Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bands which - no matter how good - are absolutely nobody's favourite band.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Finns are regarded as national treasures in NZ, no?

I recall Imp saying that he was really into Wings in the late 70s, but I may be misremembering that and I don’t think he specifically said they were his favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post
      He was! Any news of him of late?
      No idea. He just disappeared. I can't even remember what his real name was.

Comment

Did anyone really like The Bachelors? I know that, supposedly, everyone's Mum liked them but did they really? Or was just that that they weren't hairy and made loud noises so they were a default choice, like Ken Dodd?

Comment

I much preferred the Spinners (the very un-Detroit version).

(To WOM) I haven't the faintest idea.
          Last edited by Gerontophile; 18-12-2018, 05:16.

Comment

Crowded House is a strange call for this thread. They have a fan base that borders on a cult. On stage Crowded House were (are?) intoxicating. Why would the staff of Melody Maker have ridiculed anyone for liking Crowded House? Great songs with some really good lyrics, great musicianship, great live act...

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              Oh heavens...I've finally offended...
              Not offended. Just mystified.

Did you mean they're a bit crap or not taken seriously by people who take music seriously (muso hipsters) or did you mean dodgy/suspect as in mates with tyrants, support bad regimes, say homophobic things, garnering #MeToo claims, that sort of thing? Because I hadn't heard that about Hootie & the Blowfish.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                The Finns are regarded as national treasures in NZ, no?

I recall Imp saying that he was really into Wings in the late 70s, but I may be misremembering that and I don’t think he specifically said they were his favorite.
                I liked the Finn's in their early Split Enz days. Six Months In A Leaky Boat is a cracking song.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                  I liked the Finn's in their early Split Enz days. Six Months In A Leaky Boat is a cracking song.
                  You need to see the version performed by Tim Finn with The Wiggles and Captain Feathersword...

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    Fun Lovin’ Criminals is a very good shout. I understand they are almost unknown in the States, but were weirdly popular in 90s UK, almost Gods in Ireland. You can’t help but admire the chancers.
                    They still play in the UK. Two of my friends still go their gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                      Why would the staff of Melody Maker have ridiculed anyone for liking Crowded House? Great songs with some really good lyrics, great musicianship, great live act...
                      They were seen as being a bit MOR, I think. Not an especially meaningful criticism, but just being very good at what they did wouldn't necessarily have carried much weight in the febrile, scene-hungry environment of the old weekly music press.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                        I saw Huey Morgan do a DJ turn at the British Library earlier this year. Absolute money for old rope but who can blame him.

The foyer at the British Library is a really good space for events like that; high ceiling, clean modern lines, lots of different levels to stand at. With music and lights it's a bit like being in a club scene in a Michael Mann film.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          Not offended. Just mystified.

Did you mean they're a bit crap or not taken seriously by people who take music seriously (muso hipsters) or did you mean dodgy/suspect as in mates with tyrants, support bad regimes, say homophobic things, garnering #MeToo claims, that sort of thing? Because I hadn't heard that about Hootie & the Blowfish.
                          Ah, no. More like 'seemed like an ok idea at the time but didn't hold up, for one reason or another'. With Hootie it was obviously less serious, but I've heard a lot of Hootie regret over the years.

He was also a huge Hip and Rheoststics fan, so he saved some cred. It was at his funeral that I met Lifeson. And one of his best mates was Alan Frew from Glass Tiger. And he jammed with Howard Jones when his drummer didn't turn up.

Comment

The Move?

Comment

You need to see the version performed by Tim Finn with The Wiggles and Captain Feathersword...
                              I hadn't seen or heard before. Just watched it and I wish I hadn't. I'm now scarred for life!

Comment

The Average White Band.

Comment

I'd add Quicksilver Messenger Service, but you never know...

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                    The Move?
                                    Oh man, I loved The Move. Especially in their early Ace Kefford days.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      I'd add Quicksilver Messenger Service, but you never know...
                                      No you don't. I still play Shady Grove a fair bit.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                                        I hadn't seen or heard before. Just watched it and I wish I hadn't. I'm now scarred for life!
                                        Credit to The Wiggles for barely changing the lyrics. "The tyranny of distance" would seem a tricky proposition for most pre-schoolers. Yet somehow the song stands up pretty well under the strain. When it popped up midway through a video Statto Junior was watching I could barely believe what I was seeing.

Comment

The Average White Band.
                                          Clue's in the name really...

Comment

T always liked the Move too. And AWB.

Add Heatwave. Made some cracking singles. Great live show. Best remembered now for Rod Temperton.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                              I really like them and love the first album. Seen them live a couple of times as well. However, I do appreciate that they are pretty much chancers. Their's was, along with Cypress Hill, probably the whitest audience I have ever seen in a gig that wasn't by a white band.

Comment

The Average White Band.
                                                Clue's in the name really...
                                                Well, the name is a joke that riffs exactly on that. Of course, the Average White Band laid down some funky tunes that get sampled like mad in hip hop.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                                  Fiction Factory. (Oh wait, maybe not.)
                                                  I doubt whether Fiction Factory were even Fiction Factory's favourite band.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                    I really like them and love the first album. Seen them live a couple of times as well. However, I do appreciate that they are pretty much chancers. Their's was, along with Cypress Hill, probably the whitest audience I have ever seen in a gig that wasn't by a white band.
                                                    I'm not sure what isn't white about Fun Lovin' Criminals. New York Irish/Italian Americans, no?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X