Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Have a good time all the time, that's my philosophy, Marty!
    Teams
    Bath City FC; Porthcawl RFC (bandwagon-jumping);Wales in most things.
    Biscuit
    Fig roll - deal with it.
    Actor
    Vincent Price (increasingly)

So, how bad is this new Peter Kay show?

That was in the middle of the two new programmes

I have every comfort and every sport
    Teams
    Wales & Wimbledon
    Biscuit
    Dark Chocolate Digestive
    Actor
    Steve Spiers

I thought there was an overlap?

Teams
    Wales & Wimbledon
    Biscuit
    Dark Chocolate Digestive
    Actor
    Steve Spiers

Wyatt Earp wrote:
    It was thin stuff, though. The imperative to visit every state during the series ensured it would be really shallow.
    It was unsatisfying wasn't it? The interesting bits (The interviews with the Harvard pastor and the aging socialite for instance) were worthy of much more screen time and some pieces (all the NYC stuff, Sting especially) were pointless.

I think the well established fact that watching Fry read the phone book would still be engaging broadcasting is being exploited too far at the moment.

The Haahvuhd guy in particular was fascinating. I found myself wondering whether he's always looked and talked like that, with that fogey suit and that Boston Brahmin accent, or whether in the 70s he wore a fro and a dashiki, said things like "Suckah!" and "Jive turkey!", and listened to Parliament, or anything. He must surely have been tempted. I would have been.

Wyatt Earp wrote:
    It was thin stuff, though. The imperative to visit every state during the series ensured it would be really shallow.
    Agreed. It skimmed through 4-5 states so quickly you didn't get any idea of the topography or culture of each the State. And despite Fry writing and presenting there wasn't any real attempt at humour the way Clive James managed with his series of Postcards.

It must have cost the BBC a small fortune to produce it too.

WE:

Here is the Harvard professor (Peter J. Gomes) on the Colbert Robert report the other week, if you want to see more of him. He seems an engaging chap.

Biscuit
    The bucolic nightmare of Cumbria borders

Really, it should have been a 50-part documentary. There's not enough Stephen Fry on television these days.

It's not ALL shit, really
    Teams
    Exeter City and Liverpool
    Biscuit
    The noble Bourbon
    Actor
    John Thompson

The first forty minutes or so of the Peter Kay spoof was unadulterated, laugh-your-guts-out genius, and I'm not surprised (and indeed delighted) that OTF has failed to acknowledge it as such.

It would have been very easy to make a lame "observational" spoof of the genre, like Harry Enfield did with the Dragon's Den; he didn't. Almost every scene was pushing boundaries that were so far off the boundaries of taste that they had you asking "should I really be laughing at this? Can I? Oh Christ I can't help myself".

"R Wayne" doing a duet with a black ventriquolist's dummy, singing "Ebony and Ivory"?

Pete Waterman summarising every single act with "that's the best I've seen in TWENTTY YEARS!"

The bit where "2 Up 2 Down" are all lined up on stools, a la Abba, and the camera cuts back and one of the girls has fallen on the floor and the other three are all still clapping along?

The bit where Cat Deeley asks "Geraldine" if she's never had the "balls" to do this before, and he double takes and says 'well I wouldn't say that'?

Michael Jackson being introduced to "Boyz to Men" and asking them how old they are?

To dismiss that as simple spoof is at best lame and is more probably jealousy. Like saying J K Rowling has just re-written "The Hobbit" and chucked in a few old Hammer Horror monsters along the way.

It will win more BAFTAs than the Office Christmas Special.

Teams
    Wales & Wimbledon
    Biscuit
    Dark Chocolate Digestive
    Actor
    Steve Spiers

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
    "R Wayne" doing a duet with a black ventriquolist's dummy, singing "Ebony and Ivory"?

Pete Waterman summarising every single act with "that's the best I've seen in TWENTTY YEARS!"

The bit where "2 Up 2 Down" are all lined up on stools, a la Abba, and the camera cuts back and one of the girls has fallen on the floor and the other three are all still clapping along?

The bit where Cat Deeley asks "Geraldine" if she's never had the "balls" to do this before, and he double takes and says 'well I wouldn't say that'?
    Er, quite. Hysterical eh?

