No announcement yet.

Fuck Off Mourinho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OGS seems like a depressingly pragmatic choice, although the squad is such a strange amalgamation of some very different approaches that I don't think there's much chance of a substantial improvement over Mourinho this season.

(Watch him win the CL and catch one of the current Top 5 now that I've said that.)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      He’s the direct opposite of the guy you just sacked, which seems to me just what is needed at the moment.
      So am I and I've never got Cardiff relegated.

Comment

Throwing my hat in the ring there.

Comment

He has won league titles, you know. And done so at a club who hadn't ever previous been national champions. But the pressure to succeed at Molde is not quite the same as that at Old Trafford, of course (I actually vaguely know the Molde area, as that is where the Norwegian branch of my family are around).

If he does take the job then the Glazers/Woodward's timing is absolutely impeccable, if by this one means costing themselves way more than necessary. Solskjaer signed a new three-year contract at Molde only a couple of weeks ago...

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
            I hope we don't see Mourinho again, ever, anywhere.
            Didn't he say, years ago, that he'd only consider taking the Portugal job when he'd reached his mid-fifties? He's now fifty-five. What's stopping him?

Comment

EIM would bring the magic back

Comment

Hopefully Tony Pulis will be free soon, they can have him!

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                  The romantic in me loves this. The realist wonders what the fuck he's ever done that qualifies him to manage Manchester United.
                  Well he won Molde's first two league titles and finished second. Then Went back and they've been runners up to the much bigger rosenborg in the last two years. The thing is that I don't particularly care that he was terrible at Cardiff. He was an idiot for taking the job in the first place. Diego Simeone would have struggled to make anything of that nightmare.

I think the key thing as Ursus points out is that he's not a paranoid toxic narcissist. He's not an utter cunt who is going to trying to crush the souls of his players and it's not about searching for a player to scapegoat every time that someone makes a mistake. Also I don't know if he's into melodrama. As long as he doesn't wage active wars against many of his best players he'll be an improvement. I've heard him interviewed a couple of times and he seems a fairly thoughtful guy, but I also got the impression that I wouldn't like to mess with him. Aside from that it kind of depends on what his coaches do, and what level of tactical sophistication they can get going.

the major thing that he has going in his favour is that a lot of the clueless entitled enraged cunts are going to keep quiet for a while. Nothing like a bit of nostalgia to quieten the trump-brexit hordes.

Comment

His coaches appear to be Mike Phelan.

Comment

"Well he won Molde's first two league titles and finished second. Then Went back and they've been runners up to the much bigger rosenborg in the last two years."

With all due respect to Molde and Norwegian football, I still don't see how this qualifies him to manage Manchester United.

I obviously hope he succeeds in his time at the club. It'd be great if he won the CL as a player and as a manager. Or even just went out and played exciting football and got the best out of players who've been under-performing for time. But this is still a thoroughly bizarre appointment, even in the short term.

Comment

The people who have already shown they can win the CL and aren’t too old or insane already have good jobs.

Comment

hmm. Phelan wasn't ever the coach whose job it was to tactically set up the team. That was Queirroz first, and then meulensteen. It will be interesting to see how things work out.

Comment

The cones will be set out in the right place if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                              hmm. Phelan wasn't ever the coach whose job it was to tactically set up the team. That was Queirroz first, and then meulensteen. It will be interesting to see how things work out.
                              No one seems to rate Meulensteen quite as highly as Meulensteen rates Meulensteen. I've got some stories about him I'll DM you at some point.

Comment

With all due respect to Molde and Norwegian football, I still don't see how this qualifies him to manage Manchester United.

Well you had the man who pretty much invented modern passing football (for a world where people actually run around), who taught Barcelona and Bayern munich how to basically play the way they now do, and whose methods were largely applied to the whole of spain and germany's youth systems, and eventually England, and you didn't want him either. There's no pleasing some people.

I suppose the thing is that football has diverged so much within countries that having managed the man utd reserves, and Managing a team at the top end of norwegian league is at least as much like managing man utd, as managing a mid table premier league team is. You're certainly more likely to play european football anyway.

