"Since the Premiership began" bullshit bingo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Since the Premiership began" bullshit bingo

More "since the Premiership began" crap today as I had a double take when the BBC said that Man Utd had had the worst start ever to a Premiership season. "It can't be that bad," I thought, "they were in the second division and everything" before clocking the 'Premiership" qualifier. It's like "top scorer since the Premiership began". Who fucking cares? It was a rebrand, that's all.
    Last edited by Bored Of Education; 18-12-2018, 19:53.

The "start" bollocks is the more egregious, for me, Brian.

Comment

True, true. May not be an exact quote, to be fair.

Comment

The Guardian had "worst start in 28 years", in its headline. The useless pricks.

Comment

Was there a worse start for Man Utd at a later stage?

Comment

Starts tend to be earlier.

Comment

Would "worst first half of a season" be better?

Comment

"Since the premier league began" is an utterly terrible way to describe what is a meaningful inflection point in the development of football. But it's got fuck all to do with cheerleaders dying of exposure in oldham. The start of the 1992-93 season is the introduction of the backpass rule, and football either side of that is almost two entirely different sports.

Comment

Tell that to Huddersfield, Preston, Villa, Wolves and Tottenham fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    Would "worst first half of a season" be better?
                    In as much as it's meaningful, yes, it would.

Comment

The Guardian did at least overshoot the start of the Premier League with their incorrect 28 years.

29 years ago Man United were 13th in Division One
                      P17 W6 D3 L8 GF24 GA24 Pts21

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/...december-1989/

Whereas they are now 6th in the Premier League
                      P17 W7 D5 L5 GF29 GA29 Pts 26

But at this stage in 89 there were 20 points between top (Arsenal) and bottom (Man City). There are 36 points between Man City and Fulham.

This of course was the season of Michael Knighton, 35,000 crowds at Old Trafford, rumours of Howard Kendall replacing useless Ferguson (went to City instead and kept them up) and that fucking Mark Robins goal.

Comment

Is there another shorthand for restricting the stats to just the modern era? Football has almost become a different sport since the 90s, and it's definitely nothing like anything that was played before the 60s.

Comment

But that is the sort of argument that feeds hostility to history. There's a continuity, even if advent of the Premier League coincided with the introduction of the backpass rule, the abolition of standing for fans, and the rise of the player as a corporate entity. Why look for a point of rupture?

Comment

Are you lot holding no truck with the idea that the Premier League is a breakaway and new competition, and that Division 1 still exists? For example, the trophy that Leeds won in 1992 is still awarded to the winners of The Championship, and thus PL era records are both accurate and acceptable?

Personally, I'm not arsed. Liverpool have 0 Premier League titles, which is 20 fewer than Manchester United. Or they have 18 league titles, which is 2 fewer than Manchester United. Either way I'm happy.

Comment

It's interesting.

Virtually no one in the relevant countries has issues with "professional era" records, or with major organisational mileposts such as the introduction of Serie A or the Bundesliga.

And yet there is a strong argument that the introduction of the Premier League was nowhere near as significant a break point as any of those events.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                Are you lot holding no truck with the idea that the Premier League is a breakaway and new competition, and that Division 1 still exists? For example, the trophy that Leeds won in 1992 is still awarded to the winners of The Championship, and thus PL era records are both accurate and acceptable?

Personally, I'm not arsed. Liverpool have 0 Premier League titles, which is 20 fewer than Manchester United. Or they have 18 league titles, which is 2 fewer than Manchester United. Either way I'm happy.
                                Surely it's 13 fewer?

In which case, Liverpool can then argue that they still have 11 more Football League titles than United.

Comment

I'll have truck with it.

Comment

I do miss the United are a bigger club than Liverpool debates on OTF. Can we discuss which club has spent the most (net) in transfer spending in the Mourinho era? We'll need TAB for amortization

Comment

And Jamie Carragher has still scored more goals against Liverpool than any other player in the Premier League era.

Comment

The EFL have joined in. What on earth is the difference between the old third division and League One "in its current guise"?

https://twitter.com/SkyBetLeagueOne/status/1075400280676712448

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                          Surely it's 13 fewer?

In which case, Liverpool can then argue that they still have 11 more Football League titles than United.
                                          Both have actually won the Leagues they played in 22 times, for fans of Division 2/The Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                            Surely it's 13 fewer?

Yeah. Soz.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                              The EFL have joined in. What on earth is the difference between the old third division and League One "in its current guise"?

https://twitter.com/SkyBetLeagueOne/status/1075400280676712448
                                              They seem quite confident about this- what about derbies at Hillsborough in relatively recent times..?

Comment

The only derbies in "league one" as opposed to division 3 (but obviously etcetc) were in 2011/12 and the attendances were 28,136 at Bramall Lane and 36,364 at Hillsborough.

The other season we met in the third division was in 79/80 and there were 45,156 at Bramall Lane and 49,309 at Hillsborough

Comment

Sunderland would do well to beat all of those, I reckon

Comment

Working...
                                                  X