Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bands which - no matter how good - are absolutely nobody's favourite band.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BoE is hardcore Prod so.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
      I'm not sure what isn't white about Fun Lovin' Criminals. New York Irish/Italian Americans, no?
      I'd agree with that. They're almost as white as I am. And I look like freshly-applied woodchip wallpaper in a student's bedroom.

Comment

Hah. I finally remembered what band I actually had in mind when I started this thread: The Pretenders. Anyone disagree? Probably also The Cars.

Comment

Those are excellent examples.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
            I'm not sure what isn't white about Fun Lovin' Criminals. New York Irish/Italian Americans, no?
            Huey and FLC lay on the Noo Yawkness to such a degree that it wouldn't surprise me if they turned out really to be from St Helens or Barnstaple, rather like Great Yarmouth natives the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

In the early days of BBC3 there was a series in which famous people did guides to their home locales. A suspicious number of Huey's favourite neighbourhood spots were long gone out of business, closed that day or just not where he thought they were going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              Hah. I finally remembered what band I actually had in mind when I started this thread: The Pretenders. Anyone disagree?
              I don't know anyone whose favourite band is The Pretenders but, given the size of hall that they've consistently filled for 40 odd years, those people must be out there.

The underlying question seems to be whether we think that someone whose favourite band is The Pretenders or Dire Straits is likely to be less obsessive about music in general than a big Einstürzende Neubauten fan.

Comment

If Wikipedia is correct, Huey Morgan is at least part Puerto Rican.

Comment

I think Shirley Manson has said in a number of interviews that The Pretenders are her favourite band.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                    I think Shirley Manson has said in a number of interviews that The Pretenders are her favourite band.
                    A classic example of a non-music fan looking for something unchallenging to give the CD player in the Mondeo a work out. Sweeping generalisations win the day yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post
                      You need to see the version performed by Tim Finn with The Wiggles and Captain Feathersword...
                      Always worth watching, that. When I was father to a couple of nippers who really enjoyed The Wiggles, I became slightly obsessed by the big dancer lad in the yellow shirt (I've just found out his name is Ben Murray). He seemed to acknowledge at all times that he was the luckiest dancer in the world and enjoyed the fact that they hadn't sacked him yet.

Crowded House are seen as music gods by the majority of my ANZAC cricket team.
                      Last edited by Vicarious Thrillseeker; 19-12-2018, 12:09.

Comment

Has there ever been a thread on here listing people's favourite artists? It would be fun to see how wide a spread of bands there are. Maybe a top three if narrowing it down to one is too difficult.

Comment

You go first....

Comment

This needs a new thread.

Comment

Somewhere there are threads (multiple threads) that were connected to a vogue for "knockouts" at one point that probably include favourite bands, most hated bands (that one was won by Limp Bizkit I recall) favourite tracks etc.

I bet GO could find them

Comment

New thread duly set up. I went first as suggested.

Comment

There are tons in the archive with "knock out" in the title in the music folder, but they appear to be about musical tastes. I think that our original threads would've been in oldtf, which is long gone.

Comment

The problem with identifying the 1/2/3 favourite singles/albums/artists is that it can change over the course of the day depending on mood, whereas the stuff I actually like can literally run into the thousands. It's almost impossible to condense it down without feeling that something has been left out.

Comment

Exactly. Now get cracking. Top 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                        I don't know anyone whose favourite band is The Pretenders but, given the size of hall that they've consistently filled for 40 odd years, those people must be out there.
                                        I love The Pretenders, especially Chrissie Hynde. On a personal level, I'd put her up there with Patti Smith.

Comment

How about The Pogues?

I can't think of anybody who ever labelled them as their favourite. Some bloody great songs and at least one great album, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John View Post
                                            How about The Pogues?

I can't think of anybody who ever labelled them as their favourite. Some bloody great songs and at least one great album, though.
                                            You've never been to Ireland have you?

Comment

I once jokingly remarked to an Irish colleague that the Pogues were a British band. Which does have an element of truth, but didn't go down well.

Comment

Also clearly never been on the 'Your favourite artists' thread.

Comment

I'd rate almost every album, and between The Pogues and Shane Macgowan and The Popes, I've seen them live nine times. Including the tour with Joe Strummer singing. And the tour without Shane or a stand-in at all.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                    You've never been to Ireland have you?
                                                    I live in Ireland! And I still haven't met anybody whose favourite band is the Pogues.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X