So, how bad is this new Peter Kay show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been lucky enough to see a preview? Horse?

Are we talking about Rory The Racing Car? Alisha actively refuses to watch it, because it's about racing cars and not pink girls.

Comment

The full horror

Comment

Not seen it, no. They didn't send a DVD, which could well be because they didn't think it was a good idea. (It could genuinely not be ready yet, of course, but it seems unlikely.)

Comment

Good to see everyone's going into it with an open mind.

Comment

Well, why on earth would you do that? Or indeed how?

Comment

Um... Just watch it, I suppose.

Comment

I like peter Kay. I thought Phoenix nights was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and his stand up is hilarious. Surely there is a very good chance that this will be funny?

Comment

The point is, everybody has preconceptions about shows, whether positive or negative - you yourself must hear about projects from people you don't like and have consequently low expecations.

In this case you just (presumably) don't agree with the predictions, as well you might, but it doesn't make them closed-minded.

Comment

I think the alarm bells are ringing due to a combination of Max & Paddy's Road To Nowhere, the long lay-off since then, and the fact that on its own terms this sounds atrocious.

Comment

The trailer ( and the two hour running time ) bring to mind those three terrifying words for any fan of comedy;

Extras

Xmas

Special

Comment

The last two of those words are superfluous.

Comment

This is so, so, so, so bad.

Just caught about 15 minutes as I was flicking through the channels and not a laugh in it. A three minute sketch stretched across two hours and relying on the ability of Cat Deeley, Pete Waterman and Dr Fox to deliver satire.

Teeth-grindingly, hide - behind - the - cushion - in - embarrasment bad.

Comment

Phew.

Comment

It's a bit too believable to be funny, as much as anything else.

Mind you, the trailer for the new Charlie Brooker show looks a bit interesting - not sure it justifies a full series rather than a one-off, mind. Fairly nasty looking stuff, possibly.

Comment

The inclusion of the wonderful Kevin Eldon may tip the scales in favour of me actually bothering to watch that Brooker thing.

Because I've been sat playing a hacked version of the Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 demo all evening and have sadly missed what Peter Kay has been doing with his time for the last four years.

Comment

Ha, like a complete simpleton I was actually momentarily freaked by the "unseen" trailer (the nice little trick in what the poor girl writes in her own blood).

Comment

"Teeth-grindingly, hide - behind - the - cushion - in - embarrasment bad."

It's not as bad as that.

I think it's desperately easy. Kay is taking a very obvious target and aiming at a low-brow audience, clearly uninterested in creating anything particularly challenging, but there were moments in it when I laughed a little bit, simply because it would be churlish not to.

Which makes it better than 'Max and Paddy', though not a great yardstick I'll grant you.

Comment

It's the Scary Movie problem, innit. Spoofing something that's funny already, so half the time you end up just copying it rather than making actual jokes. Doesn't work.

Well, I say that but I've only seen the first ten minutes so far.

Comment

No the difference between why the real things are funny is that they're real people who don't believe they're bad rather than actors trying to play bad. Plus the three judges were all disposed of by Simon Cowell - who makes these kind of shows.

Comment

"eeeeeeeh, aren't weddings funny!!"

I'm Peter Kay

Comment

Nah didn't work for me. Too too close to the shows he's targeting.
                                            One funny moment for me, free Nelson Mandela seguewaying into umbrella-ella song.

Comment

It's not as bad as that.
                                              No, it was "quite-easy-to-watch-if-you-can't-be-bothered-to-turn-over" sort of way.

About 30 minutes of good material.

It was exactly his "Extras Christmas Special" but McCartney singing the "Home & Away" theme was better than Bowie

Comment

Bored Of Discipline wrote:

It's not as bad as that.
                                                No, it was "quite-easy-to-watch-if-you-can't-be-bothered-to-turn-over" sort of way.
                                                You didn't even turn over for Stephen Fry?!

Admittedly, his doc was thin stuff but several leagues above Kay's bilge.

Comment

It was thin stuff, though. The imperative to visit every state during the series ensured it would be really shallow.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X