X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go with Hughes and Bruce on a joint ticket for maximum lolz

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post
      If you're looking for a former player managing abroad, how about Steve Coppell for a short term appointment (heh), currently managing ATK in the Indian Super League?

Or Gabriel Heinze, in charge of Velez Sarsfield in the Argentine Primera Division?
      I would think there's a good chance that given the manner in which he left as a player, Heinze wouldn't be the most popular choice with a lot of fans (and I realise you weren't being serious). But from his managerial career so far I think there are far worse candidates, and some of them have been mentioned on this thread and fit the apparent profile of former United player. Vélez play decent stuff, he's tightened the defence up no end, and he's used the kids plenty (even by Argentine league standards). He's also regenerated a team which, before he came in, was moribund and directionless. I'd like to see him for a bit longer first, or managing in European football, but as of December 2018, if you told me he's going to be Manchester United manager at some point in the next decade or so, I'd be quite happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        I’ve only just realised that Man Utd’s next game is at Tan Utd so the idea of OGS starting the job with a thumping win there is just too delicious.
        He might be disoriented by seeing the stadium full.

I can't imagine anyone thought they'd ever see him back in Cardiff, let alone as a manager, let alone manager of Manchester United.

Colin will be reveling in the looming media circus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
          One of the biggest mysteries of the Mou era will be just how Man Utd finished second last season (how, exactly?) and in the previous campaign won the FA Cup and the Europa League. The ex-special one may have overseen some dreadfully negative football, but his reign wasn't entirely devoid of success.
          They finished second, nearly 20 points back, because they had the second-best defense in the league and had a relatively lucky run of results over the course of the season that meant they finished ahead of Liverpool (who were probably better) and Spurs (who were about the same), and were aided and abetted by Chelsea revolting against Conte and the memorial slow-motion implosion of Arsenal under late-period Wenger.

So, more like "second technically, miles behind the best team, about as good as two others, and better than two teams who were having severe managerial difficulties" isn't quite as imperious as "second". Winning the EL was good, mind.

Comment

"They finished second, nearly 20 points back, because they had the second-best defense in the league and had a relatively lucky run of results over the course of the season that meant they finished ahead of Liverpool (who were probably better) and Spurs (who were about the same),"

This is hilarious.

Comment

Liverpool fail to beat Manchester United in the league last year, and finish six points below them, but were probably better.

Comment

Also, mourinho inherited a large, pretty well balanced squad, who had the best defence in the league the season before he arrived, despite massive injury problems. Man Utd had a huge squad of senior internationals and talented young players. And then they bought another four senior internationals. Mourinho had enough players that he could field a team of outcasts in the europa league which looked an awful lot like the previous season's first XI, and they were basically better than the team he was fielding in the league. So they easily got through the group stage, and some of the players got into the team for a bit. They had an insanely easy draw, and got really lucky against celta vigo. Also Mourinho gave up on the league with seven games to go, citing five injuries as too many to try and qualify for the champions league.

The thing is that He spent a lot of time in his first season trying to fuck over players so he could force them out of the club. He treated wayne rooney pretty much exactly the way he treated Juan Mata at chelsea, and he tried to treat martial, rashford and shaw the way he reacted to De Bruyne and lukaku when told that the club expected great things from them in the future. He was given the German player of the year, and playmaker of the dortmund team, he gave him 45 minutes on the wrong wing in a manchester Derby, and then didn't pick him again in the league until december, Saying that a man who moved to Brazil as a teenager to further his career and spoke seven languages, wasn't willing to adapt, and wasn't able to handle the cold of manchester (though he's a fucking armenian, and played for Shakhtar)

As to 2017-18, mourinho basically just had a bigger squad than spurs or liverpool, and didn't have too many distractions after they were knocked out by the might of Sevilla.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                  "They finished second, nearly 20 points back, because they had the second-best defense in the league and had a relatively lucky run of results over the course of the season that meant they finished ahead of Liverpool (who were probably better) and Spurs (who were about the same),"

This is hilarious.
                  It's fair enough. Liverpool got to the CL final, and De Gea made an awful lot of saves. Man utd let in 28 league goals, which would indicate that they had a very good defence, but their expected goals against of 45 goals, would suggest that man utd had a pretty bad approach to defending and david de gea had an obscenely brilliant season.

Comment

It's a 38 game season, and at the end of it the league table tells you the best teams.

Comment

I had totally forgotten that Liverpool were in the CL final.

The keeper throwing it in the net thing, wasn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                        I had totally forgotten that Liverpool were in the CL final.

