Piggyback advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piggyback advertising

Was I seeing double the other day, or do the new adverts for Red Bull say "Red Bull Gives You Wiings"?

Advertising will eat itself. And then it will vomit itself all over our faces.

But nobody will notice any difference.

Right, kids?

Piggyback advertising

You want to hear fucking brilliant advertising? Well, promotion rather than advertising, but brilliant nonetheless?

Canada's largest fast food chain (yes, even bigger than McDonalds, et al) is Tim Hortons; known primarily for their take-out coffee and baked goods.

Each year they do a promotion called Roll Up The Rim To Win. You roll up the rim on your cardboard cup to see either a prize (anything from a free donut to a new car) or (more likely) "Sorry, Try Again".

Their nearest competitor, Country Style, has a promotion going where you can take in your Tim Hortons "Sorry, Try Again" cup and get a free medium-size cup of their new and improved Country Style coffee.

What an utterly brilliant way of initiating a first-time visit (which is generally the single biggest obstacle in marketing any business) while bitch-slapping the competitor's biggest, glitziest annual promotion.

Comment

Piggyback advertising

Tim Horton's should make all their cups winners.

Comment

Piggyback advertising

I dunno, WOM. One trip to Country Style is usually enough to prevent repeat vistits.

Comment

Piggyback advertising

I don't understand Purves' post. "Red Bull gives you wiings" has been their slogan for years. What am I missing?

Comment

Piggyback advertising

"wings" not "wiings" (Nintendo...)

Comment

Piggyback advertising

There was always a multiple i in the Red Bull ad. Perhaps they have made it only two because of the Wii but it was never just 'wings'.

Comment

Piggyback advertising

Didn't a sanitary towel give you wings, too? I did they just have wings? I'm not au fait with all this malarkey.

Comment

Piggyback advertising

Maybe it's just a side-effect of the town I'm living in, but the phrase "roll up the rim to win" sounds filthy.

Comment

Piggyback advertising

Country Style coffee is a weird idea, though. Unless the country's Kenya or somewhere.

Comment

Piggyback advertising

Didn't a sanitary towel give you wings, too?
                      Yeah. The theme tune on the advert was Bette Midler singing "The Wings Beneath My Wind"

Comment

Piggyback advertising

That sounds like a recipe for a bladder infection.

I'd use "On The Wings Of Love" by Jeffrey Osborne, with the implicit that your man will pleasure you even during menstruation, provided you wear this particular brand of pads.

Comment

Working...
                        X