Comment

No one seems to rate Meulensteen quite as highly as Meulensteen rates Meulensteen. I've got some stories about him I'll DM you at some point.
                                  Hah, sounds great. The thing is though that if not him then someone had them playing a pretty impressively drilled dutch 4-2-3-1, with inverted wingers and two overlapping full backs, complete with triggers and all. It was very different to what had gone immediately before.

Comment

To quote Alex Ferguson, "He [Meulensteen] loves taking the credit for other people's work."

Comment

I can't quite follow the thinking behind a a temporary appointment. Mourinho is clearly a cock, but you also have a couple of players in the dressing room who think they are bigger than the club - it's like putting a student teacher in charge of the class with the biggest gobs in it. Things will get worse, not better.

Then you have a couple of players who you'd desperately want to keep coming to the end of their contracts who surely won't hang around to see who the long-term manager will be.

Obviously mismanagement is the recent tradition at the club, so nothing new here, but the whole process has been extraordinary. In some ways it's weirdly reassuring to see one of the biggest businesses in the world (sport-wise at least) being as badly led as a couple of places I have worked.

Comment

well when you think about your impressions of particular players, it's important to remember that mourinho has been briefing against his players from the start of his reign of terror. He didn't seem to have too many problems with Paul pogba until people started to ask why he was 10 points behind pep guardiola at the half way point. Then you saw him being left out because Scott McTominay was showing more in training. One thing that Solksjaer will have going in his favour is that there's going to be quite a few players who are keen to prove that they're not the enemy.

Comment

Yes, that's a fair point. However, briefed against or not, when you watch some of the recent performances of, for example, Pogba you'd expect professional pride to kick-in; that he'd be out there giving it is all to show people the manager was lying. That was not the case in a couple of games where he was simply lazy. Now there might be a theory that he was doing that to get back at the manager, but understandable or not, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team if that was what happened.

In any case, the significant issue for me would be the players who have shown professionalism through the Mourinho era but are coming off contract - they're the ones you want to stay. With Champions League football off the menu uncertainty about who the manager will be makes it even harder to keep them.
                                          Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 19-12-2018, 03:12.

Comment

It's hard to play at your very best if you know that your performances are keeping someone who is out to get you, in a job. I think that at this point it's worth remembering that back in 2015-16, the Chelsea players were all so utterly sick of mourinho that at this point of the season they had 15 points. They had won the title the season before, and they won the title the season after. He's that terrible a person to play for. Things had got so crushingly toxic at the end of last season that it was obvious that they needed to get rid of Mourinho. This was all inevitable

I'd be prepared to suspend judgement on pogba until he's playing in a team with a commitment to playing possession football, and attacking in a relatively structured way, and in numbers. It would be nice to see him have a defined role, and several players showing for the ball. Because I don't really remember that being on offer at any stage in his time at man utd. It's important to remember that centre halves really weren't supposed to pass him the ball. If the ball was in the defence, he'd have to wait until the ball was moved to a full back, and then played into the centre of midfield. Only matic was allowed occasionally receive the ball from the centre halves.

Comment

So am I and I've never got Cardiff relegated.
                                              I’ve only just realised that Man Utd’s next game is at Tan Utd so the idea of OGS starting the job with a thumping win there is just too delicious.

Comment

Yeah look, I think we're not too far apart on this and it's not my intention to argue a case that Pogba wasn't hard done by or that Mournho isn't too blame.

I'm just not at all convinced that a temporary manager can build a style of play to suit Pogba - or anyone else for that matter - between now and the end of the season.

I agree it was inevitable Mourinho would go. So why do they apparently not have a coach lined up to replace him? Unless the whole stand-in manager thing is some sort of ruse. I doubt they're that clever though.
                                                Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 19-12-2018, 04:38.

Comment

OGS could be a shrewd appointment, provided it is temporary. United have no realistic expectation of qualifying for the CL, or of winning the thing (though stranger things have happened*). Right now, the important thing is to build up a dispirited group of players, and lift the pall of darkness that has settled on the club since David Moyes came in and smashed all the good crockery.

Comment

One of the biggest mysteries of the Mou era will be just how Man Utd finished second last season (how, exactly?) and in the previous campaign won the FA Cup and the Europa League. The ex-special one may have overseen some dreadfully negative football, but his reign wasn't entirely devoid of success.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X