05-2018, 02:13.

Comment

Crossed with Tobey Maguire. And Rhys Meyers. A terrible disease.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-05-2018, 02:31.

Comment

No wigs on anyone, that’s a fox paw straight away no?. All that lovely hair would hae been lice ridden back in the late 17th cent. Shaven heids and a half ton of wig on bonce laddie or lassie surely. Or lead painted ladies. No one looking white like the the white of the last wsc reboot. All healthy skin heaving bosoms. Very raw on the violence/raunchy wench scale for summat on bbc1.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-05-2018, 04:15.

Comment

"Safe" is crap. Avoid.

Comment

Thanks. I did wonder.

Comment

I'm enjoying series 4 of Gotham, having just about worked out what happened during the series when it disappeared to Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      "Safe" is crap. Avoid.
                                      Indeed. Formulaic tosh with plenty of overacting & a score that tries to turn the drama up to 11 but instead ends up driving you mad. Gave up midway through episode 2.

With the wife away a couple of days I thought I’d give the BBC’s 4-parter The City and The City a go. Having read and liked China Mieville’s book a few years back, I found this a let down too.

Comment

It would have been fine if they hadn't felt the need to to insert the wife character and motivation. So hamfisted.

Comment

Just watched Atomic Blonde.
                                          Boy was that mis-sold by the trailers.

Wasn't very good either.

Comment

I concur. I watched it on a plane. It was all it deserved.

I've finished watching the latest season of Silicon Valley, which has become one of my favourite things on TV. Everything about it is great, from the always slightly changing opening credits onwards.

And The Americans, 2 episodes from when it finishes forever, is building the drama very nicely indeed. It has a very ominous feel that things are not going to go well for anyone.

Comment

'Retribution' was also poor - gave up 10 minutes into Episode 2 when they started to dig a massive hole to bury a car without either the police or press noticing.

Benedict Cumberbatch and Kelly Macdonald are excellent in 'A Child In Time' but I couldn't see any point in it except for the quality of the characterization and acting. There is no plot.

Comment

I just realised we watched A Child in Time and I'd totally forgotten. Utterly unmemorable, or my memory is just used up.

Better is Cumberbatch's Patrick Melrose though it might end up being a bit of a vanity project, too early say two episodes in.

Trust is worth watching. Donald Sutherland is amazing as John Paul Getty. Considering he's in his eighties he's in excellent form. Where necessary he can still play fifty with no problem at all. As subtle a performance as I've ever seen from him.
                                                Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 21-05-2018, 23:50.

Comment

John Oliver's thing about "Rehab" was really good. (YouT*be)

And, I remember him in practically, if not actually, the first Mock The Week. He wasn't very assertive, but I am fairly sure he was vociferously unhappy about someone else's gag*. And now, and especially on chat shows (admittedly hosted by other comedians), he is just naturally funny. I think that he can't quite believe he is where he is. And he is, with or without loads of writers, really funny.

I look at this thread sometimes and wonder whether I miss it: following a series, or a season. And I sort of do. I missed the last whole season of Mom. But I still have season 3 of Bosch to watch, before number 4. It just seems like such a hassle. And, it's right at my fingertips.

Anyway, as you were. The last TV programme I watched all the way through, was Bill Maher doing his thing, and Jordan Peterson was one of the guests.

*I also think he is passionate about the stuff he covers. And, on occasion, he has really put himself "out there."

Comment

In the "sitcoms deemed only good enough to be shown daily on ITV2", the winner has to be Superstore starring America Ferreira. Mrs Thistle somehow spotted this in the listings at Christmas and since then we've been recording it. Nearly at the end of the 3rd series and I still find it funny.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X