Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bands which - no matter how good - are absolutely nobody's favourite band.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Deacon Blue.
    No, Deacon Blue are the absolute favourites of a friend of mine and he is very voluble about it.

Another where, if I hadn't already known this, I'd probably have nominated them.

Comment

Ok, on an over produced pretentious vaguely political 80s Scots AOR tip, Hue and Cry? Surely no one is worshipping at the feet of Pat Kane.

Comment

Assuming that Pat Kane himself is ineligible, you could be onto something there.

Comment

My mum really loved Deacon Blue, but think Erasure is the band closest to her heart. And Erasure are pretty fuckin good. Haven’t heard her play fuckin windy bollocks like Dignity or Real Gone Kid in more than a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            What do you mean 'dodgy' and 'suspect'?
            Oh heavens...I've finally offended...

Comment

...but think Erasure is the band closest to her heart. And Erasure are pretty fuckin good.
              Love Erasure, but almost every song sounds like the same mid-tempo Eurodisco song now. See also Pet Shop Boys.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                Love Erasure, but almost every song sounds like the same mid-tempo Eurodisco song now. See also Pet Shop Boys.
                Well that Pet Shop Boys add-on is a supreme cloth-eared moment.

Comment

Really? Late-model PSB? Point me in the right direction, man!

[Yeah, see, I've just gone and sampled all of Electric and Super (which I've done in the past, too), and I just hear the same 'beat'-based songs rather than melody-based stuff I used to love out of them. It's like it's all written for dancing to rather than listening to.]
                  Last edited by WOM; 17-12-2018, 20:42.

Comment

Wings. Apart from Alan Partridge, anyone who likes them would presumably like The Beatles more, unless they are insane.

Comment

If anyone’s favourite band is M People, they should be more pitied than hated. Though Heather Small and Mike Pickering deserve all the hate and negative waves sent their way. That fucking voice.
                      I don't know what Heather Snall's voice was all about. Before M People she was the singer of a soul band called Hot House, for whom she sang with a normal voice. And what a great voice it was. "Don't Come To Stay" is such a great '80s soul track.

Comment

I love Deacon Blue. Saw them in Liverpool last week and they were excellent.

Also somebody mentioned I Am Kloot earlier - they've done some very good songs including Same Deep Water As Me, I still do, Avenue of Hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                          Tears For Fears
                          Del Amitri
                          Elbow

Not so terrible they couldn't have hit singles, and put out multiple albums and for most of them to sell well. But you couldn't imagine people proudly wearing their T-shirts around town. Could you?
                          Tears for Fears was the fave group of an ex-girlfriend of mine.

Comment

Mister Mister

Huey Lewis and The News

The Fixx
                            There was a Huey Lewis fan club in my junior high school and I know the girl who started it was obsessed with them. But that was 33 years ago.

Comment

Ok, on an over produced pretentious vaguely political 80s Scots AOR tip, Hue and Cry? Surely no one is worshipping at the feet of Pat Kane.
                              If he hadn't blocked me on Twitter, you might have lost.

I called him an herbaceous boreder. 4 fucking great singles though.

Fiction Factory. (Oh wait, maybe not.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                I called him an herbaceous boreder.
                                Um...what did you mean?

Comment

Really? Late-model PSB? Point me in the right direction, man!

[Yeah, see, I've just gone and sampled all of Electric and Super (which I've done in the past, too), and I just hear the same 'beat'-based songs rather than melody-based stuff I used to love out of them. It's like it's all written for dancing to rather than listening to.]
                                  How about Yes, their 2009 album?

Comment

Crowded House - AKA Neil Finn

Superb legacy and fine musicianship. But anyone's favourite? There must be a reason for that quip in Partridge.

Comment

Oddly, ex OTF'er Battylad was absolutely nuts for anything Finn related.

Comment

Oddly, ex OTF'er Battylad was absolutely nuts for anything Finn related.
                                        He was! Any news of him of late? He got me a ticket for our playoff final against Watford. Which was an experience. And a shock. Me, him and his two mates stood in their hotel room shortly afterwards and just stared silently into space. He was/is an excellent fellow.

I saw Finn (Neil and Tim) at the Union Chapel in the 90s. I was a big fan of all things Crowded House, but they weren't ever actually my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                          I have a friend whose favourite band is Mud. Now, I like Mud but, before meeting him, they would have been a band I oddly have nominated for this thread.

Tin Machine (I know they aren't really a band)
                                          The Darkness
                                          Wings
                                          Sleeper, Echobelly, Elastica, all that lot
                                          Fun Lovin' Criminals
                                          Groove Armada
                                          Saxon
                                          Any of my bands, it appears.
                                          Wings are surely the archetype of this par excellence?

Comment

I also love Deacon Blue and at one point it would have been a photo finish between them and U2 for which was my favourite.

Comment

I’ve got a bit of sick in my mouth. But this is my problem, not yours, Statto.

Comment

No problem. This is the exact same reaction my musical taste used to get when I posted regularly on here in the days of the hegemony of Godspeed You, Black Emperor! and Lift To Experience. I'm almost relieved to have caused an OTFer to involuntarily emit bodily fluid within an hour of a resumption. It's what dalliance would have wanted.

Comment

Fun Lovin’ Criminals is a very good shout. I understand they are almost unknown in the States, but were weirdly popular in 90s UK, almost Gods in Ireland. You can’t help but admire the chancers.

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John View Post
                                                    Crowded House - AKA Neil Finn

Superb legacy and fine musicianship. But anyone's favourite? There must be a reason for that quip in Partridge.
                                                    I've just remembered that Caitlin Moran story about the time she worked at Melody Maker in the early 90s. She and Pete Paphides bonded over a shared but secret love of Crowded House, a hidden lust that would have led to widespread ridicule in the office had it been exposed.

They're still married and have two kids. That really does demand the wearing of a Crowded House T shirt.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X