The keeper throwing it in the net thing, wasn't it.
                        I watch it at least three times a week. Wonderful football.

Comment

Expected goals is bullshit. Your argument here appears to be that because Manchester United had a better goalkeeper than Liverpool it meant they were a worse team. United finished 6 points above Liverpool and were unbeaten against them in the league. I don't really see how you can argue that Liverpool were better.

God, I bet Justin wishes he was still on OTF.

Comment

Yeah, goalkeepers are a part of the team.

Comment

Expected goals are a bit like predicted exam results. If I am forecast to get an A and I end up with a C then I'm not given the higher grade by default.

Comment

Yes but the point (I guess) is that the low number of goals conceded is due to the performance of one player, rather than any kind of tactical planning or defensive organisation. So the credit goes to De Gea rather than Mourinho.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  Expected goals are a bit like predicted exam results. If I am forecast to get an A and I end up with a C then I'm not given the higher grade by default.
                                  Yes, but it tells us something has gone a bit wrong and let's find out why that might be?

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post
                                    Yes but the point (I guess) is that the low number of goals conceded is due to the performance of one player, rather than any kind of tactical planning or defensive organisation. So the credit goes to De Gea rather than Mourinho.
                                    I suppose so, considering that De Gea was already there when Mourinho arrived.

On the other hand, Klopp bought Karius and picked him in the CL final.

Comment

A temporary appointment is the only choice that Woodward has, given that no candidate fitting his self-imposed criterion of being a commercially attractive galactico is a) available or b) willing to come in mid-season.

There’s also the fact that signing a galactico manager and his inevitable entourage is the last thing one would do if one was seriously trying to sell the club, as it is extremely likely to reduce the price abuyer is willing to pay by an amount at least equal to the cost of buying them out.

I am genuinely surprised that the fan base hasn’t turned on Woodward en masse. It is easy to see why the Glazers are happy with him, but the supporters are supposed to care about football.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                        OGS could be a shrewd appointment, provided it is temporary. United have no realistic expectation of qualifying for the CL, or of winning the thing (though stranger things have happened*). Right now, the important thing is to build up a dispirited group of players, and lift the pall of darkness that has settled on the club since David Moyes came in and smashed all the good crockery.

I don't know what I expected the underside of the base of the Champions League trophy to look like, but that's disappointing somehow. Looks like they won a knock off Charity Shield.

Comment

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8519576.html

You see, the problem is, no one at the club who cares about this sort of thing knows how to protest since the post 2005 divorce of the fanbase. They just blindly swing around, tilt and windmills, then get a plane banner. The rest either aren't arsed are or resigned to the fact this is Manchester United now. Their great hope for the club appears to be getting rid of the Glazers by them selling out to Saudi Arabia, the Evil Galactic Empire or Hydra off of Marvel comics. A proper evil regime, who are willing to pump the club full of blood money, deliver titles on the back of slave labour and colonising the galaxy using a technologically advanced military and planet-sized battle station. That way there's no way a proper evil regime interested in sport-washing their appalling human rights records will put up with a poindexter like Woodward.

As for as tactics for rebellion go it's a poor one, but possibly better than a fucking plane banner

Comment

Very sad, but very well described.

Comment

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has gone from Molde to something even more rotten.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                                https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8519576.html

You see, the problem is, no one at the club who cares about this sort of thing knows how to protest since the post 2005 divorce of the fanbase. They just blindly swing around, tilt and windmills, then get a plane banner. The rest either aren't arsed are or resigned to the fact this is Manchester United now. Their great hope for the club appears to be getting rid of the Glazers by them selling out to Saudi Arabia, the Evil Galactic Empire or Hydra off of Marvel comics. A proper evil regime, who are willing to pump the club full of blood money, deliver titles on the back of slave labour and colonising the galaxy using a technologically advanced military and planet-sized battle station. That way there's no way a proper evil regime interested in sport-washing their appalling human rights records will put up with a poindexter like Woodward.

As for as tactics for rebellion go it's a poor one, but possibly better than a fucking plane banner

Yes I suspect the majority won't care about how poor the team has become, because they'll never drop below 6th place and they'll continue to win the Sky Sports transfer deadline day every season - and that's all that matters really; folks at home will have a wider selection of Man Utd players to select from when they play as the team on the Playstation or Xbox.

Comment

Ferguson was perfectly happy with the Glazers.

Comment

I'd genuinely forgotten that Schweinsteiger had played for Man Utd until this week. Poor bloke.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X