Didn't you recently think a Sara Cox parody of the Katie Perry song was funny though?

I think Rogin's being sarcastic. At least, by Christ I hope he is.

I think he isn't.

dear god I hope he's being sarcastic. If Peter Kay had actually got his little black book out and hunted for a cast of comedians - rather than giving Dr Fox and co their big acting break - this show could have had a bit of potential. Watching Cat Deeley obviously struggling to remember the name of the show every time she said it was painful.

I am literally angry with rage
    Teams
    Aston Villa

archivedmusicpress wrote:
    Wyatt Earp wrote:
    Agreed. It skimmed through 4-5 states so quickly you didn't get any idea of the topography or culture of each the State. And despite Fry writing and presenting there wasn't any real attempt at humour the way Clive James managed with his series of Postcards.

It must have cost the BBC a small fortune to produce it too.
    The fault isn't with Fry, it's with the BBC for their obsession that every series should have six episodes. See also the latest Charley Boorman "wow" fest.

If everything has to be six episodes then he should visit about 12 states. Since the concept is visiting every state then he needs more screen time

Biscuit
    The bucolic nightmare of Cumbria borders

It sould have been a 51-part documentary, with him visiting Britain in the last edition. How biting would that have been?

I think you can over analyse these things. It made me laugh. Quite a lot. More than a lot of the 'comedy' I've had the misfortune to sit through recently.

But then I quite liked Max & Paddy partly I suppose because Max, or is it Paddy, is a spit for my best mate.

And I thought Cat Deeley was ace. Absolutely perfect. Maybe she thought it was a real show and wasn't acting at all. Or maybe she just played it well.

I was half-cut, mind.

I thought bits of it were very good. i thought the medley sung by peter Kay's character was absolutely amazing. my enjoyment of it was severely hampered though by not knowing anything about the programmes he was spoofing.

I've got the Elm Street blues
    Teams
    Carlisle United
    Actor
    Mid 90s Mike Myers
    No great opinion on the man himself (like some of his stuff, can leave some) - just noting that next year's Peter Kay arena tour is now at 121 dates. I'm guessing this makes it the highest attended / grossing tour (in the true sense, rather than a Mousetrap or similar long theatre run) ever in the UK & Ireland?

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    McIntyre probably gives it a run for its money

I've got the Elm Street blues
    Teams
    Carlisle United
    Actor
    Mid 90s Mike Myers
    Thought he was the next most likely at that level, but 'only' did 71 (or possibly 73) arena dates in 2012, grossing 21m.

Edit, and 'only' 65 next year.
    Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 22-11-2017 at 12:49.

Meh
    Teams
    Horsham FC
    Biscuit
    Dark chocolate digestive
    Forty five quid a pop for Peter Kay tickets apparently. I thought Mrs Flibl was crazy paying twenty eight to see Jimmy Carr.

We are Groot
    Teams
    Salop, Cymru, Devils, Padres
    Biscuit
    Choc and Hazelnut Boasters
    Actor
    Mr Tumble apparently
    Fair play, though. 121 nights getting up there and doing your routine is hard work. He could just be doing QI and Bake Off Extra Slice.

Teams
    Wales & Wimbledon
    Biscuit
    Dark Chocolate Digestive
    Actor
    Steve Spiers
    The renumeration for the gigs completely dwarfs anything he could earn doing anything else.

Live every fucking day
    Teams
    Liverpool, Doncaster Rovers, Ireland
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cake (HMRC know best)
    Actor
    Dan Ackroyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    The renumeration for the gigs completely dwarfs anything he could earn doing anything else.
    He'll count his blessings. What will he get paid though?

Quote Originally Posted by wiblflibl View Post
    Forty five quid a pop for Peter Kay tickets apparently. I thought Mrs Flibl was crazy paying twenty eight to see Jimmy Carr.
    Ha! I laugh at your 45 quid, a quick search online offered me tickets, on legitimate sites, for prices from 138 to 163 for his Dublin shows

Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    To be fair, 28 quid to see Jimmy Carr is excellent value. Although not so much for the 'greatest hits' thing.